Author Topic: Fuel sender finally broke, need ideas on how to proceed  (Read 176 times)

Offline McQuinn

• Motobrick Curious
Fuel sender finally broke, need ideas on how to proceed
« on: April 15, 2024, 05:40:54 PM »
1985 K100RT, it has the screw in fuel sender under the tank, not the 4 bolt one with the float.  I have the nut that was left after the plastic broke off of it and the 4 pin connector.  I need a way to plug the hole and also run wires through it.  I'm wondering if I can bond a plastic washer to the leftover nut and run wires through it and seal the hole?  My first idea was to find a threaded cap to fit over it and drill a hole to run the wires but I can't find a cap in the correct size and thread.  Or just weld the hole shut and find another way to route the wires into the tank?  Any advice would be much appreciated as this part is impossible to find online.   

• DFW
  • 85 K100RT

Offline sooprvylyn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: Fuel sender finally broke, need ideas on how to proceed
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2024, 07:10:48 PM »
Have you run down to the auto-parts store to see if they have any caps that might fit?  They probably have all sorts of filler caps in a bunch of sizes for various vehicles.  If you do find a cap, drill a hole and use gasket maker to seal it once the wires are in place.
  • Austin TX
  • '93 k1100rs last 7 of vin-6495569
Basic bitches ride Rs

Offline McQuinn

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2024, 07:51:15 PM »
Have you run down to the auto-parts store to see if they have any caps that might fit?  They probably have all sorts of filler caps in a bunch of sizes for various vehicles.  If you do find a cap, drill a hole and use gasket maker to seal it once the wires are in place.

I've been to all the local places here in Dallas, autozone, Oreillys, etc.. as well as home depot, lowes and tractor supply.  I can't find the same size and thread, it seems to be a very unique combination
  • DFW
  • 85 K100RT

Offline sooprvylyn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 08:02:30 PM »
Haha, Welcome to k-bikes. Bmw made sure to make EVERYTHING on these suckers proprietary

If you can ID the diameter and thread pitch, and if you have a  friend w a 3d printer, you could hire a 3d artist on fiver to make you a file for probably $20 and have your friend print it.
  • Austin TX
Basic bitches ride Rs
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline sooprvylyn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2024, 08:03:23 PM »
I'd also check ace hardware...they often have weirdo stuff.
  • Austin TX
Basic bitches ride Rs

Offline sooprvylyn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2024, 08:06:31 PM »
Regarding your idea to repair the existing nut...jb weld is apparently fuel safe. You might be able to use that.
  • Austin TX
Basic bitches ride Rs

Offline McQuinn

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2024, 08:12:20 PM »
Haha, Welcome to k-bikes. Bmw made sure to make EVERYTHING on these suckers proprietary

If you can ID the diameter and thread pitch, and if you have a  friend w a 3d printer, you could hire a 3d artist on fiver to make you a file for probably $20 and have your friend print it.

This is interesting and not something I'd considered.  I do have a friend of a friend that has a 3d printer.  I know very little about 3d printing though and my main concern is whether the material can be submersed in gasoline but I guess I could also seal it from the inside.  Going to look into this
  • DFW
  • 85 K100RT

Offline daveson

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2024, 08:33:01 PM »
One option is to phone a local bike wreckers, or a few. There's one about an hour from me that usually has a few complete bricks for sale, and can supply almost all parts, new or used. When I was last there a few years ago, they could provide every part except for a fuel cap.
  • Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'85 K100RT~100,000km; four other bricks. Past; 1500 Vulcan, V Star 650, KLX 250(dirt bike) TT250(dirt bike)

Offline sooprvylyn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2024, 10:48:31 AM »
This is interesting and not something I'd considered.  I do have a friend of a friend that has a 3d printer.  I know very little about 3d printing though and my main concern is whether the material can be submersed in gasoline but I guess I could also seal it from the inside.  Going to look into this

There are different materials available for 3d printing.  Seems nylon is the one most often suggested for use with fuel, but even then it is suggested to coat it in a fuel resistant epoxy. Worth doing a little research on.

The JB weld thing should also work if you cant solve it another way.
  • Austin TX
Basic bitches ride Rs

Tags: