Author Topic: Has anyone here used this Speedo conversion part?  (Read 768 times)

Offline KCinSB

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • Still learning about Bricks from this site!
Has anyone here used this Speedo conversion part?
« on: December 23, 2022, 09:32:26 AM »
To be clear, my Spdo is working and I hope it continues! A friend turned me on to the Euro Motoelectric site, buying stainless rear brake lines and lurking there I saw this interesting part to help with aftermarket gage install. It seems strange the site has no photos of examples, and I’m not even sure I understand the text completely. Such as: what aftermarket gages can be used on a K bike? Anyhow, its an interesting item, and curious if anyone here may have used one or have project photos. I do see the topic Ref at the top, 3rd item down, so its been here…..

The part is: BEP 3.0 Instrument Conversion Box / Maru Labs

From the EME site listing:
“The BEP3.0 was developed for people looking to replace the original cockpit (also labeled Brotbox or "Lunch Box”) of their K1, K75, K100, K1100 bike with a speedo of a third-party manufacturer. And everything done completely stress-free without soldering and tangled wires. No alterations to the wiring harness or modifications of the vehicle are required. Simply plug in and off you go!”
  • Santa Barbara, CA
  • SOLD
No good turn goes unpunished, but it's fun to keep trying.........
1993 K1100RS, with LT Rack&Case, some old BSAs and Triumphs,... some even run!! Recent Dark Side foray... '65 XLCH tractor.

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Has anyone here used this Speedo conversion part?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 10:28:43 AM »
That BEP is something the hackers put on their uneek cafe bikes.  I am guessing that the thingy that EME is selling is some sort of interface between the OEM stuff and the aftermarket cluster. 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline KCinSB

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • Still learning about Bricks from this site!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 11:07:54 AM »
That BEP is something the hackers put on their uneek cafe bikes.  I am guessing that the thingy that EME is selling is some sort of interface between the OEM stuff and the aftermarket cluster.

Yes, Ive just never seen any after market gages or cluster on a K bike, so just interested. At my sign in date here, there were many posts RE failed speedometers, and folks looking for options. So far mine is still working. 🫰
 “From the EME site listing:
“The BEP3.0 was developed for people looking to replace the original cockpit (also labeled Brotbox or "Lunch Box”) of their K1, K75, K100, K1100 bike with a speedo of a third-party manufacturer. And everything done completely stress-free without soldering and tangled wires. No alterations to the wiring harness or modifications of the vehicle are required. Simply plug in and off you go!”
  • Santa Barbara, CA
  • SOLD
No good turn goes unpunished, but it's fun to keep trying.........
1993 K1100RS, with LT Rack&Case, some old BSAs and Triumphs,... some even run!! Recent Dark Side foray... '65 XLCH tractor.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 01:56:49 PM »
Yes, Ive just never seen any after market gages or cluster on a K bike, so just interested.
There are many Bricks with successful aftermarket instruments. One example is this. The BEP is designed as a wire-for-wire interface with the Brick's instrument cluster plug. The degree of success using it depends upon the aftermarket instrument's capability; that is the place where disappointments arise and modifications must be contrived, often with fuel indication, and tachometer interface. Folks should tour the custom area here and at the K100 forum for examples.
It isn't surprising to me that BEP's manufacturer represents it as plug-and-play. Plug-and-sweat bullets-and-howl in frustration-and-climb from a pit of despair-and-play doesn't scan well as ad copy.  :laughing4-giggles:
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline rbm

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 05:08:33 PM »
The BEP 3.0 is designed and built by Maru Labs. If you are lucky you might be able to navigate their web site (www.maru-labs.com/) and find information about the BEP. There is a Downloads page where you can get the installation manual.   The BEP should be compatible with many modern speedometers, any that take a magnetic sensor for determining wheel rotational speed.  Maru Labs states the following in their FAQ:
Unfortunately, we cannot buy and test all speedometers on the market. Only Acewell sends us its speedometers for testing free of charge, so we can only guarantee functionality with Acewell. All other speedometers should normally also work, but without a guarantee...

• Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Tags: