Author Topic: BMU Red Triangle Light Flashes 5 Times  (Read 5124 times)

Offline Blue

• ^ Motobrick Curious
BMU Red Triangle Light Flashes 5 Times
« on: March 11, 2016, 10:42:29 AM »
My 95 K1100RS has been very good.  My battery is 3 years old and is strong.  My ABS lights extinguish as soon as I start moving.  My red triangle light extinguishes as soon as I use both brakes seperately.  All being normal.

I am riding along and my red BMU triangle light starts to dimmly illuminate when I front brake or rear brake seperately.   

When I front brake and rear brake at the same time my red triangle light flashes brightly 5 times then stays on. This is not proper operation. 

After reading all threads associated with the BMU red triangle light, I replaced both tail and brake bulbs and checked the sockets and wiring and it is still doing it.  Red BMU triangle light still flashes 5 times and stays on with both brakes on.

Help please.
  • Stovepipe Wells CA
  • 1995 K1100RS

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: BMU Red Triangle Light Flashes 5 Times
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 12:25:52 PM »
greetings...

wanna make sure i understand...

your moto works 100% except once the red triangle light goes out from pulling the lever and pushing the pedal...

it will flicker when you pull the lever only or push the pedal only...

butts if you pull the lever and push the pedal simultaneously the red triangle light flashes 5 times... stays lit... until you pull the lever and push the pedal by themselves...

if so... does your bung  tail light and brake light come on or dim or flash...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 12:54:53 PM »
After reading all threads associated with the BMU red triangle light,  . . .
Just to verify, Blue, you've read this, too?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 05:07:37 PM »
To restate johnny's question, what is your rear brake light bulb doing while the BMU light is flashing during brake activation?
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 12:06:52 AM »
What I really want to know is what the 5 red triangle flashes means when both brakes are applied at the same time.
Let's just call it the BMU light.

I think the 5 BMU light flashes mean the same as the BMU light's dim illumination when one or the other brake is applied. Anytime there are lights lighting that shouldn't, there are shorted circuits. These may be caused by dirty connectors, bare wires, degraded plugs and fixtures, etc. If it were my bike I'd clean all relay and plug connections in the ABS/BMU circuit, then check, and I'd remove the plug from the instrument cluster and clean all terminals and pins there, then check.

How long have you owned the bike, how many miles are on it and when did this problem start occurring? You assert the battery is "strong" but what's its output?
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 07:51:48 PM »
I have been following this thread and have been confused by what you are seeing.  First off, there are no "error codes" as found with the ABS or Motronic systems associated with the BMU so it makes no sense that you are getting 5 flashes.  I am also having a problem in finding any background on the bike itself. 

First, I have some questions: 

How long have you had this bike?  What is the history?  Have there been many years of outdoor storage near salt water?

What is the voltage on the battery with the ignition off?  It should be at least 12.7 - 12.8 volts.  Anything less could do all sorts of electrical whack.

Is the electrical system totally stock?  Are there a lot of extra wires and stuff under the tank and in the relay box?  Are there any gobs of tape holding wires together?  If so, have you looked inside any of those gobs? 

Have you put LED's in the instrument cluster???  I ask this because I have them in mine, and the BMU idiot light flashes visibly at night on application of either brake.

Does the bike have any sort of brake flasher or extra brake lights, LED or otherwise?  I ask because there is a flasher on the market that flashes the brake light and then goes steady.  A problem in that flasher could conceivably cause the BMU to flash each time the flasher tries to flash the brake light. 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 08:06:39 PM »
I mention the Brake Flasher because they seem to have been pretty popular at some point in the past since two of my three bricks have them.  I didn't know my yellow brick had one until I had it a week, put 2000 miles on it and saw the brake light flashing when I hit the brakes in my dark garage(and I was looking right at the brake light).  These flashers aren't very big and mine just look like a little chunk of plastic tangled up in the spaghetti of wire back there.

Can't tell you what to look for since I don't know how many different versions are out there.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 12:07:04 AM »
Good to hear that your sanity is safe again.  Now that you've tended to your personal issues let me suggest on behalf of the other inmates that you hang around and help us harass each other.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Tags: