Author Topic: What Did You Did To Your Motobrick Today ?  (Read 1909351 times)

Offline argent brick

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
Re: What Did You Did To Your Motobrick Today ?
« Reply #925 on: June 21, 2013, 08:23:18 PM »
Used a "Seal Mate" on my fork seals today. It seemed to work just fine. Simple too. Time will tell if it did the job or I have to tear into my forks. Keep your fingers crossed.

My seals just showed up but for $5 it's got my attention. Let us know how it worked.

Vid so others can see what this is.

Can do. Let me ride the silver beast for a few days and I will report back first part of next week.
Lynn

Current:
1995 K75/3A Standard

Past:
1978 Yamaha xs750(P.O.S.)
1976 R60/6 RIP

Offline Grim

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #926 on: June 22, 2013, 04:25:42 PM »
Changed the angle of the dangle.

The kick stand was bent bad enough that it has a flat spot rubbed into it from the muffler. Its was leaning so far over that I just didnt use it unless there was not a level spot to use the center stand where I could use the slope to counter. There was a bunch of slop at the pivot so I ordered a bushing for it that came in this week.  :falldown:

When I pulled it all apart there was 2 bends and the the fork where it bolts on was splayed out. A good bit of time with the torch and 12 ton press its back to pretty straight. I also used a ABS sensor shim to take some of the slop out of the pivot as well. Now has well over 1 inch of clearance on the muffler and hits the rubber bumper correctly.  Waiting on the fresh paint to dry and considering a small spacer on the pad but not finding anything in the shop. I think I saw Duck posted he has a hockey puck on his. Worried about the weigh possibly making it drop on a hard bump.

So once I get it together I believe it will require a nice long test ride to make sure the kick stand is functioning properly. See if I can find a cruise in to check out how it works.  :riding:
1995 Morea Green K1100LT

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #927 on: June 22, 2013, 11:58:52 PM »
Today I finished replacing the steering head bearings and putting it all back together.
New tires, all the oils changed, replacement brake rotors on the front, waiting for new pads, but I'm definitely going to ride it in the mean time.....
Handles sweet now, no hesitation to drop into the corners.
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (R.I.P.)
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

Offline argent brick

« Reply #928 on: June 23, 2013, 06:00:55 PM »
Used a "Seal Mate" on my fork seals today. It seemed to work just fine. Simple too. Time will tell if it did the job or I have to tear into my forks. Keep your fingers crossed.

My seals just showed up but for $5 it's got my attention. Let us know how it worked.

Can do. Let me ride the silver beast for a few days and I will report back first part of next week.

Seal Mate update.... The tool was very easy to use and worked slicker than snot. My fork leak is completely gone. It took me about about 10 minutes the first time and that included watching the online video. I used the tool a second time the next day just to be sure.

I admit, I did not think it was going to work. The forks have been leaking since before I bought the bike, about one and a half years ago. I hated to spend the money to have a shop do the repairs because money is tight right now. Shop cost: $72 per hour plus parts.  Seal Mate: $5.99 at the local dirt bike shop. It is amazing how a little piece of plastic could save me that much cash.
Lynn

Current:
1995 K75/3A Standard

Past:
1976 R60/6 RIP

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #929 on: June 23, 2013, 06:18:33 PM »
I've heard of this being done in the past with standard 35mm film strip as well.
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited

Offline Grim

« Reply #930 on: June 24, 2013, 05:00:15 PM »

Seal Mate update.... The tool was very easy to use and worked slicker than snot. My fork leak is completely gone. It took me about about 10 minutes the first time and that included watching the online video. I used the tool a second time the next day just to be sure.

I admit, I did not think it was going to work. The forks have been leaking since before I bought the bike, about one and a half years ago. I hated to spend the money to have a shop do the repairs because money is tight right now. Shop cost: $72 per hour plus parts.  Seal Mate: $5.99 at the local dirt bike shop. It is amazing how a little piece of plastic could save me that much cash.

Good to hear. Looks like a local dirt bike dealer might have it. Their online shows it at least.  My buddy with a Kaw ZRX1200 just noticed his leaking and looking forward to giving it a try as well.
1995 Morea Green K1100LT

Offline argent brick

« Reply #931 on: June 24, 2013, 07:53:51 PM »

Good to hear. Looks like a local dirt bike dealer might have it. Their online shows it at least.  My buddy with a Kaw ZRX1200 just noticed his leaking and looking forward to giving it a try as well.

I figured it was snake oil. But for $5 bucks it was worth a try. Like I said, I did not think it was going to work. I have never seen a fork seal leak as bad as mine.  I would have oil splattered all over my engine and radiator cowling after a very short ride. Only problem that I can see is that now I have to tear apart a perfectly good set of forks to install fork boots. Anybody have the OEM stock # for the boots?
Lynn

Current:
1995 K75/3A Standard

Past:
1976 R60/6 RIP

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #932 on: June 24, 2013, 08:35:50 PM »
Only problem that I can see is that now I have to tear apart a perfectly good set of forks to install fork boots. Anybody have the OEM stock # for the boots?

Why? instead of removing the fork lowers and ruin a set of seals, remove the entire fork out of the upper/lower tree's and put the boots on.
May be a little more work, but saves you more trouble and $.

As far as the boots themselves, get yourself a set or Rancho 1952's. You may be able to find them at your local parts store or Amazon has them for less than $5 each.
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited

Offline Par751

• Curious
« Reply #933 on: June 27, 2013, 09:49:51 PM »
Replaced the fairing and windshield on my 85 K100rs.  Happy Days.

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #934 on: June 27, 2013, 10:38:24 PM »
New clutch.

Offline frogy

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #935 on: June 30, 2013, 07:45:04 AM »
Replaced the fairing and windshield on my 85 K100rs.  Happy Days.
Dang, that's some damage. Did your dog take a bite out of it?
2002 R1150RT
1985 K100 Naked

Craig

Offline Par751

• Curious
« Reply #936 on: June 30, 2013, 07:50:54 PM »
Had a crack that finally just gave way.  There was a parabellum shield over it when I bought it hiding the cracks.  Lucked into a perfect match.   

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #937 on: June 30, 2013, 10:48:43 PM »
This weekend I installed full sets of Kevlar brake pads on both bikes, so I'll be able to try them out and see how they last and how they function.
I also installed a rear brake rotor on the '97.
I installed a set of replacement front rotors on the '95 last weekend as I was putting it back together.
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited

Offline Grim

« Reply #938 on: July 01, 2013, 02:02:06 PM »
I HATE people!

So this weeks project was to do spline lubs.
Little background Bought my 95 1100LT a few months ago. It has been neglected for the last 10 years. Slowly going through the bike getting it back 100%. ABS lights were on and I took a chance that it was just the common tripped light from a low battery. Wouldnt reset so I started digging deeper and found the main harness to the ECM had the grounds burnt up and the plug into the ECM is also burnt up at the grounds. $2700 bike....I'll live without the ABS and I have been riding it. I also had an intermittent run problem that went away when I cleaned the Motronic connector.

So today I start pulling things apart to do the splines and finding more issues. The check valve on the tank valve was broken off so it was creating a vacuum leak. Explains the high idle. No big deal I already have the Air accumulator cup as I was going to plug that.
  Get the tank off and there's a pin hole leak at a weld for the tab on the side of the tank. No big deal there is a shop up the road that makes aluminum fuel tanks for hot rods. He should be able to take care of that and its far enough from the visible painted part of the tank that there should be no damage to the paint.

Pull the ecm and battery and I find the MAIN ground coming from the battery is not connected. Its just laying there behind the starter mounting bolt it should be attached too. The other starter bolt is not even there. Now the 8 gauge (maybe 6g) Ground comes off the battery goes to a lug at the starter and has two 10 gauge pig tails that one goes to the ABS Servo and the other to the main ground lug on the frame under the tank.
 SO SOME HACK!  :twak: left this stuff loose. The bike has been pulling its starter groudn the the ABS and the frame. Explains the cooked ABS harness. So its officially dead to the point Id have to replace the ECM, Servo, harness and Brain to make it work correctly.   :grimreaper:

So I wasn't planning to gut that stuff yet but I may go ahead and do so this week. I'm going to bend up a couple short lines to bypass the Servo and pull that mess out. I'll make a small box to sit in its vacant spot for storage of tools and maybe quart of oil

1995 Morea Green K1100LT

Offline billday

« Reply #939 on: July 01, 2013, 10:40:51 PM »
Oil change.... A big jug of Mobil 1 15w50 from Wal-Mart, $25 (so much cheaper than AutoZone). Bosch oil filter + new O-ring and crush washer from Beemer Boneyard (bought a half dozen filters from BB while back, forget what I paid). Life is good.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline Little Red

• Curious
« Reply #940 on: July 03, 2013, 10:19:44 AM »
New tires for the K75.  I went with bridgestones and like them so far but still scuffing them in.   Local dealer charged $90 to mount and balance new tires, I removed the wheels and furnished the tires.  Seem excessive?   How many use a Harbor freight or other changer and do their own?

Offline healthy

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • get up!
« Reply #941 on: July 03, 2013, 11:38:05 AM »
I decided to figure out how to do it myself when i realized anywhere in Chicago would be asking for more than the tires cost me on amazon.

i use 2x4s to break the bead (levered under something like a car or a fence) and a couple of tire irons + soap to fit the tire. 2nd one was much easier than the first one, and i think i have room to get better next time too.
1986 K75T, her name is JEZ.
and now a 1996 K75, BUE.

Offline Grim

« Reply #942 on: July 03, 2013, 12:44:50 PM »
I decided to figure out how to do it myself when i realized anywhere in Chicago would be asking for more than the tires cost me on amazon.

i use 2x4s to break the bead (levered under something like a car or a fence) and a couple of tire irons + soap to fit the tire. 2nd one was much easier than the first one, and i think i have room to get better next time too.
Just a FYI.
I'm an extreme DIYer. I rebuild the transmissions on my cars. That said..wheels just piss me off. Ive doen some 33's and it was NO fun. I found a cheaper way (not as cheap as buying the tire irons) but not free.

Check with automotive tire stores that sell high end mag wheels. If they can do the expensive wheels on cars they can do a motorcycle wheel. They need to have a "Bead clamp machine". Same shop that did my reverse mount 17s on my hot rod did my motor cycle for $10 a wheel. They of course cant balance them so I bought the $40 Harbor freight ballancer. Saved $20 this go round over the local motorcycle shops price.  Already had a bud pitch in $10 on the ballancer after he used the same wheel shop. So he saved $20 and I've saved another $10.
1995 Morea Green K1100LT

Offline Grim

« Reply #943 on: July 03, 2013, 12:55:41 PM »
Over the Hump on my spline lube(s). Day 3 LOL

Seemed like Monday and Tuesday Id get in 1-2 hours of work then chase tools/parts for 2 hours rinse and repeat. I'm also scrapping the ABS (see previous post) so had to get some lines made and I found a hairline crack in my tank so had to find a place to fix that. 
With the Monson that has been predicted I kind of jammed myself into a small space in my shop. My 1970 Pontiac Convertible Only had the top put up once a year for the last 17 (late Nov early Dec) so I wasn't about to change that so it became BMW parts storage device.
Used a movers Dolly with some cribbing to aid in removing the transmission. Made it easy.
So today I got the transmission off.....
Grease....what is this grease thing you speak of because BMW apparently has never heard about it. Bike has 46k and I dont think its ever been apart.  These parts have not been clean yet. WTF?  :dunno

1995 Morea Green K1100LT

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #944 on: July 03, 2013, 05:13:44 PM »
those are some looking good splines...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline WayneDW

« Reply #945 on: July 03, 2013, 05:52:50 PM »
New tires for the K75.  I went with bridgestones and like them so far but still scuffing them in.   Local dealer charged $90 to mount and balance new tires, I removed the wheels and furnished the tires.  Seem excessive?   How many use a Harbor freight or other changer and do their own?
Shop around.  Find a little bike repair shop who's owner is a little hungry.  You don't say where you are located but around here the cost is $20-$40 each.
  • Minneapolis, MN, USA
  • 1992 K75RT

Offline roninvt

• free range, cage free
« Reply #946 on: July 03, 2013, 10:00:35 PM »
Today I lubed the final drive, changed the transmission and final drive oils and installed my new Rick Mayer seat. Cant wait to put some miles on the seat   :riding:
1990 K75C
1993 K1100RS

Offline Grim

« Reply #947 on: July 03, 2013, 10:51:45 PM »
those are some looking good splines...

j o
I bet you say that to all the K Riders. ;)

After seeing how bone dry they are I'm relieved. The dive shaft and input shaft look good. The clutch splines are a little worn so in 20k ill just throw a new disc in if I still have it.
1995 Morea Green K1100LT

Offline pallum

« Reply #948 on: July 04, 2013, 03:08:57 AM »
Out having a nice ride in the forests near Mt. Adams...

...When the brick finally gave in from my punishment

That shock has 60,000 miles plus whatever the PO put on it before me-- I'm surprised it's held with me this far. New one on order  :musicboohoo:
  • Federal Way, WA
1994 K75RT 45,000 miles (Apr 2020)

Offline grant71

« Reply #949 on: July 04, 2013, 04:27:07 AM »
WHAT A BEAUTIFUL PHOTO OF MT ADAMS. ISEE FROM MY OLD MAP THAT FRANKLIN IS ABOUT 15 MILES SOUTH OF NASHVILLE. WHERE EXACTLY IS MT. ADAMS?
I Live In Cape Town South Africa.  I Ride A 1986 K100RS.