Author Topic: Legit????....Ssuuurrrre  (Read 17616 times)

Offline Freelancer

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: Legit????....Ssuuurrrre
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 10:28:19 PM »
In Texas you CAN get a title only.  For example if you're not going to use the vehicle and not insuring it because you don't plan to operate it on public roads.

http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/titles/title_vehicle.htm

And you pay an annual registration fee to have valid current plates so you cna legally operate it on public roads..

http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/registration/faq.htm

Read those again, Duck. Nothing in them contradicts what I have said.

Texas highways are straight and boring but Texas laws have more twists and loopty loops than a roller coaster. You are inferring things based on the limited amount that you are reading. What you are not getting is that there are other laws and departmental policies used to fill in the gaps that are not on the website.

You say that you can get a title only. I have been saying the same thing but at the time you file for the "title only" you have to "register" the fact that you are declaring the vehicle non-operational.
 Basically, you declare the vehicle as non-operational, file the forms and associated processing fees and eventually recieve a PNO(Non operating vehicle) certificate. (This is still a form of registration. Get it. :2thumbup:)

Admittedly, some people manage to end up with a vehicle title without registering or getting a non-operating vehicle certificate,. Such occurrances are bureaucratic flukes that can put said people in legal hot water.

As to the registration fees??? Where are you getting that I am arguing that you don't have to deal with registration. I've been saying all along that you have to declare your intentions on registering or non-operation at the time of that you bring in your title.

In other words, what the sites do not state is that when you take the title in you are asked for the transfer paper work(which is the title in many areas), show proof of insurance and then declare whether you are registering the vehicle for the road or registering as a non-operational vehicle.

There are many areas that I will gladly and quickly cede to your expertise, Duck.
This, however is not one. Pretty sure that my lifetime of experience in dealing with the registry offices down here gives a more accurate picture than your txdmv minimal info google results. Its sorta like if I tried to argue the West coast driver habits with you based off of what I had read somewhere as opposed to using first hand info.

Finally, I admit that I am finding it "difficult" to make the base point that you keep derailing any clearer.
Why derailing?
Because my point is and has been all along that it is illeagal for a vehicle owner to privately sell a vehicle that he/she recieved a signed title to, then signed themselves but never took to the registry office and filed.

Later,
Freelancer
1991 K100RS

Offline OLDHIPPIE

• Just what it says, Oldhippie, roughneck.
  • Motobrick Curious
Re: Legit????....Ssuuurrrre
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2014, 05:26:50 PM »
I don't think anybody stated it but, you can get a bonded title in Texas. I have also gotten a title for a car without registering it. It also was an out of state title. Normally you would have to have a state inspection done to verify vin# matches the title on out of state vehicles.
1994 K1100LT 53k, 1993 K1100RS 41k 1975 Porsche 911S with 80 3.0 VIA. 84 KAW 1100 ZX.

Tags: