Author Topic: Found, Clutch boot leaking. 87 K75C  (Read 19658 times)

Offline trek97

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • The Anti-Cafe racer
Re: Found, Clutch boot leaking. 87 K75C
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2016, 08:48:09 AM »
Where is this o-ring located?

All the pics of the thing kinda stink.  But maybe where the rod meets the diaphragm spring? 

Ive read 3 manuals and still its not super clear to me.  How the trany oil gets on the rod OR what stops the oil from getting on the disk???

#11 on the Clutch pic.
http://store.bobsbmw.com/microfiche/BrowseParts.aspx?GroupName=Clutch&MBike=51741&GroupID=21
  • Illinois
  • 87 K75C

Offline trek97

• The Anti-Cafe racer
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2016, 09:02:44 AM »
To me it kinda looks like the rod runs through the transmission input shaft?  which has seals on both ends.
  • Illinois
  • 87 K75C

Offline Inge K.

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2016, 09:20:08 AM »
#11 on the Clutch pic.

That prevents motor oil from reaching the clutch. ...becomes brittle after some years, ...and start to leak.
  • Norway

Offline Inge K.

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2016, 09:22:30 AM »
To me it kinda looks like the rod runs through the transmission input shaft?  which has seals on both ends.

The pushrod goes through the input shaft, but it's only a seal in the rearmost end, between the shaft and rod.
  • Norway

Offline trek97

• The Anti-Cafe racer
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2016, 01:39:02 PM »
That prevents motor oil from reaching the clutch. ...becomes brittle after some years, ...and start to leak.

The pushrod goes through the input shaft, but it's only a seal in the rearmost end, between the shaft and rod.

Ok cool and thanks.  Well, thank goodness its not MOTOR OIL leaking out.  Definitely smells and consistency of 90wt.

The good news...atleast the oil shes leaking is clean.  Arrgh.

The bad news...Adjusting the clutch has definitley slowed the leak by about 90%.  But not cured it.

So, I will see about pulling it apart this winter and fixing it then. 

I want to get through this maintenance/clean up and go for a ride before the snow flies!!!

Thanks for all the help Inge K and the rest of ya'll.

The rest of my goings on is over here...

http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,9050.msg71598.html#msg71598
  • Illinois
  • 87 K75C

Offline Inge K.

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2016, 02:01:59 PM »
The good news...atleast the oil shes leaking is clean.  Arrgh.

The bad news...Adjusting the clutch has definitley slowed the leak by about 90%.  But not cured it.

Maybe a good cleaning of the surfaces between the boot and the arm is all that is needed....
only a few small particles would be enough to start a leak.
It is two or three circular ridges on the boot to aid the sealing.

Is the oil level in the gearbox correct .....?....it should be much lower than the shafts.
  • Norway

Offline trek97

• The Anti-Cafe racer
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2016, 03:25:45 PM »
Maybe a good cleaning of the surfaces between the boot and the arm is all that is needed....
only a few small particles would be enough to start a leak.
It is two or three circular ridges on the boot to aid the sealing.

Is the oil level in the gearbox correct .....?....it should be much lower than the shafts.

Fingers crossed, a good cleaning and a dollop of rtv is all it needs.  there was a bunch of sandy small gravel bits up in there.

Havent got to the gear box yet. Need to make a dipstick, as she didnt come w tool kit.  Bike is still on the jack.  Working on scrubbing the swinger and getting it buttoned up.  Ready for oil, tire and brake adj.
  • Illinois
  • 87 K75C

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2016, 05:06:54 PM »
Need to make a dipstick, as she didnt come w tool kit. 
Information in a few posts here.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2016, 08:35:12 PM »
One comment regarding the clutch boot leak and the clutch cable adjustment.  On my '94 K75RT, when the clutch was adjusted for the 75mm free length at the end of the cable it allowed the arm to ever so lightly contact the muffler.  This resulted in an intermittent clanking at about 2000 rpm and above which was really annoying and took quite a while to locate.   Be aware that this is not an issue on all K75 bikes, as my S model does not have the problem, and yours may not have it either.  I'm only tossing this out as something you might want to check.

To see if you will have an issue here, pull the clutch lever all the way in and let it snap out.  If you can hear the arm hit the muffler, shorten the free length slightly.  It only took about 2mm for an adjusted length of 73mm instead of the 75mm specification to stop the noise on my bike combined with a bit of tweaking on the muffler mount to eliminate the clank. 

If you don't want to shorten the cable's free length, I suppose you can take a hammer and put a shallow dent in the muffler where the arm hits it. 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline trek97

• The Anti-Cafe racer
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2016, 09:22:55 PM »
One comment regarding the clutch boot leak and the clutch cable adjustment.  On my '94 K75RT, when the clutch was adjusted for the 75mm free length at the end of the cable it allowed the arm to ever so lightly contact the muffler.  This resulted in an intermittent clanking at about 2000 rpm and above which was really annoying and took quite a while to locate.   Be aware that this is not an issue on all K75 bikes, as my S model does not have the problem, and yours may not have it either.  I'm only tossing this out as something you might want to check.

To see if you will have an issue here, pull the clutch lever all the way in and let it snap out.  If you can hear the arm hit the muffler, shorten the free length slightly.  It only took about 2mm for an adjusted length of 73mm instead of the 75mm specification to stop the noise on my bike combined with a bit of tweaking on the muffler mount to eliminate the clank. 

If you don't want to shorten the cable's free length, I suppose you can take a hammer and put a shallow dent in the muffler where the arm hits it.

Thanks and just checked it.  Mines not even close.  I can squeeze my pinky finger tip in between there. 
  • Illinois
  • 87 K75C

Tags: