Author Topic: Replacing OEM instrument cluster with Tenet Speedometer/Tachometer  (Read 22202 times)

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Replacing OEM instrument cluster with Tenet Speedometer/Tachometer
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2020, 01:30:09 PM »
I didn't receive them either. I went out looking for them and found them at 5Aces. It was a little like an Easter egg hunt though.  :laughing4-giggles: Good luck with the project. Give us an update.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Offline Gorgerunner23

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2020, 08:54:35 PM »
I will! Once I get it all buttoned up I’m make a new thread about the whole project. Thanks again for your help.
  • Ilion
  • K75

Offline Texer

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2020, 08:32:18 AM »
Gorgerunner23, did you buy direct from 5aces? I’m pondering the purchase. Thanks -
  • Wa
  • 1987 K100rs

Offline Gorgerunner23

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2020, 08:56:50 AM »
I purchased from a seller on Facebook. Francois Pavy. He is a tenet dealer and has better prices than 5aces. He was a pleasure to deal with and very helpful as well.
  • Ilion
  • K75

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2020, 10:34:11 AM »
I purchased from a seller on Facebook. Francois Pavy. He is a tenet dealer and has better prices than 5aces. He was a pleasure to deal with and very helpful as well.
Except he neither supplied instructions nor directed you to a source of them.  :laughing4-giggles:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Texer

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2020, 11:01:50 AM »
Except he neither supplied instructions nor directed you to a source of them.  :laughing4-giggles:
Thanks - what was the shipping time frame?
  • Wa
  • 1987 K100rs

Offline Gorgerunner23

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2020, 04:04:26 PM »
Despite the lack of directions, he was great to deal with. Shipping took about 2 weeks, but that was because I ordered the “mini” gauge which was not in stock at the time because it was brand new. So I would assume maybe 1 week shipping possibly.
  • Ilion
  • K75

Offline Texer

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2020, 08:53:53 PM »
Despite the lack of directions, he was great to deal with. Shipping took about 2 weeks, but that was because I ordered the “mini” gauge which was not in stock at the time because it was brand new. So I would assume maybe 1 week shipping possibly.

Thanks!
  • Wa
  • 1987 K100rs

Offline emdy

• Curious
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2020, 08:20:13 PM »
I installed a tenet unit over the weekend. By installed, I mean I made a shitty bracket for the speedo and plugged in the connectors. I'm only a few rides in, but the instruments I care about seem work fine out the box (speed, tach, gear, blinker, odo).

• Colorado
  • 1985 K100RS

Offline Texer

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2020, 06:39:37 AM »
Thanks for posting and sharing your progress. 👍
  • Wa
  • 1987 K100rs

Offline Bobsimes

• Curious
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2021, 01:15:50 PM »
Can you choose between kmh or mph with the tenet speedo I can't find any info on the tenet website about this, being in the UK don't really want a speedo in kmh. Thabks
  • Manchester
  • 1985 k100

Offline Quzzy

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2021, 02:01:23 PM »
yes
  • Gironde
  • K100

Offline Bobsimes

• Curious
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2021, 04:17:48 PM »
Do you have instructions on how to change it to mph from km? Thanks
  • Manchester
  • 1985 k100

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2021, 05:03:54 PM »
Do you have instructions on how to change it to mph from km? Thanks
Is your model among the instructions on this page?
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Bobsimes

• Curious
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2021, 03:07:05 AM »
Thank you yes seen it now buried at the foot of the vintage speedo pdf. Thanks 😊
  • Manchester
  • 1985 k100

Offline Krister L

• Curious
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2023, 10:56:48 AM »
Late in the game apparently.
Has anyone installed a TENET basic unit with other Speedos/Tachos than the ones available as a package? I'm thinking of using the 60mm Daytona Velona gauges on my K75 and separate warning lights instead of integrated ones.

Thanks,
Krister
  • Stockholm
  • K75S

Offline rbm

« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2023, 04:32:27 PM »
It should be possible to integrate the Daytona Velona and a separate idiot light panel into the Tenet.  The signals that are available from the Tenet are pretty much compatible with most after market gauges.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline Krister L

• Curious
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2023, 03:32:12 AM »
Thanks RBM, I see in all of your posts that you have a pretty good idea of what works..  112350
Not quite decided which route to take as of yet, with regards to boxes. BEP 3.0, Axel Joost Breadbox Adaptor or Remover, Tenet.. or just take the guts out of the original breadbox and use the necessary boards.. I see quite a few m-unit adaptations as well..

By the way, I came across a post somewhere on here where there was mention of a GPI board of your design i believe. Is that still available?
  • Stockholm
  • K75S

Offline rbm

« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2023, 10:31:28 PM »
Yes,  I'm still building the TGPI board.  The basic functions of my board are the same as the other products you mentioned.  The main difference is that my TGPI board needs to have wires removed from the OEM instrument cluster connectors to attach them, whereas the BEP 3.0 and Tenet don't.  I guess my board is the only one that offers various gear displays which the others don't.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline Krister L

• Curious
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2023, 05:05:04 PM »
Oh, I see. I don't mind rewiring if necessary and if possible I'd like to keep as much functionality as I can from the original cluster. My cluster works fine, it just feels a bit too big..

So, aside from removing wires, what else would I need to do/get in order to adapt your solution to my simple Daytona Velona guages and some as yet undecided string of uh-oh lights?
  • Stockholm
  • K75S

Offline rbm

« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2023, 07:12:17 AM »
The TGPI User guide gives details of the installation.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline HamMan

• Curious
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2023, 01:47:35 AM »
Hey all, I have my tenet installed all working well. I have the Vintage speedometer kit from five aces:https://fiveaces.hk/gb/pack-vintage/30-74-pack-vintage-basic.html#/32-types_of_connectors-compatible_terminal_block

I can switch it from kilometers to MPH by pressing the button on the back when on “total” odometer but it won’t stay in that setting when I power it down. When the bike is turned back on its back to kilometers.

The mileage stays recorded and the back light color. No help with the instructions either and five aces has no clue how to use it either.

Here’s the instructions. Maybe someone who has this speedo can help me out? Looks like @Bobsimes may have dealt with this too.
  • WA
  • 91 k75

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2023, 07:06:38 AM »
Looks like @Bobsimes may have dealt with this too.
Have you used the PM feature here to ask him? When you're changing from KPH to MPH with the button, what happens if you keep the button pressed down when KPH becomes MPH? Could it work like the scanning feature on some radios when locating a station and saving it?
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline rbm

« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2023, 07:52:59 AM »
The Five Aces gauge is a restyled version of the popular Chinese universal motorcycle gauge that is available on Ebay:

The function you describe, pressing the button on the back of the gauge while in total odometer viewing mode, is a standard feature with that gauge.  The KPH/MPH setting might be retained using the continuous power signal to the gauge.  Are you certain that the unstitched 12V power from the battery is maintained at all times, even when the ignition is turned off?
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline HamMan

• Curious
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2023, 10:45:42 AM »
Thank you both for the responses. Yes, I sent him a PM as well so we’ll see if he responds too.

In the instructions it says to undo the red/white wire to setup programming. The red/white wire is also in a two pin connector with a green wire labeled as “cathode” which looks like the ground. Now this is just for the preliminary programming for speed sensor, fuel, etc…there is no KMH to mph in that part. Just in the standard mode for when you’re using the speedometer normally. I undo not wires here red/white and the green when doing the programming. Hold the button on the back for a few seconds then switch on the key and I’m at the programming screen as normal and after inputting my settings that will save as well.

I’ve tried like you’re saying too. Switch it to mph, hold the button on the back down and cycle the ignition. Same thing, back to KMH. It’s not a huge deal, takes all of 2 second to switch it back to mph but kind of annoying is all. I did some further research and found that the speedo is made by a company called Zaddox and it is the SM30 model. There’s another company called Motea and they sell it as well. I need to see if another company has any form of instructions for this speedo besides five aces.
  • WA
  • 91 k75

Tags: tenet five aces