Author Topic: Is there a Steering Lock provision on K1100RS?  (Read 728 times)

Offline KCinSB

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • Still learning about Bricks from this site!
Is there a Steering Lock provision on K1100RS?
« on: June 21, 2022, 01:05:22 PM »
Noticed a note in the owners manual pg 12 that mentioned steering lock. Is there such a thing? I looked 👀 but don’t see any provision for it.

• Santa Barbara, CA
  • SOLD
No good turn goes unpunished, but it's fun to keep trying.........
1993 K1100RS, with LT Rack&Case, some old BSAs and Triumphs,... some even run!! Recent Dark Side foray... '65 XLCH tractor.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Is there a Steering Lock provision on K1100RS?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 01:55:06 PM »
Its mechanism is within the steering column. How I understand the instructions in the diagram you've attached is: if your handlebars don't lock when the arrow on the folding key points to position #0 in the image and the key is withdrawn, the locking system is faulty. From what I've seen through the blessing of YouTube, it doesn't take genius to crack that locking system; it only takes leverage, or a few dimwits to lift moto into a waiting van.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 02:19:27 PM »
Yes, there is a steering lock built into the ignition switch.

Turn the front wheel full lock right and then back off one or two degrees.  Turn the key counterclockwise to engage the steering lock.

On many bikes it never gets used so it may be sticky at first but with some persistence it should engage. Be careful not to bend the key though.

More here:
http://www.kbikeparts.com/classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/optips/Operating_Tips_For_A_K100RS4V_K1_or_K1100.pdf
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline KCinSB

• Still learning about Bricks from this site!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 10:44:50 PM »
YEP! It is there! It took a bit of fussing as it has not been used in….. well over 20Yrs, maybe since ‘93!!  Anyhow, it locked as advertised. Getting it UN-locked had me concerned, but it’s free now and Likely will leave it alone. Answered that question, Thanks!  🛠
  • Santa Barbara, CA
  • SOLD
No good turn goes unpunished, but it's fun to keep trying.........
1993 K1100RS, with LT Rack&Case, some old BSAs and Triumphs,... some even run!! Recent Dark Side foray... '65 XLCH tractor.

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 02:06:09 PM »
Kind of dumb for BMW not to mention turning the bars to full lock right in the manual. :idunno:
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline blackie1

• christchurch nz
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 03:33:20 AM »
I vividly remember the day (30 years ago) leaving a party. many guests had spilled out onto onto the front lawn and sidewalk.
my 250 suzuki was parked with the rear tire in the gutter and the bike facing the road.
 i jumped on, started it and prepared myself to fang it through the gears as i was going to roar off.
engaged 1st, dropped the clutch and did a perfect half circle and went head first into the gutter  44271
 had forgotten that i had locked the steering on arrival.
i think that was the 1st and last time i ever engaged the steering lock on a bike
  • christchurch, new zealand , where else would u want to live, really
  • 1991 K75RT naked 67,000kms

Tags: