Author Topic: 2020 Great Lakes  (Read 4821 times)

Offline Rcgreaves

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • "I'd rather be flying, but this will do nicely"
Re: 2020 Great Lakes
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2021, 04:41:13 PM »
A great lakes circumnavigation is still very much on my radar, but who could blame the Canadians for not welcoming Americans at their border these days.  Solo it's a brick trip, with my bride we've added a GL1800 moto couch for her comfort.

In December I fulfilled a bucket list goal and started flying a Piper Archer with the help of a local airport club.  I foresee doing the Great Lakes circuit at 2500 feet and 140mph too. 

2020 was a total @#$%@%@#$%... If we can't cross a border it would be satisfying to meet more of you.  Johnny has met up a couple times and huge fun ensued. 

maybe a modified circuit in 2021 is in order.  Id like to see the Mackinaw bridge area,  Id love to ride the Badger Car Ferry. I'd enjoy  tracing more of the Mississippi river flowage.

this would be fun, Ive never done it, Johnny has I believe.  https://www.slimeycrudrun.com/

addendum- my aviation images continue to fly inverted.  Leave this one be....

• Livingston in Southwest WI. USA-"With the good earth all around."
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II
Doing “better than I deserve"

Offline kris

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2021, 09:20:52 PM »
That inverted flying photo looks fun. Reminds me of Tom Cruise in Top Gun flying inverted over the MiG! If I were a betting man (and I'm not...typically) I would bet that the border restrictions will be lifted by summer. God, let's hope so. Can someone explain this to me? You can fly into the States from Canada but you can't drive across (for non-essential travel). But you can fly across and have a service deliver your car across the border and then carry on to Florida, Arizona, wherever. Seems crazy. And people are still flying all over the place anyway, it seems. With warmer weather on the way the risk scenario should look a little better, assuming we all mind our Ps and Qs going forward. As it's turning out it might be the US that chooses to keep the border closed to Canadians. We are woefully behind all modern nations in vaccinating our citizens. Although our numbers are dramatically lower the mutant viruses threaten to set us back. The heat is on for the Canadian government to get its shit together and get this moving! This whole lockdown/ partial lockdown/ DEFCON 5 stuff is wearing badly on people. Business, for many, is being gutted and mental health compromised (again, thank God that we're heading into Spring). I can't wait to get back on two wheels. I'll take just about any strip of asphalt at this point! Here's hoping....
  • In The Hammer!! Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  • 1986 K100RT (Heinz) 2004 Kawasaki Concours (Eddy) 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 (Linda) Previous: 1968 Honda CD175 1973 Kawasaki S2350 1975 Honda CB550K
"I got bike fever bad!!"

Offline volador

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2021, 12:56:41 AM »
A great lakes circumnavigation is still very much on my radar...

this would be fun, Ive never done it, Johnny has I believe.  https://www.slimeycrudrun.com/

addendum- my aviation images continue to fly inverted.  Leave this one be....

RC Maverick of the Cheez

• NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Offline Rcgreaves

• "I'd rather be flying, but this will do nicely"
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2021, 08:21:08 PM »
The old inverted image gag, I'm such a kidder.  Running gag w. Laitch.  I did teach myself to correct such folly, but now it's well suited to the topic.

So for giggles how long would it take to circumnavigate?  About 12 hours by air 140mph cruise with only fuel stops. about 1200 miles 74 gallons AVGAS at $3.70/gallon, so roughly $300 fuel conservatively. 

Here's a link to my 5-minute flight plan

https://plan.foreflight.com/share/accept/01b8f7jLzPvQNBrOaO  click on the MAPS tab and scroll out until you see the great lakes then scroll back in to follow the coastal track.

Like my other 45 year old toys the Archer has needed a battery boost of late to crank up.  After some pattern work this balmy afternoon I dropped it off with the A+P.  Needs maybe a voltage regulator. 
  • Livingston in Southwest WI. USA-"With the good earth all around."
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II
Doing “better than I deserve"

Tags: