Author Topic: Clutch, water pump replacement for big trip....  (Read 2357 times)

Offline MEZ

• Never surrender always busy
  • ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • once dead soon forgotten dream big aim high
Clutch, water pump replacement for big trip....
« on: November 09, 2018, 02:12:34 AM »
Gents, as always I end up coming back here for referral after a stint on google to get my info, thank you....

Basically my project K75 is stripped right back and the engine on the bench. I want to change out the clutch for piece of mind reassurance for my big trip. There are the obvious parts to replace as per the manual states but what is the recommended list of components that you would recommend to replace if you were heading off on a RTW trip..??? One guy is offering a full replacement kit with all the plates and housings, springs the lot, is that necessary ??? Just the friction plate..??

Water pump replacement kits, what's the heads up for this operation..?? I have a replacement impeller and seal ready but again YOUR recommendations please gents..???

Thanks in advance..... Mez

• Angel of the North
  • GS12adv '06, K75 GSadv, CRF500L 'special'

Offline TX brick

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: Clutch, water pump replacement for big trip....
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 03:19:45 AM »
Many have reported no success in installing water/oil pump kits. I took mine off and had a trusted BMW shop mechanic repair it. I think some members here who own shops can also do it for you. Hopefully they will see this thread.
Ron

91 K75RT

Belton Tx

Online Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 08:02:17 AM »
If you have designed and fabricated your bike up to this point, you shouldn't have much problem following instructions available here. The site is full of heads-up posts concerning clutch installations, combination pump installations and spares to carry when traveling. Which particular points are eluding your understanding?

Installing the combo pump seals patiently and correctly is essential. A clutch friction disc thickness at the middle range of spec would be nice to have, too. New installation of either would require at least a 500 mile shakedown before embarking on a global adventure. I could ride that within a couple of weeks without too much problem. If I had plenty of money though, there wouldn't be much concern about anything but bandits and bedbugs.  :giggles

You could replace all the parts to which you refer and still have problems that could stop travel dead in its tracks, among them are a faulty ignition control, a faulty fuel injection control unit, a faulty coolant temperature sensor, a failed u-joint, and faulty wiring. When is enough replacement enough?

Get on the bike and go while you are still mentally and physically capable of going. Send photos.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 09:27:26 AM »
To piggy back on Laitch's comment, let me say that you might as well buy a new bike if you feel you need everything on the bike to be as reliable as new. 

While my trips are not circumnavigations, I do get a few days away from home on a bike with 90,000+ miles.  I get my peace of mind by riding the bike regularly at home, performing all the maintenance at the proper intervals, and never deferring any required repairs.  I think the members here will agree that regular use and conscientious maintenance is the best way to keep these machines as reliable as they are known to be.

My second line of defense is what I cal the "Rescue Box".  It is a box of spares to fix problems that may arise during the trip that can't easily be cured at roadside with the few parts I carry.  For my trips, I pack a USPS Flat Rate box with the stuff that can kill the bike and can be hard to get.  The box has the parts, special tools, and miscellaneous, is sealed and just needs to be addressed to where I happen to need it.  I leave it with someone I trust along with the money to cover the postage necessary to get it to me. 

For a trip like yours, I would use boxes from a good international courier service.  I would have a box for each of the various systems on the bike.  That way, you aren't shipping a lot of unneeded parts.  Clearly mark each box with an identifying mark and carry an inventory list with you.  That way, once you can identify what you need(alternator, starter, ECU, etc) you simply have your contact at the home base address and ship the correct box to you.   When the job is done, you can ship the unused parts and tools back home.

Barring a serious crash, I would expect that three or four medium size boxes can support almost any breakdown on your trip. 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline MEZ

• Never surrender always busy
  • ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • once dead soon forgotten dream big aim high
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 01:06:02 PM »
Thanks gents, wise input and just what I needed to hear, the engine and drive chain is really the only standard bit of BMW there is on the bike and I just need piece of mind. From recent input by a new mechanic I've found and you guys on here I think I have quenched my paranoia to a satisfactory level. I measured the friction plate today and it is almost if not to brand new spec so it's going straight back in the bike. The W/P shaft and seal job I will take to my new BMW guru..!!

• Angel of the North
  • GS12adv '06, K75 GSadv, CRF500L 'special'

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 04:39:49 PM »
greetings...

have ridden many days away from home backcointry rides... the 2 things i take and have used... stack of hunderts and aaa card...

let it go... be free...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Tags: