Author Topic: Getting side cases on and off  (Read 6847 times)

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Getting side cases on and off
« on: September 25, 2011, 01:33:01 PM »
This seems clumsy at first but there's some tricks to it.

Putting side cases on:

1) Put the passenger peg down.

2) Tilting the bottom of the case out a bit, place it on the horizontal rail on the "Z" rack so that the indent on the rear inner half of the case lines up with the rear turn signal.

3) Once the top is securely on the rail, keeping the bottom tilted out a bit, open the lower front catch that holds the case to the "Z" rack and slide the case forward an inch or so.

4) Tilt the bottom in and close that catch.

5) Put the passenger peg back up. (Unless you have a passenger of course.)

Taking the side cases off:

1) Put the passenger peg down.

2) Open the catch that holds it to the "Z" rack and tilt the bottom out until the right-angled hook of the catch clears the rectangular hole in the "Z" rack.

3) Keeping the bottom tilted out, slide it to the rear until it stops.

4) Lift it off.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Getting side cases on and off
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 01:24:09 AM »
This might seem odd, but...

My cases come off easily if I'm facing the rear of the bike.

It's very frustrating trying to get them on or off when I'm facing the front of the bike.

Offline White Dog

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 10:52:02 AM »
For the year and a half I've owned a K75, getting the side cases off and on were a major pain.  Frustration was quick to arrive.  Out of desperation, I did a search on this forum and Frankenduck's instructions listed above, were the answer.  I tried his method and the left side came off and went back on with seemingly no effort.  The right hand side was a bit tricky, but once I positioned the case at the exact spot, it went on easily and I was able to lock it in place.  Thank you Frankenduck!
  • Basement Garage
  • '95 K75 ABS.
'95 K75 ABS Red
'96 R1100RT Burnt Orange
2008 Goldwing Black
2014 CB1100 Std. Black
Reside in NC

Offline lmiklosy

• One Less Car
  • ^ Motobrick Curious
  • Freude am Fahren!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 02:56:00 PM »
Frankenduck is so right.   If the case is on the rail too far rearward, the catch will bind-up the latch mechanism and the catch will not close. Don't forget. Do the Frankenduck!  Step 3b: slide the case on the rail forward and the latch will close, otherwise you will ride away in frustration leaving the cases at home - like I did yesterday.   :falldown:
  • Laguna Beach, CA
  • 1993 K75S-Mystic, 1981 R100RS-RedBaron, 1991 K75S-Marrakech

Tags: