Author Topic: Replacing OEM instrument cluster with Tenet Speedometer/Tachometer  (Read 22198 times)

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Replacing OEM instrument cluster with Tenet Speedometer/Tachometer
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2020, 08:22:55 AM »
Tenet themselves do not manufacture any of the speedos.
The Tenet homepage indicates their headquarters and production facility are in Shenzhen, China—no surprise there. I noted in my browsing that one of Five Aces's Tenet offerings seemed to be the ubiquitous El Cheapo-speedo that's circulating through the low-budget café moto remodeling world.

The Tenet system seems to couple to the Brick's electronics as advertised. Maybe it will have functional longevity, too. Owners should review on this thread.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Offline Skunky

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2020, 09:57:17 AM »
The Tenet homepage indicates their headquarters and production facility are in Shenzhen, China—no surprise there. I noted in my browsing that one of Five Aces's Tenet offerings seemed to be the ubiquitous El Cheapo-speedo that's circulating through the low-budget café moto remodeling world.

The Tenet system seems to couple to the Brick's electronics as advertised. Maybe it will have functional longevity, too. Owners should review on this thread.

Laitch - I have to say, I used the 'ubiquitous El Cheapo-speedo that's circulating through the low-budget café moto remodeling world'. With a Marulabs BEP 3.0. Two years on and both the speedo and BEP are working great. I also have to give a big doublethumbs up for the speedo  :twothumbsup. The quality is surprisingly good and when you get through pigeon-english instructions (which you may have to find elsewhere) it is accurate, has a working fuel gauge, is very clear and easy to read and of course good value for money. Unlike the OEM one on my Triumph Thruxton, which makes you feel like Mr MagOO (There's a reference for the kid's to google).

With regard to the Tenet. The guy at Marulabs did not patent his design and even supplied the circuit on his web page as 'open source' if you wanted to build your own. It's quite possible that the French/Chinese at Tenet have copied and even refined the design. What they have also done is linked it with several different speedometers as a kit taking the hard work of working out your wiring.  The Chinese delivery times should deal with any COVID19 secreted on the packaging.

• Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
Rebuild it and they will come..
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2020, 11:32:08 AM »
Laitch - I have to say, I used the 'ubiquitous El Cheapo-speedo that's circulating through the low-budget café moto remodeling world'. With a Marulabs BEP 3.0. Two years on and both the speedo and BEP are working great.
The term El Cheapo is not derogatory; it's Spanglish.  :laughing4-giggles:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Gorgerunner23

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2020, 08:26:44 PM »
I just ordered the tenet pack with the mini gauge. Won’t be delivered for around 4 weeks. I will share my review when I have one.
  • Ilion
  • K75

Offline Gorgerunner23

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2020, 08:34:35 AM »
I just received my tenet mini with rfid. I have a question and hoping someone who Is better with electrical than myself can help. In the following pic, am I correct in assuming “ignition switch” is basically where the key to the bike goes. And “starter switch” is the button pressed when starting the bike? Sorry for my ignorance. Thank you for your help.

• Ilion
  • K75

Offline Skunky

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2020, 09:51:24 AM »
I just received my tenet mini with rfid. I have a question and hoping someone who Is better with electrical than myself can help. In the following pic, am I correct in assuming “ignition switch” is basically where the key to the bike goes. And “starter switch” is the button pressed when starting the bike? Sorry for my ignorance. Thank you for your help.

Yes and Yes
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline Quzzy

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2020, 10:27:40 AM »
If you are asking because you have problem programming, the instructions are ambiguous. Ive explained in a post above.
  • Gironde
  • K100

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2020, 10:37:36 AM »
If you are asking because you have problem programming, the instructions are ambiguous. Ive explained in a post above.
This is the post, Gorgerunner23. Quzzy explains how to connect in it, not the nature of ambiguity.  :laughing4-giggles:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Gorgerunner23

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2020, 11:13:08 AM »
Thanks guys. I love got it all wired up now. But now I can’t seem to get the rfid system to work. Everything on the bike works as normal while using the key, but the rfid system will not work. Thanks for your help.
  • Ilion
  • K75

Offline Skunky

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2020, 11:16:22 AM »
But now I can’t seem to get the rfid system to work. 

No fnid  :laughing1:
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2020, 11:42:43 AM »
Everything on the bike works as normal while using the key, but the rfid system will not work.
Please explain how the remote receiver is wired into the system. The moto isn't in gear is it?
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Gorgerunner23

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2020, 09:33:01 PM »
The bike is in neutral. I have confirmed I have everything wired correctly. I am able to get ONE of the rfid tags to wake the bike up, but only if I place the tag directly on the rfid module. The other tag appears to do nothing. How exactly should this work? I just sit on the bike with tag in my pocket and the bike immediately wakes up? How does it then “turn off” the power to the bike after I hit the kill switch? Thanks for all your help.
  • Ilion
  • K75

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2020, 10:30:57 PM »
I just sit on the bike with tag in my pocket and the bike immediately wakes up? How does it then “turn off” the power to the bike after I hit the kill switch? Thanks for all your help.
I got this information right at the top of Tenet's RFID page. What baffles me is why you couldn't find it. Anyway, I think you've hit the nail on the head. You need to be within centimeters of the moto to turn the ignition system (power) on or off with one tag and start the engine with the other tag. You don't necessarily need to sit on it though. You might be able to stand next to it proudly. I define a few centimeters as no more than three centimeters. You'll need to experiment.

• 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Gorgerunner23

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2020, 11:29:42 PM »
Thanks for that information. Sorry to baffle you with my questioning. I was simply looking for some advice from people familiar with this product as I can get a more straight forward answer and possibly some first hand experience and tips on how to make this installation a little more streamlined for new users like myself. I do appreciate your help.
  • Ilion
  • K75

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2020, 11:55:51 PM »
The Tenet looks like it has the least complex and most streamlined installation of the speedos made for Bricks so far. Even the instructions are in large print although it seems like the print might need to be even larger. :laughing4-giggles:  I hope it proves to be a durable and accurate instrument for its users. Please review it here after a year of owning it, or if you encounter problems with it along the way.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Quzzy

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2020, 04:27:23 AM »
This is the post, Gorgerunner23. Quzzy explains how to connect in it, not the nature of ambiguity.  :laughing4-giggles:

Aha, thats cos Ive got a broken knee and couldnt get to garage to read the "ambiguous" instructions ;o)
Theres a statement about holding the menu button down and then turning the ignition on to enter setup...or the opposite....either way its the wrong way round....or not
  • Gironde
  • K100

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2020, 09:13:21 AM »
 :laughing4-giggles:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Gorgerunner23

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2020, 06:30:31 PM »
Ok, I’ve got it all working “as it should”. I am not pleased with operation of the rfid system. It works, but placing the rfid tag basically on top of the receiver is not what I had imagined. I was hoping for a “walk up to the bike and it wakes up” type of operation. If anyone is running tenet pack and would like to add the rfid option, I would be happy to sell mine. Thanks again for everyone’s help. I appreciate it.
  • Ilion
  • K75

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2020, 12:21:05 AM »
It works, but placing the rfid tag basically on top of the receiver is not what I had imagined. I was hoping for a “walk up to the bike and it wakes up” type of operation.
Imagination can play tricks on us, especially when we're dehydrated.  :laughing4-giggles: I think if it had the type of operation that you imagined it had, there would be many examples of owners waking up the bike by walking up to it but forgetting to put it to sleep because they were distracted by something then just walked away from it instead of riding it. In some cities, the bike wouldn't be there when they returned. If it were still where it had been parked, the battery might be discharged.

• 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Skunky

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2020, 05:39:28 PM »
Ok, I’ve got it all working “as it should”. I am not pleased with operation of the rfid system. It works, but placing the rfid tag basically on top of the receiver is not what I had imagined. I was hoping for a “walk up to the bike and it wakes up” type of operation. If anyone is running tenet pack and would like to add the rfid option, I would be happy to sell mine. Thanks again for everyone’s help. I appreciate it.

RFID tags always have to be put onto the reader. What you are are thinking of is a PKE keyless system similar to those used on cars like the Tesla. There is not a PKE system for motorcycles except for a Chinese one available from e-bay that as far as I know doesn’t work. RFID is a programmed tag and therefore very secure as there is no radio wave like a car remote that can be scanned and copied. You can buy a very small rfid tag that can be sewn into the finger of your motorcycle glove if you don’t want to carry a tag.
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline Gorgerunner23

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2020, 08:29:44 PM »
Thanks for the info skunky. The rfid is novel, but no less “work” , in my opinion, than just using the key as usual. A pke system would be ideal, but not necessary. Thanks again for your information.
  • Ilion
  • K75

Offline rbm

« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2020, 07:13:25 PM »
RFID tags always have to be put onto the reader. What you are are thinking of is a PKE keyless system similar to those used on cars like the Tesla. There is not a PKE system for motorcycles except for a Chinese one available from e-bay that as far as I know doesn’t work. RFID is a programmed tag and therefore very secure as there is no radio wave like a car remote that can be scanned and copied. You can buy a very small rfid tag that can be sewn into the finger of your motorcycle glove if you don’t want to carry a tag.
There is a great writeup on a RFID based motorcycle ignition based on a Sombra K9 alarm system.  I found this in a Triumph forum and the universality of the solution would make it adaptable to the K100 based on my research. It would be a very very DIY endeavour! This is not plug-n-[lay. It implemented the PKE feature you mention, in that it was possible to start the motorcycle from up to 1-2 metres away from the bike.  Here are the two URLS:

Part 1
Part 2
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline Gorgerunner23

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2020, 12:34:23 PM »
Would anyone happen to know what number I should set in the place that currently shows the number “1” and the number “6”? I am told they are the pulse and coil counter settings. I am not sure what those she be set to. The other number, currently showing “200” in the pic is the tire circumference. That is not a concern as I have that figured out. The bike is k75 1986. Thank you all again for your help.
  • Ilion
  • K75

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2020, 01:15:47 PM »
I am told they are the pulse and coil counter settings. I am not sure what those she be set to.
You don't need to go by what you are told. The Tenet mini instructions are explicit in what those numbers should be for a K75. All that should be needed is to follow them without knowing anything else about them. Here are the instructions and attached are excerpts from them.

• 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Gorgerunner23

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2020, 01:26:17 PM »
Once again, thank you. I never received instructions for the mini gauge specifically from my supplier. You have again saved me. Thank you so much!
  • Ilion
  • K75

Tags: tenet five aces