Author Topic: What Did You Did To Your Motobrick Today ?  (Read 1909351 times)

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: What Did You Did To Your Motobrick Today ?
« Reply #2625 on: April 16, 2017, 10:53:39 AM »
VPN, the first thing I did was check to make sure the mounting points on the mount closely matched the points on the fairing.  Fortunately, only one point was off and only by about 1/16".  You should be able to easily get the bolts to thread int the fairing through the mount before you start on the rst of the job.

Once the points line up, I took my 3/4" plywood base and made sure it was perfectly square between two edges that I could use as baselines. 

I put a centerline on the board parallel to one of the reference edges.  Then I put a line square to the centerline.  Rip a 2x4 about 20" long to 2" wide.  Mark a centerline on the top of the 2x4 and mark and drill 1/4" holes for the two wider mounting points on the centerline.  Find the point exactly halfway between the two holes and mark it.

Place the 2x4 " the plywood base so it is on the line you made square to the centerline and the center mark on the 2x4 on the base board centerline.  Drill through the holes in the 2x4 into the base board.  Attach the 2x4 and the mount to the base with 1/4-20x4" bolts with fender washers on the mounting points.

With the mount attached to the base board, use the other two mounting points as drill guides to make 1/4" hloes to bolt them to the board.  1/4-20x1 1/2" bolts with fender washers bolt them down.

A piece of 2" schedule 40 PVC pipe is almost exactly the same size as the steering head.  I used a piece about 20" long, but 12-14" will work.  A 2 1/8" hole saw cut a plug for the end of the pipe.  A  couple wraps of electrical tape made it a snug fit in the pipe.  the hole saw's pilot made a perfect hole for a pencil to use as a pointer to indicate center.  With the pipe cut perfectly square and the plug flush with the end attach the pipe to the mount with a hose clamp.

Use squares to project the pencil point down to the board and make a mark on the board to show where the center is.  Reverse the pipe and make a mark at the other end.  The marks tell you which way you need to move the pipe the get it centered over the centerline on the board. 

Once the pencil point in the pipe is over the centerline on the board the center of the fairing will be in line with the centerline of the bike.  In my mount the mount was tilted and pushed off to one side with my starting marks on opposite sides of the centerline almost 3/4" on one side and about 1/4" on the other.  A bit of enthusiastic wailing on the sides of the steering head mount brought the centers on to the centerline and mount was ready to put back on the bike.

The only critical part is taking the time to make sure the mounting points are perfectly square to the centerline and equally spaced around it.  I spent about 2 1/2 hours on the whole job, making the jig and straightening the mount. Once the jig was done the actual work on the mount took only about a half hour.

If there is interest, I can start aa thread for the lieberry with some photos and dimensions.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline jakgieger

• itinerant farmer
  • ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #2626 on: April 16, 2017, 11:45:43 AM »
MG, I think that would be a great contribution.  Thanks for the write-up.  These bikes continue to fall over :dunno and a viable repair is valuable.  :bmwsmile
  • Kansas USA
  • 1989 K100rs se
"What we've got here is failure, to communicate.  Some men, you just cain't reach.  So you get what we had here last week.  Which is the way he wants it...Well, he gets it.  I don't like it any more than you men do."

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #2627 on: April 16, 2017, 07:20:29 PM »
greetings...

adjusted steering bearings using the copper coupling method... strung together 300mi of continous twistys... 100% yeeeehaaaa...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline enb54

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #2628 on: April 17, 2017, 10:05:18 AM »
greetings...

adjusted steering bearings using the copper coupling method... strung together 300mi of continous twistys... 100% yeeeehaaaa...

j o

OK, this is probably another stupid question but I'll bite... What is the "copper coupling" method of adjusting steering bearings?
  • Red Deer, AB
Eric

Then-1966 Suzuki X6 Hustler, 1987 BMW K100RS, 1997 Suzuki GSF600 Bandit, 1991 BMW K75 RT
Now-1974 Honda CB125S, 2015 Honda Grom (MSX125)

Offline K1300S

« Reply #2629 on: April 17, 2017, 12:55:32 PM »
i broke mine....

4hrs of fun twistie bits resulted in blown right fork seal.  have two weekends to get parts and fix before two days riding near Asheville, NC.   If i don't get it fixed, will have to take the Slant-K down there.
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline D.Bachtel

« Reply #2630 on: April 17, 2017, 03:52:04 PM »
No breaks for me here yet. Thank goodness or good maintenance.
That's an interesting designation for the inline opposed engine. Slant K...

Marshall, do you have any bar risers that I might be able to talk you out of?

Don in Nipomo
  • Nipomo
  • BSA, Zundapp, Husqvarna, Greeves, Triumph...and a 1987 K75C

Offline Lastunder

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2631 on: April 17, 2017, 07:47:13 PM »
After a bunch of hardware-searching and muffler-mount modding, installed Trispark's cases on my bike!  Thanks again Trispark
  • Alberta
  • '86 K75C

Offline D.Bachtel

« Reply #2632 on: April 17, 2017, 08:19:51 PM »
And another early C model with the cockpit fairing. Good to see there are out there more like mine.
Were these 75"C"s the original Coffee Cowboy racer bikes before people rediscovered the cutting torch and grinder?

Lastunder... there's one more piece of factory plastic you can get for your rear mudguard!

Don in Nipomo
  • Nipomo

Offline K1300S

« Reply #2633 on: April 17, 2017, 09:25:02 PM »
No breaks for me here yet. Thank goodness or good maintenance.
That's an interesting designation for the inline opposed engine. Slant K...

Marshall, do you have any bar risers that I might be able to talk you out of?

Don in Nipomo

have also seen it as "K/".  they really should have started calling them "S" bikes when they started using the transverse mounted engines instead of the longitudinal brick engines.  they figured it out with the S1000's, but we are left with K12, K13 and K16's with the slant forward engine.

sorry, i had to pillage the riser kit i took off for attachment parts to put mine back to stock.
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline D.Bachtel

« Reply #2634 on: April 17, 2017, 09:31:52 PM »
Pillaged and plundered until there was nothing left? No scraps for me?

Don in Nipomo
  • Nipomo

Offline RobP

« Reply #2635 on: April 17, 2017, 09:54:03 PM »
Jackgeiger - see below for Aeroflow picture request - hopefully these will help out. [Edit - not sure what's up with the rotation on #2]

I bought the 'Tall' version.  The windscreen is held on with 4 pairs of 3M Dual Lock fastener discs on the OEM fairing risers, plus another 1" x 3" (approximate) rectangular piece below the fairing chin.  The 3 lower pairs of Dual Locks were preinstalled on the shield.  I fastened the top pair from a set included in the installation kit - which included a pair of 'single layer' Dual Locks, plus another pair of 'double layer' Dual Locks.  I used the latter because they were thicker and helped match the contour of the Aeroflow screen to the OEM risers. 
  • Driftwood, TX
  • 1985 K100RS

Offline bocutter Ed

« Reply #2636 on: April 17, 2017, 10:08:55 PM »
Signed for this ...

• Toronto, Canada
  • '61 Puch DS60 - '66 Puch 250 SGS - '87 BMW K75s

Offline Vespa no more

« Reply #2637 on: April 17, 2017, 11:53:56 PM »
Thanks for the detail TMG

I will attend to it when the bike is going back together.

Sorted the throttles and then went after the ubiquitous engine rattle.

Am relying on Theseus like copious notes and tackle boxes to guide me later when I put it all together.

So at the moment the engine in on a trolley on the floor, clutch bell-housing attached, gearbox removed for cleaning and replacement of clutch dust cover.

32 years of grot to be cleaned back. Not sure if spotless is attainable. Might just go the gasoline and wire brush look to retain some originality

Looks like a rear main seal leaking

Am about to pull the clutch etc out. Am wondering if I need clutch aligning tool (looks like a nail punch froma distance) - if I mark the position of all pieces coming off accurately.

Regards

Guy
  • Wollongong NSW AUSTRALIA
  • K100RT 1984, K1100RT 1993, Vespa VNB125 1963 :)

Offline Martin

« Reply #2638 on: April 18, 2017, 12:21:16 AM »

You will need a clutch alignment tool you can get them from the US, UK or OZ. If you have access to a lathe the dimensions are in section 3.5 drawing 5.7c in the Haynes Manual. I have one I made if you get stuck.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Vespa no more

« Reply #2639 on: April 18, 2017, 06:02:19 AM »
School is going back next tuesday.

A six pack might have the metal work teacher creating one in the tech rooms. I have seen that drawing and will get a copy of it to him and see if it is on.

Spent a couple of hours in the garage... have been working on cleaning the gearbox. Pulled the swing arm and will have to get hold of a slide hammer to remove and replace the two bearings.

The gear indicator switch (next to the spline) seems to have suffered from the heat and / or 32 years and the cover have fallen to pieces. The wires are still in place below this and I was wondering does anyone have suggestions on some epoxy suitable to cover it all in eg: fibreglass, araldite etc etc and protect it. The two small 7mm bolts either side refused to accept the socket.

On the "confessions from the shed" front... got two good ones. The tray of old engine oil that I told myself would get knocked over if I didn't put it in a bottle (which I had none of) duly obliged. And the alternator slipped from my greasy hands and onto the floor cracking the brush mount = kaputski. Oh well I was planning on upgrading to the K1100 alternator at some stage (I had a perfectly good one about 2 weeks ago before I sold the whole bike - timing is everything)

Am in the process of some spare parts and looking forward to lifting the output shaft from the motor to replace the spring and bearing.

Hell, might even pay a visit to the valves (clean the seats) and also the clean any buildup above the pistons.

On this front, has anyone had success cleaning the exhaust of buildup. Took mine off and they looked rather dirty (and this was after a 6 hour ride at higher speeds). On the vespas, coked up exhausts were cleared with caustic soda and water overnight.

thanks for any input

Guy

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #2640 on: April 18, 2017, 09:43:49 AM »
For my GPI I cut the bottom off a plastic bottle and used the very center (it is slightly domed) and then used black silicon to keep it in place.  Not hugely pretty but it is out of sight and worked.
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline Martin

« Reply #2641 on: April 18, 2017, 02:30:11 PM »

Mine has had Plasti Dip on it and heavy silicon grease on the mating surface for the last 18 years. The bolts are a pain I used a small open ender.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline RobP

« Reply #2642 on: April 18, 2017, 04:15:09 PM »
I gave my gear position indicator switch a skim-coat of JB Weld and that has held up well.
  • Driftwood, TX
  • 1985 K100RS

Offline Vespa no more

« Reply #2643 on: April 18, 2017, 05:50:41 PM »
Thanks gents

I do have JB weld

But

Could seize this excuse to get some plasti dip. Been looking at that stuff for some time thinking of all the things I could use it on - like the cutlery!

G

Offline The Dude

« Reply #2644 on: April 18, 2017, 08:04:35 PM »
I do have JB weld.
Perfect for this job.
My rear brake light switch has been encapsulated with that for over twenty years.Plunger runs through!
  • Auckland, New Zealand
  • K75s
Current.
TR6R 1973 from new.
Moto guzzi 850 III .1983 from,almost, new.
K75S 1986 from new.vin-0103141
On my second millionth km.give or take a hundred k Kay's.
"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there."
All the best!

Offline AMS155

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2645 on: April 19, 2017, 02:06:09 AM »
Received my new Corbin today. A very simple install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Boston ma
  • 1987 K100RS

Offline Dennis de Vries

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2646 on: April 19, 2017, 09:14:16 AM »
Despite the horror stories about Corbins being torture planks to many, i can't help but really like how that looks! So much beter looking as a BMW Comfort seat!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HUAWEI CUN-L21 met Tapatalk

• Holland, Europe
  • '89 K75RT

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #2647 on: April 19, 2017, 09:41:31 AM »
On the other hand, I look at that seat and my ass bones immediately begin to hurt.  I have ridden one of those seats 700 brutally excruciating miles 3 days in a row.   I couldn't even look at that bike for over a week after that trip.

The Corbin that came with my bike was definitely a 20 mile seat.  Beautiful to look at, but tough on my taint.  Yeah, my Russell and my Comfort seats look funky, but holy mackerel,  I can ride them all day for days on end.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #2648 on: April 19, 2017, 09:57:16 AM »
Despite the horror stories about Corbins being torture planks to many,

I love my Corbin, to each butt their own, eh?
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Dennis de Vries

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2649 on: April 19, 2017, 12:24:35 PM »
As(s) i said, it's all stories i hear, i've got a comfort seat on mine, not half as pretty but it works and i can't see it when i ride... Looks aren't everyting apparently...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HUAWEI CUN-L21 met Tapatalk

• Holland, Europe
  • '89 K75RT