Author Topic: Seafoam Vs Chevron Techtron  (Read 24621 times)

Offline DRxBMW

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
Seafoam Vs Chevron Techtron
« on: February 28, 2012, 07:39:59 AM »
Any comments on Seafoam cleaner Vs Chevron Techtron FI concentrate Duck,JO ?

1987 K 100 RT occupying space in my garage currently, it does run a bit on the rough side,stumbles some at idle. Fresh petrol and a fuel filter R&R on the slate for this morning.

IMHO, the bike simply needs to be ridden more. Plan is to go wring the piss out of her this afternoon, see what happens next.

dunno, I'm NOT a big additive fan per say but for bricks that sit, probably a good idea.

The only additive I use on my whip is Startron to defeat alcohol poisoning.

Rumor mill that the Techtron concentrate is the ONLY FI cleaner that actually works. (Tom Cutter)

For the record, I've NEVER used Seafoam period. Does it really do anything ?

thanks _______________________.

Gary
Williamsport,Pa

1994 K 75 ABS "custom"
2005 F 650 GS

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: Seafoam Vs Chevron Techtron
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 07:44:08 AM »
12oz techron... 1st 1/2 in a full tank... 2nd 1/2 in next full tank...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline 552255

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 10:26:04 AM »
I've used Seafoam in all engines as fuel additive...in a carbon fouled rough running buick, it "fixed", and in all my small engines--they start on first pull usually.  Works as stabilizer too.  I'm sure the Techron will do just about the same...go with whats available and on sale!?  Seafoam has gotten a tad pricey lately...not as much as Bk44 tho.

'97 K1100LT-SE
'96 k1100RS-SE

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 10:53:34 AM »
My thoughts are:

Techron for fuel injected engines. Seafoam for carb'd.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Lawrence

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 11:46:34 AM »
I strongly recommend that you avoid stronger concentrations of seafoam or techtron.  Follow the directions on the package!
1985 K100RS

1982 Laverda Mirage 1200TS
1983 BMW R100RS

Offline DRxBMW

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 08:18:35 PM »
My thoughts are:

Techron for fuel injected engines. Seafoam for carb'd.
New NAPA fuel filter,$18.00 worth of premium petrol and 120 miles later, this K 100 is finally running better. GREAT weather, the RT offers more protection than my Parrabellum Scout wind screen on the K 75. 

Upon my return, I synched the TB's, idle has smoothed out.

R&R with Bosch "dual electrode" spark plugs (XR7LDC) to replace the older (X5DC) single electrode model currently in the bike this time around.

Picked up a bottle of Techtron, can't hurt to treat the fuel system.

Called the owner and informed him his bike is ready,bring your checkbook.

Convinced most of the roughness was old gasoline and lack of motor activity,read ride hard.
Gary
Williamsport,Pa

1994 K 75 ABS "custom"
2005 F 650 GS

Offline orforester

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 10:05:04 PM »
Real time, seafoam on sale at K-mart for $6.99 this week.  Pretty cheap and time to stock up. Couple of months ago, NAPA had it on sale for same price.
Bob
1989 K 100 RS se (SOLD)
1985 K 100 RS, now RT
1979 XS 650 Yamaha Street Tracker
2008 R 1200RT

Offline branandfox

• Loraine. K1050RS
is seafoam safe for the crankcase?
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 02:44:03 AM »
I see on the bottle of seafoam that is registers as a Crankcase cleaner as well as a fuel systems cleaner. I will start using it to keep the fuel system clean as soon as my bike is back together in the coming week or two but what about the crankcase? is it safe to run a relatively low amount of seafoam per qt for 30-50 miles/minutes before changing the oil and filter? and if so does it produce results? Id like to know any reviews people may have or suggestions before I dump anything into my crankcase!
Hit the throttle and live.
Don't blink.
Don't slow.
Just breathe.

Offline Jumpin Jimmy B

Re: is seafoam safe for the crankcase?
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »
From the web....I've done this on bikes that have sat a long time. Always make suer the oil level is correct and NOT low.

Using Sea Foam Motor Treatment in crankcase oil

Sea Foam Motor Treatment may be used in an oil crankcase two separate ways, depending on your needs and expectations. Sea Foam Motor Treatment is most commonly used as a pre-service, old oil residue re-liquefier / cleaner. It can also be used as an after-service oil additive. In either application, Sea Foam Motor Treatment will safely and slowly re-liquefy old oil residue. Each method is described below:
 ■As a pre-service cleaner for old oil residue, (and to address valve train noise and timing chain hydraulic tensioner noise), pour 1 ½ ounces of Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the engine oil crankcase for each quart of oil capacity, including filter. Drive a minimum of 30 minutes (a maximum of 100 miles), and then do your oil change service. This begins the process of safely/slowly re-liquefying the old oil residue so contaminants may flow and be filtered away. Your old oil will quickly become much dirtier, so an oil change service will be necessary soon after this pre-service treatment. This is also a great idea for turbocharged and supercharged applications where oils deteriorate so quickly due to heat, leaving those residues that need cleaning.
 ■As an after-service additive for fresh oil, nearly fresh oil, or used oil that is NOT yet ready to be changed (based on mileage since last service). Add the same amount of Sea Foam Motor Treatment to the crankcase as described above, and then regularly monitor your oil for color and clarity. Set a predetermined schedule for checking the oil condition on a mileage, timed, or event basis (such as every time you gas up, etc.) to determine when an oil service is necessary. Monitoring of the oil for color and clarity will tell you when it is time to do an oil change service. NOTE: Do not exceed 3,000 miles without changing the oil.

Remember, Sea Foam Motor Treatment is safe to use with all synthetic oils. Purely synthetic oils, and blends of synthetic and petroleum-based oils, were engineered to be 100% compatible with petroleum-based oils of all brands, and vice versa. Without this compatibility, oil manufacturers and engineers would be liable for the results of mixing non-compatible lubricants. Since Sea Foam Motor Treatment only contains petroleum-based oils, it is entirely compatible with synthetic oils.

Remember, when using Sea Foam Motor Treatment in your crankcase:
 ■Check your oil and monitor its color & clarity to determine need for oil change service!
 ■Change your oil when it gets dirty!
I'd rather be riding.

Offline drut

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 12:58:34 PM »
Have used Wynn's oil flush with good results when I bought a car with filthy oil but with good oil & regular changes the detergents in modern oils seem to do a good enough job for me.

• Newcastle upon Tyne UK
  • 1990 K100RS + 1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II + 1971 Aermacchi/HD 350ss
Much older but certainly no wiser!

Offline branandfox

• Loraine. K1050RS
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 03:42:29 PM »
Jimmy, On those old barn finds how did the treatment work out for you and which treatment did you do? I am thinking of doing a preservice treatment to help clean out any crud especially coming out of a long winter for me.
Don't blink.
Don't slow.
Just breathe.

Offline Jumpin Jimmy B

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 08:53:43 AM »
 I am so sorry, I never checked back. PM me if you need a more immediate response.

Works great. Add the Sea Foam, go for a nice long ride. 100 miles is  this goal. Good mix of city & highway.

Go home & park the bike. Next day short ride 20 miles to warm it all up.  Really clears the old gunk out
GENTLY!!! It needs to dissolve NOT fall or break off in chunks.

Now change the oil & filter.

Run the new oil & filter for 1,000 and change it out and proceed to your normal schedule.

Unless the bike has been sitting a long long time this isn't really needed.

The K1100RS I bought got only 2,000 miles in 8 years. The bike ran fine, would not pull strong after 5,000 RPM.

I did a bus & ride. So, stopped for fresh gas, added Sea Foam to gas, got within 100 or so miles of home and added a good splosh to the crank case.
 Within an hour and a half of adding to the gas bike pulled clean and strong. Might have been just old gas too. Got home and let it sit, rode the next day to work, then the long way home and changed oil. Bike runs good and for the motor has been problem free for over 40,000 miles.

Good luck.
I'd rather be riding.

Offline K75RT Keith

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 09:03:02 AM »
Yes,   Follow the recommended mixture and ride it for a good couple hundred miles of mixed riding (city & Highway).  I agree with Jimmy, it does seem to work better if you let it sit   I put it in and did a 3 day trip (about 1500 miles)  then changed the oil and filter with good results.   If you have a "Barn find" I'd suggest having the injectors cleaned rather than just relying on an additive.  Mine had sat for 3 years and Sea Foam worked ok, but a cleaning by Mr. Injector, made a huge difference.
You can't help someone who doesn't want to hear the answer.

1990 K75RT

Offline branandfox

• Loraine. K1050RS
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 08:12:29 AM »
I actually have remanufactured injectors. 4 pintle instead of single pintle injectors which are pretty new.
Don't blink.
Don't slow.
Just breathe.

Offline kryder

• Realryder
  • ^ Motobrick Curious
  • Ryde ' em when I can.
Seafoam
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 06:28:13 PM »
Seafoam is a product that has been around since the 30's that many swear by. I am a fan. I recently rode my R1100S on a longish trip and started developing a stall after switching on the ignition and giving the S some gas. It got progressivly worse and in a short time was a safety issue, as no one wishes to stall and try a restart in heavy traffic. I suspected a fuel issue and added one half can of seafoam to a full tank of fuel. In short order my dying bucking engine smoothed out and now runs as of yore. The next time I get fuel for my Kryder I'll do the same with it. Seafoam also can be added to the crankcase or fuel intake on automobiles. My point is, if you're experiencing something similar to my situation before you look elsewhere give this product a try.
  • Salida, Colorado and Park City, Utah
  • 1993 K75S
I live west and ski west, I ride east and west and sometimes north and south.

Motos currently owned,  or do these motos own me?
1993 K75S ( the Kryder )
2000 R1100S ( Blackie )
1986 R80RT ( Ole Red ) 1986 R80RT ( Ole Blue )
1994 BMW R1100RS ( Traveler )

Motos I have owned in the past; gone but not forgotten.

1964 Yamaha 55cc YJ1-K ( ringdinger )
1965 Yamaha Santa Barbara 125 ( ringdinger #2 )
1966 Honda CB160
1971 Honda CL350
1973 Yamaha RD350
1987 BMW K75T
1992 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RSL
1978 BMW R100RS

Offline Brad-Man

Re: Seafoam
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 12:05:30 AM »
I bought my stepson a '90 Camry 4 cyl. auto for not much that did not idle well in gear after new plugs, wires and throttle body cleaning.

Did the Seafoam treatment (per directions for cleaning the top end) and it was butter smooth afterwards.

Just sayin'...

I'm sure there are other chemicals/brands out there that require more $ and/or professional labor to provide the same results, and I'm sure there are ignorant and non-mechanically inclined people that will go with these products/take it to a shop.

I'm not one of ''em.
  • Marietta, GA
  • '85 K100
Toys don't make the Man - Man makes the Toys...
'74 RD350
'75 RD350 w/Modified 400 engine, Chambers & MZB iggy

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
Re: Seafoam
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 02:57:10 PM »
I use Seafoam in all my gas engines.  My generator, lawn tractor, boat engines, k-bikes, snowblower, chainsaw.  The longer they sit idle the more they need Seafoam.  Seems like modern gas blends don't age well and varnish out faster than the old school blends.   
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline bizzaro

• co pilot
Techron Concentrate Heads up
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 03:37:22 PM »
So I don't know if it is nationwide, but NAPA is having a great sale on Techron  Concentrate.  I just paid 3.49 for the 12 oz. bottle in Vermont. Not sure how their sales run,(region, nation, state), but that is "cheap". I got four bottles.
  • Vermont
  • Current:1994 BMW K1100LT Previous: 1982 Yamaha virago 920,1973 Honda CB550,1976 Yamaha 650 Special
See Ya in the Twisties,
 Bizz

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
Re: Techron Concentrate Heads up
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 06:05:42 PM »
Thanks for the heads up.  Will have to check my local NAPA store.  The Carquest in town has two 12oz bottles for $10.  Just recently was paying $5.89 for one bottle.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 08:06:08 PM »
Just watched this. The take-away is not good.

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 11:33:02 PM »
Interesting SeaFoam had the best results......
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (R.I.P.)
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

Offline bizzaro

• co pilot
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 08:42:36 PM »
Good to know Tim! Thanks.  I am always suspicious of additive claims.   Love guys that take the time for this kind of testing.  I had never used Techron before reading about it here at motobrick being a great product.  I used to use Sea Foam a lot in another bike, but then read somewhere that it has ethanol in it. IMO the last thing an engine needs is more ethanol!  Both products seem to make my engine run smoother at any rate? And I am back to trying Sea Foam because of Scotts post's.  Like I said. They both seem to make my K run better.  I also use a little Marvel Mystery Oil now and again. 
  • Vermont
  • Current:1994 BMW K1100LT Previous: 1982 Yamaha virago 920,1973 Honda CB550,1976 Yamaha 650 Special
See Ya in the Twisties,
 Bizz

Offline richarddacat

Techron Concentrate Heads up
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 08:44:16 PM »
Just watched this. The take-away is not good.

Thanks, always preferred this stuff but looks like it's another snake oil.

Makes me wonder if these fuel stabilizers actually work. I always try to run my lawn equipment empty but add something to the bikes.
loud pipes annoy people, well designed helmets save lives.

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 08:49:23 PM »
I suspect the YouTuber's results might have more to do with the application than the formula.

The whole can of Seafoam gets burned in five minutes while the bottle of Techron added to the tank takes hours.

That's not really an excuse though.

Results might be different on motorcycles too since I bet out engines run hotter. Makes me want to get a borescope camera and check out my pistons.

Offline orforester

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 10:26:58 PM »
I think I use Techron more to clean out the injectors, not the carbon build up?  I know it runs better after a shot of the stuff.

As far as Sea Foam, I ride with a Carb bike guy and he has some troubles in the past, a can of sea foam clears it up?  Could it just be a better tank of gas, maybe, but I know if you leave it in a Carb, it is clearly more shiny afterwords! 

Seat of the pants, and it don't hurt!
Bob
Bob
1989 K 100 RS se (SOLD)
1985 K 100 RS, now RT
1979 XS 650 Yamaha Street Tracker
2008 R 1200RT

Tags: