Author Topic: Throttle sync flavours  (Read 175 times)

Offline matjas

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Throttle sync flavours
« on: March 27, 2024, 10:12:53 AM »
Hi.
Has anybody gone to trouble of syncing the throttle bodies at higher revs than just idle for which the manual calls for?
I have obtained pretty flat reading across all four jugs at idle but at 3krpm it was really out of whack.
Common sense would suggest we need to be synced where we spend most of our time and this is not idle.

By tweaking the screws with fan in front of the bike I finally arrived at something that could be called a sweet compromise between the idle and higher revs.

I am now at factory spec in all 16 valves and with this setting the smoooooth point has shifted from 120 down to 105kmh so this is really welcome. My idle is a little bit higher when hot than what I would like but this can be tweaked further.

Are YOU just sticking with the idle setup or also going into trouble of trying to fix the higher rpm registers?
  • Poland
  • K1100LT

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Throttle sync flavours
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 11:14:40 AM »
I've have not considered that the revs on my Brick needed fixing in the higher rev ranges. That could be because I verified there were no air leaks among the rubber intake components and I cleaned the air adjustment screws and ports before synching the throttle bodies, or it could be just the nature of my particular Brick or K75 models in general. It is also likely that my riding senses are not refined enough to detect performance differences among rev ranges. That's okay by me. It averages 50 miles per gallon of fuel, gets me where I want to go, and I can still pick it up if I drop it while bird watching at a stop sign; that's all I care about.
 :laughing4-giggles:
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2024, 10:29:46 PM »
Personally I would think that with the butterflies open more than idle, the brass air flow adjusters would have little to no effect.
They are supposed to let air flow around the butterfly plate when it's closed, IE at idle.
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (R.I.P.)
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

Offline matjas

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 03:21:14 AM »
If that was correct there would be no effect of adjustment at 3krpm.
I am not saying I am right here but the bike is running very good except the slightly highish idle plus smell of petrol - I wonder if this might have something in common with the adjustment of the TB up high.

• Poland
  • K1100LT

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2024, 08:52:49 AM »
. . . the bike is running very good except the slightly highish idle plus smell of petrol . . .
Those damnable exceptions.  177381 Before doing the throttle body synch, did you lightly spray propane, Mapp, or carburetor cleaner on the throttle body manifolds at the cylinder head for leaks while the engine was running? When you were synching the throttle bodies at idle using the air bypass screws, were all screws fairly close to being turned out the same amount or did one screw need much more adjustment than the others?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline matjas

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2024, 12:31:54 PM »
I will check the running in idle with propane.
In fact one of the screws needed a bit more turning!

And … upon looking at the injectors i discovered something that looks like a fracture in the rubber under the 2nd TB FECK!
You might be onto something Laitch.
  • Poland
  • K1100LT

Tags: