Author Topic: steering flaw 95 K11LT  (Read 4463 times)

Offline ljjohns

• Motobrick Curious
steering flaw 95 K11LT
« on: May 27, 2012, 01:04:04 PM »
Joel and I are battling recurring problem on a 1995 K1100LT, low miles, but was involved in low-speed, low side. There is a small amount of faring damage, limited to stress fractures and high-spot grinding. But really bike is in good shape.

In slow speed turns and slaloms, the bike falls into the turn and you have to forcibly correct out of it. Steering is not light at all when the bike is in motion. The behavior is the same at higher speeds. You have to physically hold the bike in a straight line. When bike is on center stand, steering is light, but still feels like it falls full lock right or left.

We replaced and rebuilt the forks, checked spacers on the front axle and replaced handlebars. Compared it to a well running K1100LT, the difference in effort is tremendous. (We're using the '93 K11LT I purchased in Seattle; it had been set up by a long distance rider; it has a Works shock; the problem bike has the standard rear shock, if that matters).

The only thing I can think of at this point is to replace steering head bearings, but these bearings don't feel notchy at all. We are at a loss for a solution to this problem. Any ideas?

Larry Johnson
El Paso TX
  • All in El Paso, garaged in my house, my wife's house, and friends' houses
  • 91K75RT, 95K1100LT, 96K1100LT (restoration project) 2003 K1200LT
Larry Johnson
El Paso TX

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: steering flaw 95 K11LT
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 02:37:46 PM »
greetings ljjohns...

im thinking rear shock... mine has a sweet spot and its like magic.. as little as 1/4" up or down can cause what you described...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline GWHayduke

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 03:39:17 PM »
I think I'm going to be upset if it really is that easy. The shock is currently at its lowest preload setting and since I'm a svelte 225, it likely needs more.
Head wrench and kibitzer for:
R1150RT (mine)
K75RT (Larry's)
3 K1100RTs (Larry's)

Offline billday

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 06:50:10 PM »
To me, it sounds like steering head bearings -- like a race has gotten a flat spot.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 07:06:56 PM »
Same tires and pressures on both bikes?

Wouldn't hurt to repack the steering head bearings.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Rick G

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 08:22:54 PM »
Sounds like notched steering head bearings but also check the alignment of front and rear wheels.
put the bike on the center stand and check the rear wheel for vertical then the front for vertical at center then check front for castor (how far off vertical) at full lock both ways.  Also do a stringline to check the center line of both wheels.
I am always amazed at just how little it takes to bend a frame sometimes, just a flick of the front wheel as the bike slides on the road can do it.

Offline GWHayduke

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 03:37:46 PM »
Hats off to Johnny....Adjusted the rear shock preload. Every notch up, the bike behaved better and better. At max right now. I'll need to take it on a longer ride to decide if we're going to get along at the highest preload setting. The rear of the bike was sitting lower than it should and was affecting the steering geometry.
Head wrench and kibitzer for:
R1150RT (mine)
K75RT (Larry's)
3 K1100RTs (Larry's)

Offline mystic red

• Retired Professsional Driver
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 05:29:22 PM »
Might want to upgrade that rear shock then, huh?

Tags: