Author Topic: arrrghhhh broken valve cover bolt  (Read 386 times)

Offline foliver

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
arrrghhhh broken valve cover bolt
« on: February 10, 2024, 06:19:45 PM »
Hello, good evening, today I had a bad end in a maintenance of the K75.

Replace all exterior fuel hoses, thermostat and cover, and valve cover gasket.

The rubber parts of the screws were new but the screws were not......and one of them broke!

I haven't taken it out of position, but it spins endlessly. I assume its broke, but i need to say i didn't arrive to the torque wrench value, may be is not too tight in the engine....

I turned the bike on for only 1 minute, but I want to leave it to wait for the joint sealant to dry.
The screw that broke is marked in the photo.

What hope do I have that it stays like this without losing oil?

Do I have to take everything apart, buy new screws and doi it again? I know ......the answer is yes....dahmm
  • Montevideo, Uruguay
  • Bmw K75C 86

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: arrrghhhh broken valve cover bolt
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2024, 11:32:14 PM »
I haven't taken it out of position, but it spins endlessly. I assume its broke, but i need to say i didn't arrive to the torque wrench value,
Endlessly is a long, long time. It is either broken or the threads in the head have been stripped.  177381 Remove the cover and find out what is happening there. That could be a challenge so be patient and thoughtful. Is there a stub on the screw shank you can use to remove the shank with pliers, or have you stripped the threads from within the screw hole and will need to install a thread insert? You can reuse the screws and rubber rings.

You won't know if it will leak as it is now until you try running it, but it would have been a better tactic to have let the sealant cure fully before starting for that minute.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline foliver

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 09:16:06 AM »
Hi, Laitch!

As you name, i guess i've stripped the threads, as i felt, a little resistance, then without a "sudden change in force" the bolt turns with no end..

So, i read this morning about threads inserts, seems doable with calm, and taking care not to avoid aluminium material fall into the engine.

Seems that Time-sert is the best solution, but 100$!

Someone has tried HHIP or Heli coil ? an interesting comparison video is online:

Any coments are apreciated
  • Montevideo, Uruguay
  • Bmw K75C 86

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 10:51:38 AM »
Project Farm.  112350 I like how fast he speaks and how cheerful he is. His attitude helps during times of repair stress.  :laughing4-giggles:
I've only done a thread repair like yours once. Heli-Coil was recommended to me by a guy with a lot of experience. I bought a kit and followed its directions scrupulously. Success! I recommend it because it worked for me, and because you can use the money you saved buying it to buy fuel instead.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline foliver

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2024, 12:26:10 PM »
Thanks Laitch!
yours is a good new, difference in price is high..

IF my k75, didn't drip oil, without a working bolt, it's advisable not to ride it cause may be i bent the valve cover, or can I drive it while the spare parts arrive from the USA to Uruguay?

mmmmmm
  • Montevideo, Uruguay
  • Bmw K75C 86

Offline Duckbubbles

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2024, 01:29:48 PM »
If the bolt is broken, you can probably remove it with some vise grips onto the hex head of the bolt.  if it is stripped you can probably remove it with the vise grips unscrewing it with some outward pressure.

Frank
  • Austin, Texas USA
  • 1985 K100/1100RS
'85 K100/1100RS 38 years, 331,000 mi.
'23 R1250RS
'03 R1100S BCR #6/200
500,000+ BMW miles

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2024, 02:28:03 PM »
Does it leak without the bolt?  If not I'd ignore it, not a real critical part.  May leak into the spark plug cavity, check by leaving the "BMW" plug cover off.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2024, 06:45:46 PM »
For a temporary fix I would just clean the hole in the cover with rubbing alcohol and put a dab of silicone caulk in the hole.  Let it cure over night.  Not a permanent fix, but might make the bike usable until the parts arrive.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline foliver

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2024, 02:32:02 PM »
Hello!.
Well after the sealant cures, yesterday i run the bike ( 2 up with my son, first ride) in the city, at 31degrees ( 87,8F) for half an hour, with some short peaks of acceleration.
All went ok, and i've had no leaks, neither with the engine hot nor after cooling.
So all seems ok, i i assume i can ride it.
I've not looked into the plug area, behind the bmw sign...i wll.
And, i've not removed the bolt yet, because tomorrow i need to go at 100km from home, and i want to do it in the bike , and i'm afraid  that if i remove the bolt it will leak from the screw hole......
  • Montevideo, Uruguay
  • Bmw K75C 86

Tags: