Author Topic: Hey y'all  (Read 4978 times)

Offline TS87KLT

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • Almost the person my dog thinks I am...
Hey y'all
« on: November 07, 2013, 11:30:44 PM »
Newbie joining, let the hazing begin...

Just bought a '87 K100LT.  It is, shall we say, cosmetically challenged. 

It was dropped on the right side, I'm guessing at 25-30 mph, so the side fairing is broken, the right mirror is MIA and the right saddle case has a big patch of rash on the outer shell.  Then it was dropped on the left side at low speed, so the cam cover has a hole in it...

A replacement cam cover and gaskets are on the way.  The engine is otherwise sound, the bike has about 64k miles total.  The kid I bought it from made a good effort at reversing some of the deferred maintenance before he cracked the cam cover.  He replaced the final drive and drive shaft with good used parts, cleaned the fuel tank and replaced the filter, and renewed all the lubricants.  He replaced the brake pads front and rear, and also bought fresh Bridgestones.  The sale price was basically the tires and a couple tanks of gas, so I am happy.

This is a winter project, so while the short term plan is to get it back in running condition, I will probably tear it down to bit and pieces.  The seller said it has a "midrange stumble", so I want to go through the L-Jet and deal with any perished air boots or other rubber bits, injector seals, fuel lines, and the like.  I suppose plugs and wires are in order.  I want to do the clutch, probably upgrade with some K1100 parts.  The rear main seal is seeping, so that is on the list.  Cooling system flush, any needed hoses, and fresh coolant.  It needs fork seals.  The steering head bearings feel good, but if I have the forks apart, might as well do them too.

Cosmetically, I want to get it back close to stock.  For daily use, I won't carry the luggage, but I will get it repaired or replaced for trips.  Being an LT, it has the electric windscreen, which seems like it might be nice to have.  It has a nice Rich's seat, and heated grips.  The bike was originally dark blue, but some of the plastics have been painted black, and the tank is painted with a textured, flat black, kinda-bedliner stuff.  I haven't given a lot of thought to color for the finished product, although black would be OK with me.

Ebay has been beddy beddy good to me for gathering the missing parts, but I do still need a right side mirror.  If anyone has a decent one they want to sell for a fair price, I'm interested.

Me?  Name is Tony.  As you might guess, I'm mechanically capable.  I have a history of serial Bimmer ownership, I've owned at least one of most every car in the BMW line from 1968 to 1984 -- E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24.  No E28 but an E30.  And an E39.  This is my first Beemer, but not my first bike.  I was not planning to buy a touring bike this time around, I was actually looking at dual sports, but the brick got under my skin, and here I am...
  • Dukes Valley, OR
  • '87 K100 LT
Tony

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: Hey y'all
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 12:07:29 AM »
greetings ts87klt...

welcome to motobrick.com...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline turq

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 01:41:24 AM »
Seals in forks/flush, esp any 'damper' parts/fluid bloc crap
Brakes/flush....
Rear main seal/clutch issues.

Ride it. Ride it more; then think color probs. (gold metal flake/black).

Enjoy, Welcome from Oregon City

Offline Brad-Man

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 08:14:47 AM »
This thread is no good w/o PICS  :dunno2:

Welcome!
  • Marietta, GA
  • '85 K100
Toys don't make the Man - Man makes the Toys...
'74 RD350
'75 RD350 w/Modified 400 engine, Chambers & MZB iggy

Offline TS87KLT

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 02:38:46 PM »
OK, OK!

• Dukes Valley, OR
  • '87 K100 LT
Tony

Offline TS87KLT

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 07:58:28 PM »
And my ghetto fab tow cradle.  Knocked this out in about an hour, worked like a charm.
  • Dukes Valley, OR
  • '87 K100 LT
Tony

Offline mystic red

• Retired Professsional Driver
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 09:25:53 PM »
Tow cradle is awesome!

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 09:31:58 PM »
If you made that tow rig in an hour, I suggest you make 20 ASAP and start advertising them on ADV. You''ll be rich.

Offline TS87KLT

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 09:45:02 AM »
Is there not a commercial version of this?  I figured there was, but I'm too cheap to buy one... 

It was really just a practical solution to getting a heavy, dead bike home.  I could have borrowed a pickup, but trying to push 500 lbs of bike up a ramp to get it 3 feet off the ground seemed crazy.  I always have steel scraps laying around, so I picked up a receiver hitch at NAPA and started chopping and gluing.

It worked great.  I used three 500 lb WLL ratchet straps to secure the bike upright and straight, and a small strap through the wheel just for peace of mind -- or maybe to ensure the bike was dragged to complete destruction if anything else came loose!  :bang-head:  150 miles without a problem.
  • Dukes Valley, OR
  • '87 K100 LT
Tony

Tags: