Author Topic: Im just here for the advice and sandwiches  (Read 4505 times)

Offline Swampyankee

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: Im just here for the advice and sandwiches
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2022, 09:12:22 AM »
There may have been some non braced 86's produced, the factory one has a 2 piece front fender with the brace in the middle.  The 85's had a one piece fender and there were aftermarket braces available.

I'll find out more as soon as I get it home tonight, but it's allegedly a German market bike, imported by the owners. Would that matter?
  • Rhode Island
  • '86 K100RS
'65 Benelli Sprite
'73 Ossa SDR

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2022, 11:47:19 AM »
It will fit on an 8 foot utility trailer.  Just go a little diagonal to lift the gate.

The overall length of a K100RS is 7.3 feet (2220 mm) and will easily fit an 8 foot long trailer bed.

Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2022, 11:53:52 AM »
Interesting. He has the brace but had removed it. I thought it was an aftermarket piece.

If the fork brace looks like this then it is an aftermarket Teleflex fork brace:

Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
Buy parts here.

Offline Swampyankee

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2022, 12:00:50 PM »
 IIRC the brace was bright anodized aluminum. I'll get a better look at it when I collect the bike this afternoon.
  • Rhode Island
  • '86 K100RS
'65 Benelli Sprite
'73 Ossa SDR

Offline Swampyankee

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2022, 07:44:11 AM »
Got the subject bike home last night. The seller gave me a couple of boxes of parts he had removed including the accessories, the aforementioned fork brace (it's aftermarket), tragkorb mounting brackets, and a bag of bolts and hardware.
Unfortunately, he had gutted the inside of the fairing years ago and hadn't saved any of it. Apparently, he had laid the bike down (as scratches on the crank-side engine case attest) and when he had the fairing repaired and repainted, he removed the mountings for the mirrors and threw away the fairing inners. When I got it home I looked closely and there are none of the mountings, etc. remaining.
(not allowing me to attach a pic here)
Although the focus will be to get the bike running and sorted mechanically, I will be looking for all the inner panels and mounting brackets to restore all that. I downloaded a parts diagram I found online to aid in ID'ing what I'll need.
Question - I see some inner panels that incorporate gages. That seller said there were never gages that he recalls. Was that a later year, US market, or RT/LT thing? This bike is an '86 European market bike.
  • Rhode Island
  • '86 K100RS
'65 Benelli Sprite
'73 Ossa SDR

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2022, 08:06:35 AM »
What are the last seven digits of the VIN?

Some bikes had fuel and temp gauges, some didn't. I'm pretty sure that all RS-SE (Special Edition) and LT bikes had them. All 86 and on bikes should have a connector for them under the tank so you can add them if you want to.

Link:
http://www.kbikeparts.com/classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/auxguages/auxguages.htm

Buy parts here.

Online The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2022, 09:05:38 AM »
The good news about the fairing is that with so many bikes being hacked to make Cappuccino racers.  Almost everything you need will be on eBay.  Most of the mounting parts are still available from MaxBMW, and for some strange reason are still reasonably priced. 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Swampyankee

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2022, 09:11:03 AM »
I will put an ad in WTB section here as well. And maybe mention my needs in the Custom Motobrick section. There's got to be someone on this forum that is stripping or modding an RS.
  • Rhode Island
  • '86 K100RS
'65 Benelli Sprite
'73 Ossa SDR

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2022, 09:27:35 AM »
Do you have an RS or RT?   I kinda lost track on this thread.  If it's an RS, I may have some parts here.  In fact I have a bunch of parts for a K1100RS fairing like the one in my avatar but in gray.  I need to get it out of here. 
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Swampyankee

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2022, 09:42:15 AM »
Mine's an '86 K100RS. I don't eed any painted parts, just that black plastic inner pieces.
  • Rhode Island
  • '86 K100RS
'65 Benelli Sprite
'73 Ossa SDR

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2022, 10:22:47 AM »
Let me see what I have.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Swampyankee

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2022, 07:50:41 PM »
I was going by what I saw during my first sight of the bike. Upon closer examination the brace is a Telefix. The story I got when I picked up the bike was that the owner added it trying to cure a shimmy. When he switched from Metzelers to Pirellis he took off the brace snd shimmy was gone so he left it off. The more I look, the more apparent it is that the bike was ridden hard and put up wet. Although he said it was his baby it looks like when hardware or bodywork broke he just removed it rather than repair it.
And the tank leak is coming from the fuel level sender in the center of the tank. A previous leak was caused by one of the mounting pins in the rear of the tank which had probably broken off and has been nicely patched by a welder.
  • Rhode Island
  • '86 K100RS
'65 Benelli Sprite
'73 Ossa SDR

Offline Swampyankee

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2022, 07:55:31 PM »
And BTW, not sure the German market bike story holds true. The stickers on it say it conforms to all federal standards etc. And last 7 of the VIN are 0043204 since someone asked. Although it does have the headlight on-off switch and the tragkorbs have the Touring logo instead of reflectors.
  • Rhode Island
  • '86 K100RS
'65 Benelli Sprite
'73 Ossa SDR

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2022, 09:46:16 PM »
Those switches could be had here in the States.  My K75RT has the headlight switch and it's a U.S. spec bike.

That Corbin seat looks pretty nice.  What is the color code?  There should be a sticker under the seat. 

Is that an Ossa Stiletto in the background?  I had a Pioneer that I campaigned for a year in enduros and Two Day Qualifiers.  Those 250 cc engines had humongous torque.  Too bad the engine was so fragile and the air filter was so low.  It was really a desert racer. 
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2022, 10:07:01 PM »
VIN 0043204 decodes to a US bike built in 11/85.

Does it have a US DOT sticker like this on the left side of the frame?

Buy parts here.

Offline Swampyankee

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2022, 10:09:48 PM »
I just ran a VIN decoder online and it yielded accurate info including a build date of 11/85, but also said it was a US market bike. So nice story about the brothers importing it blah blah, but BS.
Looks like the sticker under the seat with paint code got painted over. Go figure eh. The seat is worn but in decent shape. I like the fact that its lower than stock. Between that and the S 'bars makes for a more comfortable posture.
The bike in the background is a 73 SDR. I've never raced but I've had a number of Ossas over the years. Makes for an international stable - Spanish Ossa, Italian Benelli, German BMW, not to mention an Audi TT assembled in Hungary and  GTI 16V built in Mexico. LOL
  • Rhode Island
  • '86 K100RS
'65 Benelli Sprite
'73 Ossa SDR

Offline daveson

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2022, 10:41:31 PM »
I think the story might still be true, I know a lot of Aussies went to Germany to get a BMW, the tax savings more than paid for the trip. If someone with an English accent goes to a dealership there, they probably say if you're going back to the US, they'll give you a US spec model so it will be easier for you to get rego in the US. Or the Vin plate was put on to get rego for the US, it might have a number on the frame on the right hand side.

One thing I'm guessing is US models maybe need a flapper thingy for the fuel filler, I haven't seen that in OZ on bricks, but have on later model cars. 
  • Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'85 K100RT~100,000km; four other bricks. Past; 1500 Vulcan, V Star 650, KLX 250(dirt bike) TT250(dirt bike)

Offline Swampyankee

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2022, 11:08:23 PM »
VIN 0043204 decodes to a US bike built in 11/85.

Does it have a US DOT sticker like this on the left side of the frame?

Yes, looks just like that except for the VIN of course. One other clue - amongst all the BMW accessory luggage etc. I found a leather luggage tag that says "German Challenge '86". Couldn't find any info on it but could that have been a scheme by BMW where people had a motorcycle holiday in Germany and had the bike shipped home at the end?
  • Rhode Island
  • '86 K100RS
'65 Benelli Sprite
'73 Ossa SDR

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2022, 09:59:09 PM »
Yes, looks just like that except for the VIN of course. One other clue - amongst all the BMW accessory luggage etc. I found a leather luggage tag that says "German Challenge '86". Couldn't find any info on it but could that have been a scheme by BMW where people had a motorcycle holiday in Germany and had the bike shipped home at the end?

Back in the day, BMW did have a program where you could fly to Germany, get a factory tour and take possession of your brand new K. The only person that I know who did this, Phil Marvin, has passed (RIP) so I don't know if you got a Euro bike or a US bike out of the deal. It might make sense to get a US bike because one with that DOT sticker would be easier to import into the US and title.
Buy parts here.

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2022, 10:02:25 PM »
One thing I'm guessing is US models maybe need a flapper thingy for the fuel filler, I haven't seen that in OZ on bricks, but have on later model cars.

The flap was probably put there to please California because that state has a cow over every molecule of gas that might evaporate into the air.
Buy parts here.

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2022, 10:53:34 PM »
Actually the flapper was originally to prevent you from filling with leaded gas, the leaded nozzle was larger and wouldn't fit through the flapper.  I took mine out to get a bit more gas in the tank.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2022, 11:07:53 PM »
I can't say for sure about motorcycles back in the 80's, but I know two members of the yacht club I work at who bought BMW autos in Germany in the last two years.  Both got U.S. models and one of them said he could not get a European model when I asked him if his new car was a Euro spec model.  As I understand it, the purchase was set up through BMW N.A.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Past-my-Prime

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • All of us are better when we're loved.
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2022, 07:39:41 PM »
Others of us went to Germany and bought a euro spec bike (used) and brought it back over the pond and went through the process to register it here. Which wasn't at all painful and allowed an excellent European trip!
  • North Shore of Lake Superior (in my garage)
  • BRICK: 1989 K75 RT - Rocinante; NON-BRICK: 2007 F650 GS Dakar - Betty Blue

Offline Swampyankee

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2022, 07:49:37 PM »
I know back in the 60s my old boss went back to the motherland on his honeymoon and bought a '67 SLK new and brought it home with him. They still have it as far as i know.
  • Rhode Island
  • '86 K100RS
'65 Benelli Sprite
'73 Ossa SDR

Offline Swampyankee

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2022, 10:14:46 AM »
Someone asked about the paint code tag. I assume it was the one under the seat near the tire pressure label. If so, it has been overpainted and torn, so it is illegible.

* 20221028_220021.jpg (94.31 kB . 768x576 - viewed 213 times)
The bike looks as though it has been re-painted, and areas where chipped away show either white underneath or in some places red. Although the bottom of the tank shows no signs of overspray on areas like the fuel level sender. The PO said he had the front faring mirror mounts faired over and repainted after laying the bike down. The upper is cracked on the right side - probably when I laid it over while loading it on the trailer. And the lower fairing shows signs of previous repairs.
It would be nice to know what color the bike was originally, since it really should be repainted. Or I could just  purchase a good set of bodywork from someone building a cafe from an RS. Or this bike might become my experiment in brick ownership, and just replace it with another RS in better condition...
One other thing that might be evidence of the German purchase story is this "German Challenge '86" luggage tag with the original owner's info on it.

* 20221029_134103.jpg (61.5 kB . 768x576 - viewed 214 times)
  • Rhode Island
  • '86 K100RS
'65 Benelli Sprite
'73 Ossa SDR

Tags: k100