Author Topic: Tenet Magic Box vs. Motogadget M-Unit  (Read 306 times)

Offline LethalJD

• Curious
Tenet Magic Box vs. Motogadget M-Unit
« on: March 14, 2024, 03:20:22 PM »
Dumb question here, but I'm struggling to find much that points me in the right direction.

I bought a project bike and am finally getting to the electrical portion. The project came with a Tenet Magic Box for K Bikes AND an M-Unit Blue. Neither have been installed. Do these do essentially the same things? Different things? I'm was going to go with the M-Unit but not sure of the pros/cons/differences between what these things do.

If it's helpful, I will be replacing all of the instrument cluster, switches, etc. with Motogadget Motoscope Pro, Motogadget switches, aftermarket light and turn signals, etc.
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • 1994 BMW K75S

Offline LethalJD

• Curious
Re: Tenet Magic Box vs. Motogadget M-Unit
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 02:47:36 PM »
Replying to myself in case this is helpful for others. Here is what I have learned...

Tenet Magic Box - used to allow the easy connection of an aftermarket speedo to the factory wiring harness. Unlike the Motogadget M Unit, this does NOT replace the guts of the bike (relays, fuses, etc under the seat). This just allows you to plug the existing wiring harness in to the Tenet Box, then hook up the Tenet box to the new speedo. From my research the Magic Box and the BEP 3.0 offer similar capabilities.

Motogadget M Unit - used to replace most parts of the guts of the bike (lunch box under the seat). You can hook up aftermarket speedos to this as well, without the Tenet.

Can you use them together? Yes, I suppose you could, but I'm not sure it would add much value. If you are already doing the work to hook up the M Unit you'll have everything apart and should be able to wire up the aftermarket speedo from there, although you'll have to cut the wires and hook things up terminal by terminal.
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • 1994 BMW K75S

Offline sooprvylyn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 03:38:31 PM »
You only need the m-unit. Even stock controls can be hooked up, including kill switch(but needs a small relay to convert the signal). Hmu if you want the wiring diagram nick@zox.la..i just offered the dame to another user
  • Austin TX
  • '93 k1100rs last 7 of vin-6495569
Basic bitches ride Rs

Offline rbm

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 06:45:00 PM »
Can you use them together? Yes, I suppose you could, but I'm not sure it would add much value....
Yes, you can use them together because they co-exist with each other and neither replaces the other.  It does add value because the Tenet will add functionality back to the bike that you will loose when you remove the OEM gauge cluster, functionality such as decoding the TGPI, providing start enable, amplifying the OEM rear drive speed sensor signal, gear indicator and optimizing gauge indicators by logically ORing several warning sensors to drive one indicator light.  None of these functions are available on the Motogadget M-unit.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Tags: