Author Topic: What Did You Did To Your Motobrick Today ?  (Read 1909352 times)

Offline Vespa no more

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: What Did You Did To Your Motobrick Today ?
« Reply #2275 on: August 15, 2016, 07:01:27 AM »
Chaos

that big, scratched red front mudguard caught my eye - looked Indian Chief-esque. Has anyone done something excessive with fairings on a K-bike... maybe something on the lines of the 1950s beaten aluminum racing bikes. Has to be home made or achievable.

taking it further still, has anyone ever screwed the engine covers off a k motor onto the sides of a modified fuel tank .. purely for aesthetic purposes.

Have got hold of a parts bike.. too far gone but can't think what to do with it. No seat, no air filter nor throttle body etc (2 wheels and a motor and front section is about it. Will break it up and sell some bits on (83 or 84 K100RS) Sydney / Wollongong area
  • Wollongong NSW AUSTRALIA
  • K100RT 1984, K1100RT 1993, Vespa VNB125 1963 :)

Offline Nine80seven

« Reply #2276 on: August 18, 2016, 03:53:22 PM »
Back to the funny miss, sporadic knick knock, after warm up.  '85KRS, just turned '84K, posting before that valve leaks may be  allowing gases into pipes makes said noises.  Leading to reconditioning an extra head for replacement.

Before doing anything I think a lot about stuff, and it helps to have an extra scoot.  So, I did a leak down test with compressed air on each cylinder in turn using 100psi at top dead center compression.  Cold, no leaks into crankcase or exhaust pipe.  Hot?  Same deal.  This old K doesn't, far as I can ascertain have a leaky valve or valves!

I'm not an expert mechanic, don't have a scope thingy I can snake in there, just that there were no perceivable leaking sounds or rushing air. 

Now on to other stuff, went to the baseline of the bike's condition when I received it.  So today reattached the pressure switch that signals to the ECU which according to somebody modifies the midrange throttle response.   Went for hot lap or two.  No difference.  Same old same old.  Not to worry, cuz it's becoming clearer that there must be either an intake leak problem which doesn't show itself until the engine gets hot, or, maybe, I'm still thinking. 

Doing one thing at a time, bound sooner or later to hit on the problem.  Here's the plugs, they all look the same, tan on the porcelain.
  • MN
  • 85 K100RS

Offline The Dude

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #2277 on: August 18, 2016, 11:26:07 PM »
Nine80seven,
I'm surprised at 84 k miles your shims are at the minimum.Oh I remember they had faulty speedos back then and changed them under warranty.I'm on my third....
The old K100 did make funny knocking noises and if your the sensitive silent type you might get a little worried about them but if it's not progressing worse then no worries.

Today I got my act together and finally restarted my 75s from an extended servicing regime.I had changed the oil filter so when I noticed that the oil level had been reduced by the filter filling,It needed topping up.Because I used the lawn mower batery to jump start I left it running on a fast idle (didn't want starter relay weld up,again)whilst I removed the oil filler cap,never done this on the brick but...I knew it could be messy so I gingerly removed the cap and the revs dropped to almost stalled no gushing mess and a quick twist of the idle speed adjuster kept it going whilst I poured in more oil.Cap back on and the revs went back up.So I thought,oh yeah the crank case breather rubber must be alright,then and I went for a great little blast and back.This is a motor that has been serviced for a quarter of a million km and runs as good or better than it ever did!
 I always start off overly gentle expecting a Big Crunch and by the time I'm on way back I'm back up to ,,,well, the ton (Licence loosing)on this little outing with no crunching, piston shattering wheel locking disaster.Happy days. :riding:
  • Auckland, New Zealand
  • K75s
Current.
TR6R 1973 from new.
Moto guzzi 850 III .1983 from,almost, new.
K75S 1986 from new.vin-0103141
On my second millionth km.give or take a hundred k Kay's.
"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there."
All the best!

Offline Nine80seven

« Reply #2278 on: August 19, 2016, 01:10:20 AM »
Can only figure early heads, circa '84, had fast wearing valve seats.  Exhaust valve last adjustment by dealer 12k previous, clearance varied between .20mm-.15mm.  Intake, wait for it...., .12mm-.07mm.  On cylinder three exhaust down to 2.10 shim.  So have keep eye on it.  Not much left to adjust.  It was as if no adjustment had ever been made, or, bad seats.  Anywho, they're clicking real nice now, like a sewing machine.  I think the mileage is correct unless first owner rode the crap outta it.  Getting bike to where I like to ride.  Plan to ride well into my late years and I like this one.  Plenty smooth compared to some buzz bombs.
  • MN
  • 85 K100RS

Offline The Dude

« Reply #2279 on: August 19, 2016, 05:37:26 AM »
Can only figure early heads, circa '84, had fast wearing valve seats.  Exhaust valve last adjustment by dealer 12k previous, clearance varied between .20mm-.15mm.  Intake, wait for it...., .12mm-.07mm.  On cylinder three exhaust down to 2.10 shim.  So have keep eye on it.  Not much left to adjust.  It was as if no adjustment had ever been made, or, bad seats.  Anywho, they're clicking real nice now, like a sewing machine.  I think the mileage is correct unless first owner rode the crap outta it.  Getting bike to where I like to ride.  Plan to ride well into my late years and I like this one.  Plenty smooth compared to some buzz bombs.
Your minimal "tappet" clearences won't help.A quick sum suggests your ex valve had a 2.25thick shim before it was replaced.This is a high milage shim or...
In my limited experience the 8 valves "seat"in with a flurry of shim changing,then they settle down for a long haul of stability for years,50-100 k miles.If the odo is original...the previous owner must have been,,,well she didn't write the bike off so must have been a real good rider for the thrashing it must have got,from cold,every day...I read somewhere ,years ago,BMW engines are QA random sample tested for 100hours at the red line when standard practice was 50 hours.Brick red line is conservative and the rev limiter sorts out the idiots cause there is no point being up there unless you stole it and were continually running away from the law.(mind you there's  just too many corners and no real lengths of "slab" where I come from).So,I would be very dissapointed in what you've ended up with,unless there is a realistic explanation.Like valve seats cut too deep and original shims had to be thinner to get over the manufacturing "fur cup", as they say.
My smallest ex shim is 2.50,now,maybe 2.45 cause I have a crap vernier and I've done ...almost twice your indicated milage.And I stole it for half that,at least.
'Not very likely that '84 s had below par valve seats .German metalagy has been the best ...on the planet for the last 50 years and the designers would have been told this"new"design must not fail (early)because they traded on high milage high speed reliability and they'd just departed from those funny airheads so risk management...
I suspect your fuel is crap...or your using minimum octane.Forget lead and valve seats,that was bullshit,by the way.It was the cheapest nastiest way of improving preignition,pinking,knocking.
Just saying.
Any who?you could be on that long plateau of valve adjustment stability.Good you've got a long term plan.Remember:The greatest risk by a wide margin to the longevity of your brick and you is some variation on T boning that car at the intersection.
Any who,all the best.
  • Auckland, New Zealand
  • K75s
Current.
TR6R 1973 from new.
"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there."
All the best!

Offline Nine80seven

« Reply #2280 on: August 19, 2016, 09:27:52 AM »
Thanx for the heads up and good advice.  Anytime an old bike is acquired it takes a lot of reading and wrenching before you get to know it.  Nobody wanted this one and it likely would have gone to the jumble. 
  • MN
  • 85 K100RS

Offline BlitzenGruv

• My first BMW. Been riding old British forever..
« Reply #2281 on: August 19, 2016, 10:47:45 PM »
I tried to replace the lamp in my headlight. Squeezing hands into the cramped space I found this goofy ring holding the lamp in place. What's wrong, the spring clip which holds everybody else's H4 lamp pin place is not good enough?
Now I have a loose lamp, can't seem to pull the plug off, and I darn sure can't get this stupid ring back into place. Do I really need to remove the fairing to replace a headlight lamp?
WTF: I thought BMWs were supposed to be easy to work on!
  • Crossville, TN
  • '92 K100rs, 16v, '71 BSA Lightning, '72 Triumph Bonneville, '72 Triumph Trident
You say I'm schizophrenic, but I don't believe we are.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2282 on: August 19, 2016, 11:23:14 PM »
I thought BMWs were supposed to be easy to work on!
Many people thought they never needed work, Blitzen Gruv. They were wrong too. Anyway, does this help?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline BlitzenGruv

« Reply #2283 on: August 20, 2016, 02:35:45 AM »
Thanks, but I can see that by looking at it. Just wonder why they weren't satisfied by the easy spring clip used by everybody else who uses this lamp. Especially given the cramped quarters. It's almost like they're padding the hours for their techs.
That retainer is a PITA to put back in place!
  • Crossville, TN
  • '92 K100rs, 16v, '71 BSA Lightning, '72 Triumph Bonneville, '72 Triumph Trident

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #2284 on: August 20, 2016, 10:23:30 AM »
I just changed the bulb on my RS and it took about a half hour.  It was not easy, but it wasn't impossible either. 

I am going to guess that your hands are a lot bigger than mine. 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Nine80seven

« Reply #2285 on: August 20, 2016, 11:22:41 AM »
Don't know which is worse, stretching the S fairing off the right stalk to get at the R90 headlight, or the KRS bulb.  Obviously same design team. 
  • MN
  • 85 K100RS

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #2286 on: August 20, 2016, 11:41:28 AM »
They obviously think we all have access to the leprechauns who install and work on the diesel engines on sailboats.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #2287 on: August 20, 2016, 12:54:18 PM »
I just changed the bulb on my RS and it took about a half hour.  It was not easy, but it wasn't impossible either. 
The Riders Manual makes it look so easy—another Teutonic myth. Would  light-backpacker's chopsticks help?
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #2288 on: August 20, 2016, 02:55:32 PM »

I am going to guess that your hands are a lot bigger than mine.

Sounds like Donald could get a job changing headlight bulbs if his presidential ambitions don't pan out. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline The Dude

« Reply #2289 on: August 20, 2016, 03:23:53 PM »

Sounds like Donald could get a job changing headlight bulbs if his presidential ambitions don't pan out. 
He could start with the one in his own head.
By the way,Donald doesn't actually want the job.You can tell,if you read between the lines of his TelePrompTer.
  • Auckland, New Zealand
  • K75s
Current.
TR6R 1973 from new.
All the best!

Offline TrueAce

« Reply #2290 on: August 20, 2016, 04:16:12 PM »
Why should be take a pay cut? He never thought he would get this far, and can't find a graceful way out. Like the old saying "Sometimes the dawg catches the car".
  • Florida
  • '85 K100GS, '85 K100RSSC,', '94 K1100RS,'10 S1000rr,'14 Ural Sidecar, '15 R Nine T

Offline The Dude

« Reply #2291 on: August 20, 2016, 06:17:46 PM »
Why should be take a pay cut? He never thought he would get this far, and can't find a graceful way out. Like the old saying "Sometimes the dawg catches the car".
Your onto it.Those effing dawgs.I get off and kick the living shit out of them,now.(My contribution to motorcycling safety).It works,mostly.
This excersise was leverage to increase his media network pay packet.
  • Auckland, New Zealand
  • K75s
Current.
TR6R 1973 from new.
All the best!

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #2292 on: August 20, 2016, 06:54:11 PM »
On my Ural one slotted screw drops the whole headlight assembly.  Even basketball palming hands have elbow room.  Good thing it's easy to work on or it would get torched!
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #2293 on: August 20, 2016, 07:09:08 PM »
On my Ural one slotted screw drops the whole headlight assembly.
Same one-screw disassembly with my K75 Standard.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline bizzaro

• co pilot
« Reply #2294 on: August 21, 2016, 05:57:35 PM »
Replaced fuel filter(NAPA Gold 3032), and new spark plugs(Bosch XR5DC).  Also checked my valves; 1994 k11lt

Intake: 1a=.15  1b=.15 / 2a=.18  2b=.20 / 3a=.20  3b=.20 / 4a=.13  4b=.19.  I don't like that many are just at the limit, and 4a is real tight! 

Exhaust: 1a=.29  1b=.28 / 2a=.30  2b=.30 /3a=.28  3b=.28 [ 4a=.28  4b-.30.  Again many at the limit of margin.  I did them all twice to be sure.  I am pretty sure Chris Harris says the exhaust valves are fine a little loose. 

After only 4k on my spark plugs, they are so oily, fuel wet, and full of carbon, they failed.  I have never had that happen. They are Bosch, but made in India if that has anything to do with it. Got them through NAPA and had to get a 10 pack for $75!  Instead of the familiar green circular stripe, they have blue stripes.  My bike hardly uses oil, and I get in the mid 40's for mpg?? :dunno2: Gots to get this biatch running right. OH Yea, I have shitty compression across the board.  Looks like a Winter tear-down to me.
  • Vermont
  • Current:1994 BMW K1100LT Previous: 1982 Yamaha virago 920,1973 Honda CB550,1976 Yamaha 650 Special
See Ya in the Twisties,
 Bizz

Offline Martin

« Reply #2295 on: August 21, 2016, 06:32:13 PM »
What were the compression readings, if you still have the old plugs try putting them back, I always keep a set of known old good plugs. I've had brand new expensive racing plugs fail in one race.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline bizzaro

• co pilot
« Reply #2296 on: August 21, 2016, 07:13:46 PM »
Hey Martin,

I used two compression testers.  They both came within 10 or 20 PSI. All right around 100 to 120 psi.

1st test..1-95  2-100  3-100  4-90  2nd test, different compression tester ...1-110  2-120   3-120  4=110   Both testers are old. It's what I gots. My bike is definitely lacking power. 

And the plugs that came out were seriously spent.  Sparking all over inside by the insulator, not at the tip. I used an old set to check the spark before I pulled the plugs in the bike.  The test plugs had a great spark.  The ones in the bike did not! My bike has been running progressively worse.  Stumbling and coughing whenever?  I am trying to eliminate the simple stuff first.   I made sure I had decent fuel pressure.  It was pumping fine, but I replaced the filter anyway.  Then I checked the spark by connecting my plug leads to a set of old plugs and grounding them.  Great spark.  That is when it dawned on me the plugs in the bike were bad.  With only 4k on them mind you!  So out they come and were tested like the used ones grounded and connected to the leads.................Spark was dismal, sporadic and weak.  So it is running much better now, Though still lacking power.  Hoping it keeps me on the road till the season ends. 

• Vermont
  • Current:1994 BMW K1100LT Previous: 1982 Yamaha virago 920,1973 Honda CB550,1976 Yamaha 650 Special
See Ya in the Twisties,
 Bizz

Offline BlitzenGruv

« Reply #2297 on: August 21, 2016, 08:04:28 PM »
Got the lamp in. Actually wasn't too difficult once I changed to attacking the problem form the left side of the bike.
Still, I didn't make it in time for the group ride to the Ton Up meeting. I made the meeting though, nice 100 mile round trip.

However, I think that Lucas has infected the electrics from being parked next to the BSA. The turn signals quit locking in the on position. I can hold the button and they work, but as soon as I release they stop. Is there some relay I should be looking at to solve this?
  • Crossville, TN

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #2298 on: August 21, 2016, 08:34:41 PM »
The turn signals quit locking in the on position.
Both sides' signals or just one side's signal?
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline motorheadsdiygarage

• Knowledge is Power
  • Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2299 on: August 21, 2016, 08:51:28 PM »
1. Replaced the front brake line (cracked) and cleaned and bled the system.
2. Replaced the cluster support (Had a broken retention bolt and was fatigued in many places)
3. Replaced the high beam indicator lamp (burnt out)
  • Near Montreal Canada
  • 1992 BMW K75S