Author Topic: Problem having a spare ignition key cut for my 1991 K 75 RT  (Read 677 times)

Offline xcaret

• Motobrick Curious
When I bought my bike it came with extra keys , but only one cut for the ignition. The second ignition key was a blank . I took it to get cut and it doesnt work. The locksmith said he was unable to order another blank , and said there would be no charge for cutting the key ( which he cut wrong ) .
Can I order a key already cut from anywhere ? 
Where can I order a blank key in Canada ?

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Problem having a spare ignition key cut for my 1991 K 75 RT
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2023, 04:19:48 PM »
Go to a real locksmith(not Canadian Tire or the local hardware store) with your good key.  I would ride my bike to the locksmith so I can do an instant test with the new one.

I have a K100RS key made from an Ilco blank.  The numbers stamped into the blank are VO6  V77.  I believe there are other blanks that will work as well.  A well stocked locksmith should have the blank you need. 

The factory BMW blanks are a hardened steel that are used for among other purposes bank safe deposit boxes.  According to several locksmiths that I tried to get to cut one of those blanks, they require a special carbide cutter.  I suspect the reason they use that steel is to discourage copying because, as I was told, those keys are for special security applications.  One locksmith told me he only cuts those keys when they are ordered by banks and government agencies.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2023, 05:01:03 PM »
JMA NE-8 or NE-7. NE-7 is a STEEL key, not nickel coated brass like many keys. You can't get that cut at a hardware store usually because you need a carbide key cutter which even some locksmiths don't have these days. NE-8 is brass.

Ilco SR61N is a good brass key for K bikes. Ilco Y16 also works but is a bit longer than the SR61N.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline John Lang

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • John Lang
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 05:49:09 PM »
My bike came with 4 extra keys marked Neiman on one side, GKS and Germany on the other. Very ordinary keys. They look like they would fit a padlock.
  • Ottawa, ON Canada
  • 1987 K75C

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 06:02:14 PM »
My bike came with 4 extra keys marked Neiman on one side, GKS and Germany on the other. Very ordinary keys. They look like they would fit a padlock.

Those are also steel keys. That's what BMW dealers sell for the low, low price of only $26 a piece.

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/PartsSearch.aspx?&searchtype=undefined&parts=51251233554%0A
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline stokester

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 10:09:47 PM »
Those are also steel keys. That's what BMW dealers sell for the low, low price of only $26 a piece.

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/PartsSearch.aspx?&searchtype=undefined&parts=51251233554%0A
The dealership I use, Morton's in Fredericksburg VA, has both flat and folding keys.
Yes, they cost much more than the hardware store copies but it includes the cutting and will work for a very long time.
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Tags: