Author Topic: Incorrect combination pump seal tool  (Read 911 times)

Offline Fixfocus

• Curious
Incorrect combination pump seal tool
« on: April 23, 2022, 07:21:28 AM »
I just did my seals for the oil-/waterpump on my K1100LT. I took my time, googled the procedure and thought I did everything right. But as many others, I did not succeed the first time. In my case I think it was due to the wrong kind of tool. I bought tools from a german company specifically made for this purpose. But I believe their tool for the waterpump seal is for the older type of seal, made of rubber mostly. That tool presses only on the narrower spring-loaded part of the seal, which makes it go in too far on the shaft. They claim their tool is the current version, and that the one I think is the proper one, is the old tool and no longer available. They have sold 20 units with no complaints. Hmm, I am a little confused here but I have now ordered the "old tool" from USA. Hopefully this will solve my problem the second time around. Or I may totally have misunderstood how to use this new tool? In the enclosed pdf you can see the different tools.
  • Stockholm
  • K1100LT, -97

Offline Fixfocus

• Curious
Re: Incorrect combination pump seal tool
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2022, 11:19:46 AM »
Here are some more info on my topic. Please see enclosed pdf for more understanding of my problem regarding change of seals in water-/oilpump on a BMW K1100 LT, 1997.

BACKGROUND
I have bought and used special tools for the oil- and waterpump seals and failed with the mechanical waterpump seal. I ended with a waterleak for some reason and I can at least rule out corrosion damages on the shaft, since I bought a perfect and brand new one.

WRONG TOOL?
I believe the tool I purchased for the waterpump seal is not optimal, or not even the proper one for this. The mentioned tools are sold by BMWbayer in Germany. Their tool for the oil seal works perfectly. It is marked Bosch 11 1 640 (83 30 0 401 442).

The other tool however, the one for the waterpump seal, is pressing on just the springloaded part of the mechanichal seal, and therefore stresses this part - and also compresses this part too much when it settles on the shaft. Or is there perhaps another way of using this tool? I haven´t figured it out.

THE OLDER TYPE OF SEAL
The original rubber seal for the waterpump, the one I removed from my bike, is perhaps the seal used with this tool? BMWbayer claims it is the correct and up to date tool and have had no complaints from the 20 sets sold (apart from my remark/confusion).

TOOLS THAT MAY WORK
At http://largiader.com/articles/waterpump/
there is a reference to what i believe is the correct BMW tool set. He writes:

”The 83 30 0 401 624 tool set (was 90 88 6 11 720) for these pumps ...

... 11 6 724 mandrel for installing coolant seal. This presses the seal into the housing and also supports the inner part of the seal and leaves it with about 1.5mm spring compression.”

SIMILAR TOOL FOUND HERE
Euro Motoelectrics and Max BMW Motorcycles both sell a similar tool.
I have ordered mine from Euro Motoelectrics but it is now stuck and delayed on the FedEx hub in Belgium.

(www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/pumpkittool628.htm)

(https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/PartsDetails.aspx?source=catalog&diagram=ST_11%206%20724)

VIDEO
A guy on Youtube shows how the tool is used.
()

Since this repair seems to come with at least one or two trials before it is successful, I will keep you informed on how my repair develops with this other tool. Hopefully it will save you some time and money.

• Stockholm
  • K1100LT, -97

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2022, 12:35:53 PM »
I did my 93 K1100LT in 2013 and did not need any special tools. Still going strong in 2022.

Here are my notes:
http://www.kbikeparts.com/classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/K1100LT.Water.Pump.V1.2_compressed.pdf
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Fixfocus

• Curious
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2022, 01:22:56 PM »
The method to pull the shaft through the seal with the impeller screw seems to be working fine. If my second attempt fails I will certainly go for that method.
  • Stockholm
  • K1100LT, -97

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2022, 02:10:00 PM »
WRONG TOOL?
I believe the tool I purchased for the waterpump seal is not optimal, or not even the proper one for this. The mentioned tools are sold by BMWbayer in Germany. Their tool for the oil seal works perfectly. It is marked Bosch 11 1 640 (83 30 0 401 442).

The other tool however, the one for the waterpump seal, is pressing on just the springloaded part of the mechanichal seal, and therefore stresses this part - and also compresses this part too much when it settles on the shaft.
Are you indicating that you used the tool you bought to install the seal anyway despite its not interfacing with the seal perimeter as shown in the video excerpt below?

• Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Fixfocus

• Curious
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2022, 01:30:14 AM »
Yes, that is correct. That was the only way I could figure out how to use it. Bad choice, and the seller still claims it is the correct tool for it. German company, spcecialized in BMW parts. What am I missing here?
Well, now waiting for what seems to be the correct tool. We´ll se how that turns out.
  • Stockholm
  • K1100LT, -97

Offline Fixfocus

• Curious
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 12:44:00 PM »
Got the proper tool for the seal and the repair went just fine - finally.
No leaks and the bike is on the road again.
  • Stockholm
  • K1100LT, -97

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2022, 04:11:54 PM »
 icon_cheers
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Tags: