Author Topic: Getting exhaust pipes back iniitooexhaust ports on K100  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Wirelic

• Motobrick Curious
Getting exhaust pipes back iniitooexhaust ports on K100
« on: April 27, 2021, 10:01:36 AM »
Hello,

I have been struggling some to get all 4 exhaust pipes into the respective exhaust ports and seated properly.  The first 3 do great but cylinder number 4 pipe doesn’t seem to seat properly.  So, with the great knowledge base we have here, does anyone have any suggestions that will help? 
I have cleaned up the end of the header pipes with a brass wire wheel, have new copper crush seals inside the ports, held in with grease and I’ve lubed the pipes with copper anti-seize.    Thanks very much in advance for your help.
  • Green Bay, WI
  • 88 K75, 77 Bonneville

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Getting exhaust pipes back iniitooexhaust ports on K100
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 10:28:29 AM »
Your profile beneath the reply box states you have a K75. How'd you get involved with the K100—indebtedness, friendship or love?  :laughing4-giggles:
The pipes should be installed into their individual ports and loosely clamped. The muffler is installed on the pipes, supported and loosely clamped. The pipe are tightened incrementally to their ports. Finish by tightening the muffler clamps.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 10:41:38 AM »
K100 header pipes are a PITA to get back into the exhaust can.  Install the headers to the head first. Leave the nuts for the header collars fairly loose. This gives you some play in the headers in order to get the exhaust can to slide onto all four headers.

In the future if you need to remove the exhaust (like for a spline lube, rear main seal or clutch work) don't mess with the header to exhaust can clamps. Just remove the exhaust and headers as one unit. This will make it much easier to put things back together.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Wirelic

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 11:09:45 AM »
Thank you.  I did remove the headers and exhaust as one unti attached still to the footpeg bracket.  Cylinders 1, 2 and 3 pipes dropped right in place but #4 is not cooperating. 
  • Green Bay, WI
  • 88 K75, 77 Bonneville

Tags: