Author Topic: Aren't you a little short for a Storm Trooper?  (Read 13905 times)

Offline JcJ TN K75s

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Aren't you a little short for a Storm Trooper?
« on: April 13, 2015, 11:29:26 PM »
So a couple years ago I bought a '93 K75S w 31,6XX that had been rode-hard-and-put-up-wet, with intentions of remaking an adventure bike out of it, inspired by the pics I was seeing here and elsewhere (but especially here).  It had once been Pearl White, and when I got it, it had been crashed, and the front fairing was pretty much wrecked and the lower parts and belly pan gone to Beemer Valhalla.

The speedo worked when it felt like it, and the ABS was kaput.  I did a 24K and clutch spline inspection.

As I planned and familiarized myself with the bike, I used it as a bar hopper, and run-to-the-corner-store bike. I didn't have any buddies with Adventure bikes, so my enthusiam would come and go. 

I rode for a while with no gauges at all, and mostly rode her on little hops of less than thirty miles.  Usually without cases.  I began to see visions of cafe racers.  This site gave me lots of temptations that direction.  During this time I replaced the cooling fan with one from Drake. That was the only failure, and I think it cost about $85 to fix.  Then over the winter, my sister's significant other got a steal on a low-miles 2012 Honda NC700X that was already tricked out, when the Hardly Ableson dealer he finances for took it on trade. So my priorities returned to an ADV bike.  And here we are now, on our way to a 'K75GS'-of-sorts.

Progressive 412 rear shock (not shown in pics), Shinko 705 dual sport rear tire with IRC heavy duty tube*, Dominator dual 4" headlights (on double throw switch and relay) and flyscreen on GoldWing brackets mounted above the Drag Specialties headlight and brackets I'd been using for a while, added fan relay switch, added hazard flasher switch, Danmoto Nano speedo/tach/indicators, Autometer trans temp gauge (sender on final drive, with low-profile sender enroute for transmission, and I will fix toggle switch to use either sender on same gauge) and a little homemade dash out of the same material as radiator screen (visible in head-on shot and pre-flyscreen shot with lights on). The trans temp gauge thing is probably silly, but once I get good base line temps established, I hope they at least give me a little added confidence in a 25 year old bike when I start to go a couple hundred miles from home, and maybe some early warning about any future issues. Danmoto just had one red warning light, it has my overtemp and oil pressure warnings wired to it. My bike has been clutch-kill-overrode since I got it (its a grown up's bike), and I wired the neutral indicator green light up to my fuel warning, since that's all I got with an S. It has a blue high beam indicator. It also has turn yellow signal indicators.  I guess I could wire both signals to one indicator and still have one yellow indicator light. I may do that in the future, and separate the overheat and oil pressure warnings. I cut up an old "John Deere" tag that used to be on the front of my truck and made a bugshield between the forks behind the bottom headlight, and below the top ones, to protect the wiring and front of the tank.

Did ANOTHER full fluid/filter change (had been two years and >4000 miles), all brake pads and final drive spline lube with new back tire. Removed back pegs, ABS modulators and computer, repainted bags with rattle can textured plastic paint.  Plan to do front shock and front tire (also 705)and front bearings** before my birthday (May). I need to get stainless steel brake lines made for the front also, as I still have the ABS soft lines on it, and its alot of useless hose. I'd also like to find some rock guards for the headlights, preferably black.  I am trying to get up the courage to order one for the 5 3/4" light and just 'make it fit'.

I'll be posting some pics from some rides, as we both now have Thor's Day off, and I will be using the opportunity to field test. :bmwsmile  I live in the country, where nearly all the roads are paved asphalt, but a few (that I don't HAVE to drive on) are packed gravel and lime. We rode last week and I was happy with how my bike kept up, and its comfort at the speeds we keep.

I think one of the blue "two-up" factory-style seats on ebay would look good and be easier to strap a watertight rollbag to than the "solo saddle" that I have now, and which also needs recovering. At some point that crease in the right side of the tank might get slide hammered out, or I might find a RT tank and just replace it with the higher-cap tank.  The white is growing on me (especially if I get the blue seat) though I might go with a flatter white if I repaint it. I've used parts that were economically priced.  I know I could've gotten a better shock, but I like this one for the money. So far. I am getting really close to $2500 in this project: bike, riding gear, parts, tags, insurance, beemer boneyard maint kits, premium fluids, everything but my time and gas and some scavenged free parts from past/future projects. 
Comments welcome and appreciated on anything you've seen or heard in this post. Not much of a "build", but its what I've done. Thanks for looking.

*So the guy at the local Honda shop who mounted the tire acted like I was making a mistake going this route instead of a tubeless. I am about to do the front tire. Any advice? Planning to stick with the stock front mag wheel for the time being.
**Anything else I should do while I'm doing these?

• Lincoln, TN 37334
  • 1993 K75S? "Stormtrooper" 1999 R1100RTP "Lord Vader"
I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.- Mark Twain

It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.-
Mark Twain

Offline billday

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Aren't you a little short for a Storm Trooper?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 08:56:02 AM »
Nice project, thanks for the writeup and pics.

You might be able to get some money for that saddle, or a favorable trade.

Bill
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline JcJ TN K75s

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 09:19:15 PM »
Today I was doing my usual thing and I ran across this:
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/mcy/4975496967.html

Have spoken with CO. He sent me pics of tires and final drive and drive shaft splines from 3/23. I am pretty satisfied to pay my offer, which he has accepted, and which is roughly 15% off asking price.  Just wondering about the thoughts of more experienced motobrickers.  I hope to add "Lord Vader" as the stormtroopers big sister by next week. If anyone has any objection, speak now, or forever hold your peace.

edit: I bought a '99 R1100RTP from a local owner w 75K on the clock. This doesn't mean I won't still add another K, and maybe even the same one I was looking at earlier, if I can ever get loose and get to South Atlanta and somebody don't beat me to it. So don't throw me to the owstritches just yet.
  • Lincoln, TN 37334
I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.- Mark Twain

It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.-
Mark Twain

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 09:23:35 PM »
greetings...

im holding my piece...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline JcJ TN K75s

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 06:08:25 PM »
Anyone want to be the first to tell me why this was a bad idea?  I couldn't bring myself to pay $70 for quick disconnects, but with this set up I can shutoff the fuel line, (crank the bike and let it die if it wasn't running) hit that squeeze clamp on the bottom of the valve with my folding pliers from the tankbag, hit the squeeze clamp on the top of the return hose and pull the fuel tank off while only losing a few drops of gas. It cost about $8. I see some increased chances of failure where the hoses connect, and maybe a little added stress on the fuel rail connect, though its a pretty gentle bend that sweeps up to the bottom of the valve. I guess its also possible that I am adding some backpressure to the fuel pump that could increase wear.

Is there some reason that I don't see this done elsewhere? It seemed really simple, but now it seems too simple, and I'm afraid I overlooked something.

edit:
also my rtv'd side marker turn signal looks like poop.  How come I never notice stuff like that until I see it in a photo?
  • Lincoln, TN 37334

Mark Twain

Offline Novafrk

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 06:59:20 PM »
What made you decide that it needed a valve there? If you remove the hoses from the tank you only lose a few drops of fuel also.
88 K75S - My red headed mistress. Shhhh.

Offline gazman

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 08:10:39 PM »
      Inconspicuous fuel shut off to thwart thieves?
  • west australia
  • 93 K1100LT

Offline JcJ TN K75s

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 08:45:33 PM »
What made you decide that it needed a valve there? If you remove the hoses from the tank you only lose a few drops of fuel also.

If you shut off the bike and wait thirty minutes or so THEN you can disconnect the hoses and only lose a few drops.  If you shut down the bike, grab your screwdriver (or pliers) and pull the hoses off, the one going to the fuel rail will not just shed half a pint or so of gas, it'll spray it on you and the engine block as soon as the hose starts to come off. 

My motivation was in not making four other bikes wait on the side of the road for my fuel pressure to bleed off, or listening to four other riders ask me why they don't get sprayed with gas when they pull the tanks on their Yamaha/Suzuki/Honda/Triumph/Harley.   :neener: Or never hearing the end of how one of my bikes burned up on the road that time. :hehehe. Or just saying "fuck it, ya'll go ahead, I'll catch up." :musicboohoo:  I haven't had to pull the tank in mixed company before, but I'd like it to not end in disaster when i have to at some point. 
And I'm too stingy to pay $70 for q/d's like lots of other riders, if i can build a solution at the ag supply store for a tenth of that.
  • Lincoln, TN 37334

Mark Twain

Offline JcJ TN K75s

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 09:00:03 PM »

Actually, that's part of it.  My "ignition" is currently a toggle switch because last week I lost my keys at an event my friend had organized.  Damn gloves.  I finally hotwired my bike and came home about midnight, and she called the next day and said she found them. But I haven't retrieved them and wired the ignition back in yet. So a fuel shutoff is just one more lever to have to throw before the bike will run.  Mine, however is not too "Inconspicuous"   I guess I figure if you know what you're looking at then

a.) you know its not worth stealing   
and/or   
b.) you could hotwire it in two minutes just like I did anyway.

But it might thwart a drunk, and make what would've been a litigious disaster into a bike dropped on its side.
  • Lincoln, TN 37334

Mark Twain

Offline JcJ TN K75s

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 09:01:02 PM »

Actually, that's part of it.  My "ignition" is currently a toggle switch because last week I lost my keys at an event my friend had organized.  Damn gloves.  I finally hotwired my bike and came home about midnight, and she called the next day and said she found them. But I haven't retrieved them and wired the ignition back in yet. So a fuel shutoff is just one more lever to have to throw before the bike will run.  Mine, however is not too "Inconspicuous" :dunno2:  I guess I figure if you know what you're looking at then

a.) you know its not worth stealing   
and/or   
b.) you could hotwire it in two minutes just like I did anyway.

But it might thwart a drunk, and make what would've been a litigious disaster into a bike dropped on its side.
  • Lincoln, TN 37334

Mark Twain

Offline JcJ TN K75s

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 09:01:44 PM »
sorry
  • Lincoln, TN 37334

Mark Twain

Offline Novafrk

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 09:14:13 PM »
wow. ok  :2thumbup:
88 K75S - My red headed mistress. Shhhh.

Offline JcJ TN K75s

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 09:38:42 PM »
wow. ok  :2thumbup:

don't you mean "OK!!"?! :yow

I can see how its not really a problem until the bike is on fire for some folks.
Its also exactly the kind of situation that I carry a fire extinguisher for (I'm in the process of fabbing up some good ol' Appalachian Engineered mounts where the ABS modulators went, pics to follow), but I'd prefer to keep the "onboard fire RETARDant system" tests to a low roar until I get me some of that Nomex to go with all this Kevlar.  :deal:  If I (or the gods) decide to test it before then, you can bet that those four or five aforementioned assholes will provide you with video footage hosted at YouTube.

:2thumbup:
  • Lincoln, TN 37334

Mark Twain

Offline JcJ TN K75s

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 07:55:43 PM »
I bought a set of these "Ghost Lights" off a chinese seller on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Specific-Courtesy-projector-Baseball-LEMONBEST/dp/B00GSNAS1Y/ref=pd_ys_sf_s_rp_a1_4_p?ie=UTF8&refRID=0M6786WZG71CETH8B126

They are supposed to be accent lights that come on when you open the door to a car.  I wired mine to the tail light, so it comes on with the switch.  Its mounted to the center stand using worm gear clamps like some folks do with ignition switches near the aircleaner.

I didn't get a free baseball cap though, like the ad says. :musicboohoo:

• Lincoln, TN 37334

Mark Twain

Offline JcJ TN K75s

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 10:49:08 PM »

A few shots from some evening rides lately.
  • Lincoln, TN 37334

Mark Twain

Offline JcJ TN K75s

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 11:29:55 PM »

Plays hard, works hard.
  • Lincoln, TN 37334

Mark Twain

Offline JcJ TN K75s

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 08:25:26 PM »
Still a good lookin' bike behind all that storage.

• Lincoln, TN 37334

Mark Twain

Offline HuckItForward

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 06:22:09 PM »
Is there an overflow check valve in the pump?

I would be afraid that running the pump without the pressure regulator in the mix seems like it could be very bad for the pump if you eliminate a place for the fuel to go.
  • Flushing, MI
  • '92 K75s
K75s w/ABS 16k miles
Bought it to save from being parted out, hoping to sell it onto someone who's looking for it specifically.

Offline JcJ TN K75s

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2015, 09:51:18 AM »
There is not a check valve and you're no doubt correct that running the pump with the valve closed could (and probably does) put excess wear on the pump. But I don't make a habit of spinning the starter with the valve closed. Its just for roadside emergency tank pulls (haven't had to do one) and for extra security when parking in a suspect spot.
I have worried that just the fittings alone might cause some restriction=pressure=wear, but so far so good, 3500+ miles later.
  • Lincoln, TN 37334

Mark Twain

Offline herseyb

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2015, 10:07:28 AM »
The front tior looks so smooth compared to the (still modestly lugged) rear - how did it handle in all that muck?
  • Brooklyn
  • '93 K1100RS

Offline JcJ TN K75s

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2015, 01:26:34 PM »
Not well at all. Its still a similar setup, that Bridgestone got a lot slicker, then got replaced by a Shinko 230. I was gonna run a 705 upfront on it, too, but since 90%+ of my riding is asphalt, I couldn't really justify the increase in buzz and decrease in mileage. So far I dig the 230 Tour Master a lot. Still running the 705 on the rear. Maybe it'll last till next spring. Probably so. I just got my oilhead RT out and almost have it ready to go, and I ride it more in the winter, and the flyscreen K in the summer.
  • Lincoln, TN 37334

Mark Twain

Tags: