Author Topic: OEM Shock Rebuild  (Read 1260 times)

Offline UltraBird

• Motobrick Curious
OEM Shock Rebuild
« on: March 14, 2023, 07:07:16 PM »
I'm "de-molesting"  (removing accessories and returning to stock factory BMW configuration) and mildly re-furbishing (a combination of maintenance and cosmetic) my 51,000 mile 2003 K1200RS and making a real effort to control the spending. 
I did something that I have seen several posters on various K Bike forums recommend NOT to do. I had the OEM Showa shocks re-built.

I had a pair of OEM shocks that were removed from another K1200RS at 11,400 miles delivered to me for $161 and I shipped them to EPM Performance for $35.
EPM did a shock rebuild service and replaced the rubber bushings/bump stops and hose. Returned to me for $697. So that was $893 total. If there are any future re-builds they won't cost as much since the initial machining has been performed to make them re-buildable. The only other option at that price point was a pair of YSS shocks from the Beemer Shop.

Now I need to swap out the re-builds for my worn shocks. I'm not a high milage/long trip rider and I removed all the luggage and mounts that came on my bike and I don't carry a passenger so I consider this a viable option for my usage. And I'm apparently starting to become OCD about returning it to BMW factory OEM condition and this served to help calm my ongoing mental affliction.

Offline Rcgreaves

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • "I'd rather be flying, but this will do nicely"
Re: OEM Shock Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 07:22:57 PM »
From my perch:

"South of heaven" as you avatar states, on a k1200, will be a lot smoother next time.  I didn't sense a question there so as others here often say:   :welcome to the asylum.  It's just not inexpensive to do this well sometimes.  Just get out there and amortize out that cost with thousands of miles of bumpy roads.  Cheers.
  • Livingston in Southwest WI. USA-"With the good earth all around."
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II
Doing “better than I deserve"

Offline UltraBird

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 03:02:35 PM »

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2023, 03:12:05 PM »
Gorgeous bike and “oh yeah a rebuilt shock, right whatever. “  Feel like I’m staring at a woman with implants😁
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II

Offline UltraBird

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2023, 04:46:11 PM »
Lol, thanks Rcgreaves
This bike had 3 previous owners and I passed on some other K1200RS's that had lower milage and a lower price and had better cosmetics because this bike had an extensive collection of maintenance invoices. Every other K1200RS ad I responded to could only show me receipts for oil and filter changes. I don't consider that to be "maintenance".
I've removed and discarded a lot of unwanted stuff (lost a lot of weight off the bike) that the 3 previous owners had installed. BMW mounts and saddlebags, a heavy, loose fitting Sargent seat, a Givi rear rack and mounts and Givi tail case, a super tall, hideously curved windscreen that was festooned with adjustable wings, a big steel plate foot JB Weld attached to the side stand, bar backs, crudely wired power points and mounts on the handle bars, cheesy looking "trim rings" on all the instruments.
I found a Duplicolor Lacquer that is a perfect match for the BMW silver trim and filled and sanded and re-painted scratches/gouges on the windscreen mount fairings and the buggered up rear grab rail from the probably improperly installed Givi rear luggage. I had the rear brake pedal sandblasted (it was corroding underneath the factory finish) and powder coated matching silver. Removed all the clear turn signal lenses and amber bulbs and replaced with OEM amber lenses and clear bulbs. Some PO had stripped the rear fender and drilled holes to mount the license plate. I filled the holes with Marine Epoxy sanded and blacked and installed OEM license plate mount and internal adjustable fender extender, etc, etc.
One of the previous owners had a bizarre fetish of grossly over tightening any and all external fasteners within easy reach and using Kroil and a heat gun I replaced a couple dozen fasteners that were buggered up from this disgusting practice.

Offline UltraBird

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2023, 05:11:07 PM »
My center and side stand look gross.

Offline UltraBird

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2023, 05:16:17 PM »
As with the shock swap, not wanting to disable the bike, (powder coat shop has 3 week turnaround) I purchased a complete center/side stand assembly from another 2003 K1200RS for $39 delivered and gave it to the powder coat shop for a 60% semi gloss black refinish.

Offline UltraBird

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2023, 05:20:16 PM »
All four foot pegs came off and were cleaned, lubed, re-finished in silver lacquer and installed with new BMW rubber inserts 
Now they "snick" up and down smoothly and feel much better under foot.

Offline UltraBird

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2023, 05:24:51 PM »
Opening the gas cap reveals a nasty mess. The previous owners must have been, well, I'll leave it to your imagination.

Not wanting to dig too deep into the fuel cell cover at this time I cleaned it out with Stoddard solvent and a ScotchBrite pad

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2023, 11:03:19 AM »
when I have had the opportunity to spray laquer, the results have been lovely like yours.  My big faux pas this winter has been in not getting the shop sufficiently warm for spraying....had to redo a few.  If the fuel cap is that yucky perhaps its worth your effort to flush the interior? Ive been amazed at how beautiful the interior of an aluminum fuel tank can become. 

Primarily, my observation is that with sufficient sweat investment the cost of doing things right such as the rear shock becomes less significant and no more than a talking point here. In the end you are the only valid judge of quality etc.  Are you still enjoying the process? I am, though this winter I probably over did.. Its April and I still have a clutch project waiting in the wings. 

my attached pic is not my own, just a reminder of how freaking cool MY project will appear soon!

Offline UltraBird

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2023, 08:36:07 PM »
@Rcgreaves

Looking inside the fuel tank with a light it appears clean.
I'm NOT enjoying the process of working on this bike, it's a PITA! and I've been wrenching on bikes since I was 11 years old with a Honda 50...

For example it took several hours just to remove the rear shock, granted I am doing heavy cleaning on everything I expose. I had to dis-mount both halves of the rear fender, the coolant reservoir and the brake fluid reservoir just to slide the rear shock out after it's mounting bolts were removed. And to remove the mounting bolts I had to remove the right side front and rear fairings and dis-mount the rear brake master cylinder...

Putting the newly rebuilt shock in tomorrow will be like putting a baby back into it's mother shortly after birth.

The front shock and steering dampener should be loads of fun... I ordered this to little work stool from McMaster Carr to try and ease my pain, wish I had it today but it won't arrive until Monday

My center and side stand did come back from the powder coat shop I'll see if I can post pics here... the inner surface of the pivots in the center stand need a little polish with a Dremel and a finer abrasive. You can see the dust on it from my 1st pass. This is "60% Semi Gloss Black" and they did a nice thin coat so it looks "painted" not "coated".
I have had recurring problems with getting powder coated parts back from several different shops that look like they were dipped in liquid plastic and I had to take them elsewhere to be stripped and redone. Some shops in my region seem to think that the benchmark of powder coat quality is how thick a coating they can lay on. No problem with this job, I'll use them again.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2023, 06:56:03 PM »
Just to verify, Ultrabird, do you realize that your K1200 is not the type of motorcycle to which this forum is dedicated? That is why you came up empty in a thorough search here earlier about rear fender adjustment.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline UltraBird

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2023, 08:37:48 PM »
I was not aware of that. I'll get off this forum.

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2023, 09:01:06 PM »
I was not aware of that. I'll get off this forum.

Meh. It's not a big deal. It's just that you probably won't get a lot of help here because most of us here are stuck in the The Dark Ages of K bikes. I have a 97 Taxi RS so I do find your posts interesting,

And at least you're not posting about R bikes. :laughing4-giggles:
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2023, 09:41:58 PM »
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Tags: