Author Topic: 1987 K100LT Resto - from bits to brick  (Read 65754 times)

Offline FlatSix

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: 1987 K100LT Resto - from bits to brick
« Reply #225 on: November 09, 2021, 05:41:20 PM »
Changed the fluid and shifts are vastly improved.  Existing fluid was on the low side of the measurement tool, meaning below the low so that probably had a lot to do with it.  I removed about 500ml of fluid which is not enough.  Either I was losing fluid which I thought was oil or I didn't fill enough initially...possible but not bloody likely.  We will see where it goes from here.

Harley dealer wants me to trade it in and get a new Pan America or whatever it's called.  But I like this bike and I don't like the looks of the Harley.  (Went with a friend to pick up his brand new Road King).  Now the Road King was a beautiful chrome beasty but not my thing so I told the sales folks.  They also tried to push me towards a Street Glide that had a sparkly green /  sparkly purple paint job depending on which angle you were looking at it from. I am a sucker for sparkly green, but nope not for me either.  Plus it kinda annoys me that Harley won't put price tags on the bikes. 

Thinking of modifying some Pelican cases as smaller side cases.  Saw someone on here do a set but thinking about different mounting options. 

That's all folks...beautiful weather here for riding.  Took the bride for a Saturday picnic in the park on the bike, her idea.  Wohoo!
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project
1971 Triumph Bonneville -sold to a couple young female tattoo artists

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #226 on: November 09, 2021, 07:40:56 PM »
If you want smaller cases then consider BMW City Cases. They mount on and lock to the K bike luggage racks.  There are also top loading which is a plus.

Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #227 on: November 09, 2021, 08:00:50 PM »
City cases are nice, but almost as rare as unicorn farts.  They seem to have a strong drive for freedom(I've lost two of them now) which is probably a leading reason for their scarcity.  The latches don't hold them securely to the frame, even when they're locked.  Mine are secured with straps now, and so far none have escaped.

I have looked at pelican cases, and while nice, they're eye-watering expensive.  I have seen alternatives for a better price at Harbor Freight.  It may bear looking into. 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #228 on: November 09, 2021, 08:42:15 PM »
City cases are nice, but almost as rare as unicorn farts.  They seem to have a strong drive for freedom(I've lost two of them now) which is probably a leading reason for their scarcity.  The latches don't hold them securely to the frame, even when they're locked.  Mine are secured with straps now, and so far none have escaped.

I have looked at pelican cases, and while nice, they're eye-watering expensive.  I have seen alternatives for a better price at Harbor Freight.  It may bear looking into.

I use city cases all of the time and have never had an issue with them escaping.  I must admit that I did lose one - kind of my fault though - it had a really loosy goosy Type 1 flat lock and I hit 100 yards of pavement from hell doing about 60ish so it shook right off.

They're great for splitting in California. You only need to make sure that the mirrors and handlebars will make it.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
Buy parts here.

Offline caveman

« Reply #229 on: November 10, 2021, 05:19:22 AM »
City cases are real nice and have enough room for a slab of salmon and a six pack of beer!
  • Kennerdell, PA.
  • 87 K100RT, 88 K100LT

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #230 on: November 10, 2021, 11:43:09 AM »
I really like the looks of the city cases.  There is one left side case for sale on the bay for $500 plus shipping and tax.  The only set sold was $460 plus shipping and tax.  I bought 2 Pelican 1450 brand new cases for $150 for both plus tax and shipping.  Now I just need to fabricate some mounts.
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project
1971 Triumph Bonneville -sold to a couple young female tattoo artists

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #231 on: November 10, 2021, 12:48:17 PM »
I really like the looks of the city cases.  There is one left side case for sale on the bay for $500 plus shipping and tax.  The only set sold was $460 plus shipping and tax.  I bought 2 Pelican 1450 brand new cases for $150 for both plus tax and shipping.  Now I just need to fabricate some mounts.

You need to keep a close eye on Ebay and pounce when you find them.  I already have enough of them (6 sets) so when I saw a pair on Ebay for $150 earlier this year I sent the link to a friend who bought them. I found a pair the year before for $140 shipped from the UK.
Buy parts here.

Offline caveman

« Reply #232 on: November 10, 2021, 05:59:21 PM »
I lucked into two pair this spring that came with a 22L top box and a 9? K75RT (cop bike) and a 9? K1100LT. Both bikes have potential but just haven't had time to get into them yet. My goal in life is to collect 7 pair(:. My wife wants to get 37 corgis (the queen had 36).
  • Kennerdell, PA.
  • 87 K100RT, 88 K100LT

Tags: