Author Topic: Possible Sprag?  (Read 4434 times)

Offline smith913

• Motobrick Curious
Possible Sprag?
« on: June 13, 2017, 12:53:51 PM »

I ran into an issue after changing my oil.  The starter spins and that is all.  The fuel pump is active and all lights work.  I am worried that it is a sprag.  I have tried the solution where you spray cleaner in the small hole on the sprag and the same issue persists.  Push starting is almost successful, but never fully starts.  I have a slight hill in the parking lot i use and start pushing it in neutral then once up to speed i pop it into 2nd and press the starter button while releasing the clutch.  I get some sprag activation, but never for long and not enough to get the bike going.
I have tried a charged battery, a new battery but to no avail. 
I used mobil 1 15w-50 on the oil change
I am starting to think it is the starter as i did a rebuild, but im pretty sure reassembled it correctly.

Has anyone experienced any issue like this?

Thanks,
Alex
  • Alexandria, VA
  • 1985 K100RT

Offline wally.fisher

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: Possible Sprag?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 02:27:23 PM »
I ran into an issue after changing my oil.  The starter spins and that is all.  The fuel pump is active and all lights work.  I am worried that it is a sprag.  I have tried the solution where you spray cleaner in the small hole on the sprag and the same issue persists.  Push starting is almost successful, but never fully starts.  I have a slight hill in the parking lot i use and start pushing it in neutral then once up to speed i pop it into 2nd and press the starter button while releasing the clutch.  I get some sprag activation, but never for long and not enough to get the bike going.
I have tried a charged battery, a new battery but to no avail. 
I used mobil 1 15w-50 on the oil change
I am starting to think it is the starter as i did a rebuild, but im pretty sure reassembled it correctly.

Has anyone experienced any issue like this?

Thanks,
Alex
You might have assembled the starter motor brush plate wrong way round, it's easy to do and many have. Google the reassembly for correct method

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline mr_haut

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 02:45:48 PM »
When stationary, does the starter then activate at all. Can you hear it spin?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline smith913

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 02:50:47 PM »
@wally.fisher
Thats a good call, I will check that out after work or whenever I have time

@mr_haut
Yes the starter does spin when stationary.  you can definitely hear it
  • Alexandria, VA
  • 1985 K100RT

Offline bizzaro

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • co pilot
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 11:40:43 AM »
Before you take it all apart again, it may be worth trying to "back spin" the engine and starter?  Roll the bike backwards in gear a few times. It may be enough to "wake up" the sprague if the brushes are in correctly? Good luck.
  • Vermont
  • Current:1994 BMW K1100LT Previous: 1982 Yamaha virago 920,1973 Honda CB550,1976 Yamaha 650 Special
See Ya in the Twisties,
 Bizz

Offline thecableguy

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 12:05:47 PM »
A weak starter can make the sprag seem bad if it doesn't spin quickly enough or with enough power to get the sprag to lock up.  I know, it happened to me.

I take it you are hearing the sprag's blood-curdling squeal when you say the starter spins, and are not just hearing the starter motor spinning like it would on the bench with power applied?

Jim
  • Madison, WI USA
  • 86 K100RT - Brünhild
...to make a long story short, use duct tape.

Offline smith913

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 06:31:05 PM »
It sounds like it is just the starter spinning. I dont hear anything coming from the sprag area
  • Alexandria, VA
  • 1985 K100RT

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 06:58:25 PM »
I have a slight hill in the parking lot i use and start pushing it in neutral then once up to speed i pop it into 2nd and press the starter button while releasing the clutch.
If you can get it started by push starting then do the Rislone or diesel oil flush treatment. You know about that, right?
It is suspicious that it won't start after a starter rebuild. Was it starting before the rebuild?

• Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline smith913

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 07:03:53 PM »
I did some rislone but i was under the impression you had to get it spinning for it to help. As of now the rislone didnt help. I am currently rebuilding the starter again and triple checking my work. Hopefully i just had sloppy work.
I did give the starter a tap and noticed a drop in power, which led to the third rebuild. Im thinking i have an issue with the starter and grounding or load shed? Am i just spouting nonsense?
  • Alexandria, VA
  • 1985 K100RT

Offline smith913

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 07:14:56 PM »
That you all for the advice. Turns out i simply cannot rebuild a starter properly the first or second times. Im getting all the good noises now!  Too bad the battery died during the starting attempts.  Off to the charger :musicboohoo:
  • Alexandria, VA
  • 1985 K100RT

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 07:16:12 PM »
Describing your mistake will help others.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline smith913

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 07:39:58 PM »
The main magnetized cylinder was put on backwards
  • Alexandria, VA
  • 1985 K100RT

Tags: