Author Topic: K100 CAFE FIGHTER  (Read 115188 times)

Offline Filmcamera

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: K100 CAFE FIGHTER
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2017, 06:27:40 AM »
Have you considered going with Evans Waterless coolant meaning you could get rid of the expansion tank altogether?
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline Boxermann

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2017, 06:34:27 AM »
Have you considered going with Evans Waterless coolant meaning you could get rid of the expansion tank altogether?

Oooh.. Interesting! Did not know there was such a thing. Did some quick reading and it seems to be good stuff. Thanks!

EDIT: Just ordered 5 liters.  :clap:
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2017, 05:13:51 PM »
Exhaust and muffler painted and installed. 4-1 is from cafe4racer.eu. Muffler from eBay. It had a fake carbon look originally so I removed that. Also removed the mount and the riveted strips and welded up the holes.

• Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline nods

• Sydney, Australia
  • Motobrick Curious
  • 1985 K100 RT
« Reply #128 on: May 17, 2017, 05:19:10 PM »
Top idea thanks! I've been using Evans for a couple of years in my Triumph and didn't even think about the fact that it doesn't expand 👍

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

• Sydney Australia
  • 1985 K100 RT

Offline duckytran

« Reply #129 on: May 17, 2017, 05:20:58 PM »
Looking great! Is your battery located inside the seat cowl?

• Austin, Texas
  • 1993 K75, 1981 R65

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2017, 07:08:49 PM »
Looking great! Is your battery located inside the seat cowl?

Thanks!

No, it is here. I have the ECU in the cowl.

• Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline duckytran

« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2017, 09:53:13 PM »
Very cool! I have not seen it done this way.
  • Austin, Texas
  • 1993 K75, 1981 R65

Offline MaraudeRS

« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2017, 11:39:48 PM »
Thanks!

No, it is here. I have the ECU in the cowl.

Very nicely done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Monterey, CA
  • 1992 K100RS

Offline Arredondo1

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #133 on: May 19, 2017, 02:15:45 AM »
 Awesome build so far! Can you elaborate on how you set up the footpegs? I would like something similar to get rid of the stock brackets.
  • Texas
  • 1988 K75C vin 138518, 1990 K100LT Vin 181145

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #134 on: May 19, 2017, 05:21:48 AM »
Awesome build so far! Can you elaborate on how you set up the footpegs? I would like something similar to get rid of the stock brackets.

Thanks! There are some pictures here: http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,9158.msg77783.html#msg77783 and here: http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,9158.msg78053.html#msg78053

The pedals and pegs are from an universal rearset: http://www.caferacerwebshop.com/en/universal-alloy-rearset-black-type-1.html

• Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Hank

• Curious
« Reply #135 on: May 21, 2017, 12:54:46 PM »
It's really great to see this build come along. I want to build mine out once I can get together all the parts I need. I saw that you're using the new Motogadget bluetooth unit and the MaruLabs Magic Box 3.0.

Can you tell us how or which other relays you're using? I'm assuming one is for the radiator fan.

Thanks!
  • California
  • 1988 K100

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2017, 05:23:16 AM »
It's really great to see this build come along. I want to build mine out once I can get together all the parts I need. I saw that you're using the new Motogadget bluetooth unit and the MaruLabs Magic Box 3.0.

Can you tell us how or which other relays you're using? I'm assuming one is for the radiator fan.

Thanks!

Glad to hear. I hope you start a thread here when you start building.

In addition to the m.unit and BEP I'm using the original starter relay, fuel injection relay and temperature sensing switch unit.

Here is a wiring diagram (thanks to Zachary Ross at k100-forum) which may help. It's for a m.unit v2 but the wiring is mostly the same with the m.unit blue except that at the blue has a separate starter output, an extra AUX in/out and a kill switch input. Also a stand input if you want to use that. It actually has a built in starter relay, but it is only 30A and thus a little weak for a K. I think the stock relay has a 75A rating.

• Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline alex-wilson

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2017, 09:00:46 AM »

Oooh.. Interesting! Did not know there was such a thing. Did some quick reading and it seems to be good stuff. Thanks!

EDIT: Just ordered 5 liters.  :clap:

Hi Boxermann

Have you spotted this on Evans site?:
"Evans waterless coolants expand 7% at operating temperature, about the same as traditional antifreeze. If there is no expansion tank on the system, the radiator will purge a small amount upon warmup. Once cooled, this is now the system’s operating level."

On one hand it still seems to expands, but on the other hand it doesnt seem to be a problem :-)

• Denmark
  • K100 LT

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2017, 09:22:43 AM »

Here is a wiring diagram (thanks to Zachary Ross at k100-forum) which may help.
Zach cautioned over in the K100-forum that he had not run the bike with that layout, Boxerman. Have you run yours with your modifications of that layout?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #139 on: May 22, 2017, 10:07:05 AM »

Hi Boxermann

Have you spotted this on Evans site?:
"Evans waterless coolants expand 7% at operating temperature, about the same as traditional antifreeze. If there is no expansion tank on the system, the radiator will purge a small amount upon warmup. Once cooled, this is now the system’s operating level."

On one hand it still seems to expands, but on the other hand it doesnt seem to be a problem :-)

Thanks! I had missed that. Just have to see to it that I don't fill it all the way up the first time then. :)

Zach cautioned over in the K100-forum that he had not run the bike with that layout, Boxerman. Have you run yours with your modifications of that layout?

I haven't started the engine yet, but I think (hope) it will work fine. I crosschecked the wiring for ignition and injection on a diagram for K100 though, since Zach's is for K75.
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline alex-wilson

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #140 on: May 22, 2017, 10:14:34 AM »

Thanks! I had missed that. Just have to see to it that I don't fill it all the way up the first time then. :)

You're welcome!

Also if it helps, i have attached a wiring diagram containing only items nessesary to run the bike (no lights or switches).
I did this because i am also planning on using the m-Unit, and found it gave me an overview of what original wires not to cut :-)
  • Denmark
  • K100 LT

Offline Hank

• Curious
« Reply #141 on: May 22, 2017, 03:12:24 PM »
Thanks for sharing Boxermann!

The electrical diagram is really helpful.

I will definitely start a thread once I get started. Currently have some parts on order and deciding on if I want to rebuild the shock I currently have, or just to buy a new one from RAM engineering. I live in California, and RAM is in England, so it'll take a while.

The current shock is an adjustable Koni shock that has the paint chipping from the spring and the foam bumper that's at the bottom is just about crumbled away. It seems to work fine, it's just not pretty with rust an corrosion around the shock.
  • California
  • 1988 K100

Offline MaraudeRS

« Reply #142 on: May 22, 2017, 06:28:52 PM »
Thanks for sharing Boxermann!

The electrical diagram is really helpful.

I will definitely start a thread once I get started. Currently have some parts on order and deciding on if I want to rebuild the shock I currently have, or just to buy a new one from RAM engineering. I live in California, and RAM is in England, so it'll take a while.

The current shock is an adjustable Koni shock that has the paint chipping from the spring and the foam bumper that's at the bottom is just about crumbled away. It seems to work fine, it's just not pretty with rust an corrosion around the shock.

I purchased a Ram shock and it didn't take that long to arrive (I'm also in CA).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Monterey, CA
  • 1992 K100RS

Offline bocutter Ed

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #143 on: May 22, 2017, 08:55:34 PM »
I live in California, and RAM is in England, so it'll take a while.
It took a week to Toronto ...
  • Toronto, Canada
  • '61 Puch DS60 - '66 Puch 250 SGS - '87 BMW K75s

Offline Hank

• Curious
« Reply #144 on: May 24, 2017, 10:46:47 AM »
Great to hear about the shipping from RAM

So I want to get the MaruLabs BEP 3.0 magic box to make the stock speedo sensor work, but Cafe4Racer.eu is sold out and the MaruLabs website hasn't replied to my email request to order.

Does anyone know where else to order them?

@Boxermann, did you do the mod of flipping the fuel level sensor to get the signal right to work with the motogadget instrument cluster?

if you did, are there any recommendations or a bit of wisdom you can share in-case something goes wrong to fix it?
  • California
  • 1988 K100

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #145 on: May 24, 2017, 02:45:08 PM »

Also if it helps, i have attached a wiring diagram containing only items nessesary to run the bike (no lights or switches).
I did this because i am also planning on using the m-Unit, and found it gave me an overview of what original wires not to cut :-)

Thanks! Could come in handy if I need to re-check the wiring.

So I want to get the MaruLabs BEP 3.0 magic box to make the stock speedo sensor work, but Cafe4Racer.eu is sold out and the MaruLabs website hasn't replied to my email request to order.

Does anyone know where else to order them?

@Boxermann, did you do the mod of flipping the fuel level sensor to get the signal right to work with the motogadget instrument cluster?

if you did, are there any recommendations or a bit of wisdom you can share in-case something goes wrong to fix it?

Just keep mailing Marulabs, they'll answer eventually. I had to send a couple of emails before I got any response.

I just found out I don't really need the BEP though, since the combination m.unit and motoscope pro with a Breakoutbox takes care of everything.

For the fuel I just had to connect the yellow wire from the tank to the fuel input on the Breakoutbox then go the settings in the motoscope and set where the floater is when it's full and where it is when it's empty. Worked perfectly.

I thought I needed the BEP for the neutral indicator, but I could not make it work with the motoscope. At first I thought maybe I had done something wrong, but then five minutes ago I tried connecting the blue/yellow wire from the gear position switch straight to the neutral input on the Breakoutbox and, hey presto, it worked.
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Hank

• Curious
« Reply #146 on: May 26, 2017, 03:34:29 PM »
 :clap:

That's great you got the fuel gauge to work without taking the sensor unit out!

What about the speedometer? are you able to use the stock sensor on the rear drive with the motoscope pro?
  • California
  • 1988 K100

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2017, 05:50:35 AM »

What about the speedometer? are you able to use the stock sensor on the rear drive with the motoscope pro?

I haven't driven the bike yet so I don't know, but I have no doubt it'll work just fine. Motogadget knows their stuff.

Finally got to painting. Jet black with satin gloss clear coat. Will wet sand and buff the clear coat later this week.

I did not like the gap where the tank meets the seat so as you might see I have modified the shape slightly with fiberglass filler.
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Boxermann

K100 CAFE FIGHTER
« Reply #148 on: June 03, 2017, 05:23:42 AM »
Getting there... I'm not satisfied with the finish on the tank and cowl though, so I'm going to paint it again. Wasn't going to do it until some time later at first, but then the bike fell of the lift.. nothing badly damaged, but the tank got some ugly scratches.

New custom brake lines from Hel. Also installed a hydraulic brake switch banjo bolt in the rear. Just need to fix the wiring.

• Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Hank

• Curious
« Reply #149 on: June 05, 2017, 06:41:17 PM »
Did you powdercoat your crank case and valve cover?

Would anyone or should anyone powder coat be put on the gas tank to make the paint more durable?

• California
  • 1988 K100

Tags: