Author Topic: K75RT Starter Bearing lubricant  (Read 4850 times)

Offline K75RT Keith

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
K75RT Starter Bearing lubricant
« on: March 30, 2013, 03:33:56 PM »
The starter is apart and the front bearing looks like it could use some refreshing.  What type of grease should I use?  Lithium?  Moly/Spline Lube?  Bacon?
You can't help someone who doesn't want to hear the answer.

1990 K75RT

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: K75RT Starter Removal
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 04:20:47 PM »
There's an O-ring seal near the tip that might be sticking.

You want to pull the starter straight back with some muscle.

Offline cy7878

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 05:09:06 PM »
Hi,

I had the same problem trying to remove the starter on my K100.  Lee told me to rotate the starter first clock and counterclock wise to break the seal, then wiggle to get the back out.  WOrked like a charm.
Chuck

San Diego
1985 K100RS

Offline K75RT Keith

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 12:10:48 AM »
After some time and effort I got the starter out.  Wiggle, twist and pull seemed to work.   Thanks for the advise!

1990 K75RT

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: K75RT Starter Bearing lubricant
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 12:58:33 AM »
Why did you edit your original post and topic title?

Offline cy7878

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 01:16:41 AM »
I was wondering why my answer didn't seem to make any sense now. 
Chuck

San Diego
1985 K100RS

Offline K75RT Keith

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 11:35:46 AM »
NO, Your answer was correct.  I changed the title rather than start a new thread. 

1990 K75RT

Offline cy7878

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 03:31:41 PM »
I think both Tim and I (at least I) were trying to say was leave the thread the way it was.  If people in the future ever do a search on how to remove the starter, then the answers will make more sense.

As to your new question on bearing.  I'm sure there are going to be different opinions on this.  But my own understanding on this is that bearing manufactures pack a thick grease inside for longevity reasons, and although it has more resistance and attracts dirt, the grease really isn't going anywhere.  However, when maximal performance is called for (meaning you would want lower rolling resistance), or when the bearing is cleaned with cleaners, the grease gets washed out.  This is good for a while, but then you will need to relube the bearings subsequently and frequently to avoid insides getting dried out.  There is really no way to repack a ball bearing.

So as far as I know, you're better off wiping the dirt and grime away from the outside and leave the inners alone.  I'm interested in what other people think on this as well.
Chuck

San Diego
1985 K100RS

Offline JamesInCA

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 01:15:51 PM »
Yes, please make new threads for new issues. The supply of threads is not constrained; they're really quite inexpensive.

By removing the old information it not only places subsequent posts out of context and makes them confusing, it also diminishes the value of the board for future searchers looking for solutions to the same problems.

Tags: