Author Topic: should i part out my first motorcycle or will i regret it?  (Read 2987 times)

Offline herseyb

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
should i part out my first motorcycle or will i regret it?
« on: April 04, 2020, 04:05:37 PM »
I screwed the pooch last summer and put some high ethanol gas in my tank, which had been repaired with a liner that then delaminated.

I have been looking on fleabay for a tank, but it hasn't shown up and in the meantime I have been riding this K1100RS which is more than adequate, if less flicky than my standard.

Realistically, I lack the time money and skills to give it the refresh it needs.  My uncle who helps me get unstuck with major repairs is moving down to the cumberland gap, and that's a big blow for my ability to go beyond routine maintenance.

I could put together a nice 'Bavarian standard cafe street blighter naked conversion kit' from it, since it's got the radiator shroud, engine bars, polished up big head light, works spring upgrade and refurbished ohlins in the back, along with a reynolds rack - but I'm not sure if anyone would want that.  I also have an engine through rear wheel that I got when I was going to swap out the cleaner crank case covers that is basically taking up space...

It can't sit around my shed partially assembled forever, cause I just rent...  But I keep waffling back and forth between keeping the nice bits in a box and junking it,  parting out and getting a new aerostitch or hoping a clean tank shows up on fleabay even though I don't need another road bike.

I just need to shit or get off the pot with it, so what should I do motobrickers? :smoke3 :idunno: :gryphoondelooper :poo
  • Brooklyn
  • '93 K1100RS

Offline herseyb

• Brooklyn
  • '93 K1100RS

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: should i part out my first motorcycle or will i regret it?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 04:17:33 PM »
Have you thought about having the tank professionally welded. Most of the leaks seem to occur out of sight, so if the metal has multiple pin hole leaks and is too thin  plating the area is a viable option. Your local boat place should be able to guide you in the right direction.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Rcgreaves

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • "I'd rather be flying, but this will do nicely"
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 04:40:16 PM »
Call me

Clayton 6087261554
  • Livingston in Southwest WI. USA-"With the good earth all around."
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II
Doing “better than I deserve"

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 07:57:31 PM »
I agree with martin.  If the pump and fuel level sender are still good, I would clean out the tank and have it welded.  I had a repaired tank on one of my bricks, and you never saw the repair. 

In the end, it will be a lot less hassle to sell a complete bike in running condition than trying to get rid of a bunch of parts.  The good news is that the peak time to sell a bike is the next three months. 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 11:52:08 PM »
Part the fecker out. Have R.Clayton Greaves Consulting handle listing on the Motobrick and Ebay. You'll double your money

How many miles on the pictured engine and drivetrain?
  • NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 12:48:08 AM »
I hope I gave good advice here..My theory after a phone chat about this tank is that ethanol ate the sender seal ring causing a leak.  Will vinegar melt the tank sealer? My two attempts resulted in shiner tank interiors.  I suggested vinegar soak inspection, leak testing and rebuild .  I don’t know how an aluminum tank corrodes and fails in the way a steel tank does.  Right? 
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 08:27:34 AM »
I hope I gave good advice here..My theory after a phone chat about this tank is that ethanol ate the sender seal ring causing a leak.  Will vinegar melt the tank sealer? My two attempts resulted in shiner tank interiors.  I suggested vinegar soak inspection, leak testing and rebuild .  I don’t know how an aluminum tank corrodes and fails in the way a steel tank does.  Right?

The ethanol/condensation cocktail lays it self in the lowest lobes of the petrol tank and begins pitting of the surface. Severe internal pitting will work it self to the outer surface. Bubbling paint on the outside will be evidence of a leak/pinholes on those lower lobes.

If leak is due to corroded petrol level sender then a replacement with viton o-ring should be the solution.
Tank mounting area for petrol level sender could also be corroded /in questionable condition.
Vinegar should not be a detriment to an tank liner/lining. Condition of tank lining should be determined with proper cleaning.
Use acetone for removal of exisiting tank liner.
Wear your mask. Stay safe

These guys are the experts http://gastanklining.com/

DIY tank lining by Red Kote
  • NYC NY

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 09:12:28 AM »
greetings...

this is not about your 75... this is about your rs eleven hundert...

i would not fix the fairing damage... i would go out to wild things in lafarge wi and have them measure it up for fur...

have them make you a fur wrap... its gonna be rad...

www.wildthingsfur.com

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 10:33:47 AM »
Hersey gimme another call if there are holes after cleaning.  Always learning here...I’m able to TIG weld aluminum if that’s what’s required.  By my recollection the K11 is a roller, this is a 75 project.  PS make sure to solve leak before fur application though.   One miss placed spark welding and its brick-inferno time baby!  Fur!

Offline herseyb

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 12:49:40 PM »
hell yeah johnny!  Screw finishing the front!  I have a 3" nap icelandic sheep fur.  I could glue some strips along the windshield braces!!  like a moto merkin!

RC - will do, I did not notice any paint bubbling after taking it off, so we shall see....
  • Brooklyn
  • '93 K1100RS

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 03:33:52 PM »
hell yeah johnny!  Screw finishing the front!  I have a 3" nap icelandic sheep fur.  I could glue some strips along the windshield braces!!  like a moto merkin!

should change your user name to 'motomerkin'
has a sexy ring to it hell yeah!
  • NYC NY

Offline herseyb

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2020, 06:28:51 PM »
Okay, so i think I could cut several pieces to make a fitted fur top, and then sew velcro to the hide and sticky the other half to the fairing and it would probably stay in place.   Might need to take it to a hair salon every oil change.
  • Brooklyn
  • '93 K1100RS

Offline Motorhobo

• +20 years of K75
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 07:23:39 AM »
I think the money you'll make parting out the bike and selling on ebay is overrated if you factor in the time it takes to disassemble, organize into saleable units and ship, and then you've got to deal with everything you didn't sell, which will be a lot of bulk because most of the bike is the stuff that doesn't fail, i.e. nobody wants. I have a complete K75 in rubbermaid totes here with the frame hanging on the garage wall and the engine, forks and other big stuff stacked in the corner and I suspect that should I ever move from here, most of it will end up at the dump or be given away. So I'd say - sell the bike as a runner even if you have to take a hit on the leaky tank or let a pro part it out and sell.

My $0.02...
1994/1995 K75 ABS Frankenbike: original engine 136k miles, frame from Gary Weaver (RIP), 173k miles -- Current Odometer: 193k miles
1994 K75 since 2013, 76,000 mi (11k mine) w/California Sidecar Friendship II Sidecar & Black Lab 'Miss B'

Past: 1974 Honda 550/4 (first bike), 1994 K75 (sold), 1995 K75 ABS (parts bike), Sidecar Dog & Best Bud 'Bo' - RIP

Offline herseyb

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2020, 08:27:49 AM »
Well,  I've started tearing into the tank and have found an external glue looking patch that also failed as well as the liner.

I flaked it off and there is about a 1/8" hole there - so at least I know where 1 source of leaking is.  I think it's gonna need the whole kit and kaboodle but I'm gonna give it a shot.   I got the pump out, sender screws weren't moving so I hit 'em with some PB Blaster. 

It's a faded tatty old bike that lived unused under a cover outside for a long time, but these things are just so eager to please once you have them sorted out.  Maybe it can live again!
  • Brooklyn
  • '93 K1100RS

Offline herseyb

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2020, 06:21:35 PM »
I guess this should be a workshop thread now...

Got the sender out, housing is pretty salty but the copper wires look nice.

Pealed a good portion of the liner out. a tremendous amount of aluminum salts came out, but most of the tank looks sound.

I have identified 3 holes below where the prior fix failed.
  • Brooklyn
  • '93 K1100RS

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2020, 08:23:22 PM »
Motorhobo is right, there are only a handful of the parts that really have any market value.  When you consider how much time is involved in disassembly, advertising, answering questions, packing and shipping it's pretty obvious that in most cases parting out a bike is a losing proposition.

How quick do you need to move it, and what is the minimum you need to get?  Can you do a pretty good cleaning on it and sell it as is for $300 as a project bike.  It could be a good platform for a restoration, or a cafe build.  Or you could get it running and list it for $1000 to $1200.  That should move it out pretty quick. 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Tags: