Author Topic: 1987 K75 wont hold idle  (Read 4329 times)

Offline tr33houseman

• Motobrick Curious
1987 K75 wont hold idle
« on: August 22, 2016, 01:52:08 AM »
Hey, everyone, first time poster on this forum. I’ve been reading on here for a while and this site has definitely helped with solving an electrical issue before. I have a 1987 K75 with 10,000 miles on it. Let’s see what you guys think. Today I was riding to work and coming to a red light. I started decelerating by braking normally as well as down shifting to 3rd gear and engine braking. I noticed as I held in the clutch the rpms dropped unusually low. (The bike was already warm by the way. I’d been riding for about 10 minutes already and its 65 degrees out.) Anyway the rpms dropped to around 700 and the engine sounded like it was gonna stall until I let out the clutch for minute. I’m still braking as usual and I shift down to 2nd gear to assist with engine braking. Again the rpms drop low and the engine sounds like it’s gonna stall. I let the clutch out and finish braking to a stop. Once I stop (still in second gear with the clutch pulled back in now) the engine dies. While Im waiting for the left turn arrow I switched it into neutral and started the bike up again. It wouldn’t hold so I flipped the “choke” switch to its half way position to raise the idle. Seemed to run alright with the choke half way causing the idle to raise. I proceed onto the last stretch of road before work. Everything’s running great, I get up to 70mph in 5th gear and start to slow down because my turn is coming on the left. As I was driving I put the “choke” switch back into its normal “off” position. I start to slow down in the same way as before using engine braking to assist me. I shift down to 4th, all good, engine braking. I shift down to the 3rd to continue engine braking all good, but this time as I’m COMING to a stop, not even stopped yet, the engine dies as I pull in the clutch before I drop into second gear. Now while I’m coasting with the engine off, I shift down to neutral, start the bike, flip the “choke” switch back to half way and proceed to make my left turn into my work parking lot. I park the bike and now when I go to start it the bike will turn over and the starter will turn but as soon as the engine catches and runs on its own the idle drops and it dies.

I've tried starting it a couple times since i've been at work and as i switch between neutral, 1st, and 2nd with the engine OFF, the tach starts to jump around for about 30 seconds. The engine is not running and the tach jumped up to 3,000 and bounced back down. I have drained the battery trying to start it so i guess im stuck here for a little while.

I have almost a full tank of gas.

As I was accelerating and riding along, even after the first time it stalled out, the acceleration was smooth and even. No misfires or roughness at any point during acceleration. Also, been riding this thing for months now and no issues. Recently had to ride in severe rain but i cant imagine that doing much.

Thank you very much for any suggestions or advice.
  • Lake County
  • 1987 K75 10,000miles (named Rosco)

Offline The Dude

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
Re: 1987 K75 wont hold idle
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 02:45:06 AM »
10,000miles!!
Any suggestions...
A (big)leak of air into the throttle body above the butterfly valves would do that.Not likely.Also, you would have noticed the oil filler plug falling out.(same thing)Mine did exactly that the other day when I had to keep it running whilst I topped up the engine oil.
Tacho fluttering,I dunno?Someone else will....
  • Auckland, New Zealand
  • K75s
Current.
TR6R 1973 from new.
Moto guzzi 850 III .1983 from,almost, new.
K75S 1986 from new.vin-0103141
On my second millionth km.give or take a hundred k Kay's.
"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there."
All the best!

Offline tr33houseman

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 04:45:28 AM »
I appreciate the thoughts. I am looking a little low on oil. So that will be topped off and the spark plugs and fuses will be checked as soon as I get this brick back to my garage.
  • Lake County
  • 1987 K75 10,000miles (named Rosco)

Offline kennybobby

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • Last of the True Southern Sweet Mullets and Squids
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 05:23:05 AM »
... I've tried starting it a couple times since i've been at work and as i switch between neutral, 1st, and 2nd with the engine OFF, the tach starts to jump around for about 30 seconds. The engine is not running and the tach jumped up to 3,000 and bounced back down.

------- Recently had to ride in severe rain but i cant imagine that doing much.

Sounds like something got wet and was causing the gremlins to play, maybe you'll have some dry weather and can get it running and home.
Ridin' 87 K75S vin 1334,
Renchin' 86 75S vin 0061

Online Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 07:03:52 AM »
Sounds like something got wet and was causing the gremlins to play, maybe you'll have some dry weather and can get it running and home.
That's sounds good.

While you're waiting for favorable weather, check fuse #6 for function, disconnect then reconnect firmly the main plug to the electronic control unit under the seat, then do the same with the four-pin connector under the tank.

Eventually, you should remove the fuel cap assembly to have a look into the tank for debris. Empty the tank first and note the orientation of the hinge of the cap when reassembling. It should be to the the rear.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Tags: