Author Topic: Just joined in anticipation  (Read 301 times)

Offline genius149

• Curious
Just joined in anticipation
« on: September 16, 2023, 05:07:44 PM »
Hi all, thought I'd introduce myself here as if all goes well, I'll be picking up a K75RT in a couple of weeks or so once I've sold my FJS600 Silverwing maxi scooter.

When I first passed my big bike test about 10 years ago, I'd agreed to buy a K75 (can't remember which flavour) from a guy about 20 miles away.  As it was the first bike I'd looked at, I'd been cautious and looked at a couple of other bikes, but the K75 was the one I wanted. I phoned up the guy who then gave me a half-baked story about a pot of paint falling on it and it being damaged. Clearly he didn't want to sell so plan B was required.

Plan B was me travelling across the country to Trowbridge and agreeing to buy a K100 RS from Jason Dawe (former Top Gear presenter), who'd got it restored for his Dad, but it was too big and unwieldy for him and there was a small crack in the fairing.  Price was agreed, and I then rode home to Margate, Kent in cold, blizzard conditions at a sedate 60mph.  A few weeks later, I found out about the magic 'venturi' effect of the bit just below the headlight that meant the faster you rode, the more planted it felt. I'm not one for speeding, but riding a bit faster than I should just felt so much safer. Very counter-intuitive.

Eventually, that one was sold and I bought a K1100LT (or was it an RT? I can't remember).  This was another great bike, but I didn't realise the K100 had a low seat.  The K1100 didn't so it was always awkward.  I soon swapped it for a Triumph Sprint 900 which was a good bike, but a bit too top heavy for me.  I then had two Honda PC800s which were pretty much maintenance free.  Annoyingly, they had electrical problems and mirrors made from unobtanium so they were sold until I got my Silverwing.

I'm hoping that if/when I get my K75, that I don't have to look in here too much for advice.
  • Outside under cover
  • K75RT, Silverwing 600, K1100LT (sold), K100RS (sold)

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Just joined in anticipation
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2023, 06:16:07 PM »
 :welcome You're the only genius here, so far.  icon_cheers
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Tags: