Author Topic: Throttle slack once parked after perfect ride?  (Read 1681 times)

Offline Brahma

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: Throttle slack once parked after perfect ride?
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2023, 07:32:58 PM »
The German version of that manual was written in 1982. How do you know the age and experience of the authors and engineers who wrote it?

If you've been around so long then you should know that cold starts cause a majority of engine wear.

What possible benefit is there from idling a vehicle for 20-30 minutes every two months?

It takes that long to warm up and confirm the fan comes on.  Also, it's common sense guys when you please consider that ludicrous advice when it has spent nearly forty years in hot, gridlocked, Florida summer traffic idling happily.  Twenty minutes on a center stand is basically nothing. I wouldn't own a water-cooled bike that couldn't idle for 20 minutes- if such a bike ever existed.

1985 K100RT (First bike, still own)
2006 R1200GS (Recorded Iron Butt Ride- Sold)
2006 K1200GT  (Sold)
2011 R1200GS Triple Black (Sold)

Offline Brahma

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2023, 07:45:04 PM »
*** Update- wrenching as parts come in and life allows.

* I've changed the temp sensor and same symptom. Have to crank wide open to start, then runs normally. (Hate doing that, for sure)
* Against all advice, let it idle for twenty measly minutes as if it were in yet another Florida summer gridlock to confirm fan comes on, which means the sensor is working.
* Bike didn't blow up after idling for twenty minutes, as expected.
* I understand some people are removing their TPS entirely, so I don't know why that would be the culprit but ordered one anyway.  Not here yet
* Ordered and obtained a fuel pressure regulator, but that can't be it.

Common sense replies are welcome!

Thanks-

B

1985 K100RT (First bike, still own)
2006 R1200GS (Recorded Iron Butt Ride- Sold)
2006 K1200GT  (Sold)
2011 R1200GS Triple Black (Sold)

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2023, 10:19:04 AM »
If the injector in one or more cylinders is stuck open, the starting fuel mixture could be unbalanced. Opening the throttle brings more air to the mixture and maybe that allows the mixture to ignite.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline daveson

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2023, 05:49:18 PM »
Um, Brahma, we're just trying to help you here, even if some of our guesses are wrong, we still deserve a little bit of credit for a genuine effort. Nobody is saying you can't idle it to warm it up from cold, or that it will blow up, just that it's not good, even BMW says that. Nobody likes getting stuck in traffic jams, not the rider nor the bike,  but sometimes we just have to put up with it.

I think a part of BMW's reasoning is that with a cold engine, the clearances are excessive, which adds to wear, so you want to get it to normal operating temperature quickly, therefore ride it, don't idle a cold engine for long. In a traffic jam, the engine is warm, so not as bad.

I don't think that BMW tip is ludicrous, and I think it is common sense, don't you?

Anyways, back on topic, there's a few suggestions you haven't tried yet, for example did you try the easy test from Martin, which might show if your brick has a messed up air/fuel ratio?
  • Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'85 K100RT~100,000km; four other bricks. Past; 1500 Vulcan, V Star 650, KLX 250(dirt bike) TT250(dirt bike)

Tags: