Author Topic: rt or gs 1150 rear end  (Read 582 times)

Offline ming

• Motobrick Curious
rt or gs 1150 rear end
« on: August 17, 2023, 05:05:28 PM »
just purely out of curiosity, has anyone ever thought a swingarm from an rt or gs monoshock on a k100? it would allow for either a point to point shock or something with a fixed tie like a ducati?
just idle curiosity!
ming
  • derby
  • triumph street triple, spondon bandit, honda cb 500 fa, bmw k100, honda tlr 200, yamaha ty 250 mono
anything is possible!

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: tr or gs 1150 rear end
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2023, 07:50:56 AM »
You are the first I've read to mention that concept, ming. Maybe you'd better get on with it while it's still a novel idea. Of course, something like this might inspire you to take a different direction. 112350 
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline ming

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2023, 09:05:28 AM »
i believe someone has put a paralever swingarm and diff on a k100, in which case there will be a mounting point on the arm and if you can fabricate a top mount, in theory it should work if you use a similar geometry to the gs. was only looking as an alternative to the retroride shock which i like but is a bit pricey! also the paralever would give a bit more clearence.
if you did fit a complete rear end would you need to change the final drive for the ratio to be right? or can you mix and match?
one of my mates put a ducati single single sided swingarm in a harris frame doing away with the cantilever shock and  he plotted the raising rate spot on.
would be interested in hearing opinions
ming
  • derby
  • triumph street triple, spondon bandit, honda cb 500 fa, bmw k100, honda tlr 200, yamaha ty 250 mono
anything is possible!

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2023, 09:40:04 AM »
i believe someone has put a paralever swingarm and diff on a k100.
Many Brick riders have done that and put them on K75 models, too, but the transmission case must have a mounting point for the forward end of the control arm coming from the rear drive. Classic Brick transmissions can be swapped among all models without further adaptation. If the transmission doesn't have the control arm mount, one could be fabricated and added by a competent welder/technician. Generally, transmissions from 4V models are sought for the modification if that mount is needed.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline ming

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2023, 01:51:51 PM »
yep, just lookiing at the control rod (brake stay) might be possible to lengthen it and mount to whats left of my subfame or mount directly to the swingarm. i have spondon GIA enginners just down the road so would get them to do any ali welding
thanks for that information, its very helpfull!
ming
  • derby
anything is possible!

Offline ming

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2023, 04:21:22 AM »
soo... looking for a bit of clarity
i was floating the idea of fitting a gs 1150 swingarm and final drive as i have a rear gs1150 spoked wheel which i want to fit.
i thought it might help with the wheel alignment,  but i've read that the driveshaft is 17 splines on the output end and would probably need to be longer due the longer swingarm? freekwillem has done this conversion but on a k1100 using a k1100s swingarm with a k1100s driveshaft mated to his original f/d,
i need to know the viability of this conversion before i part with a considerable amount of my hard earned before i procced
many thanks for any advice
cheers
ming
k100 1988
  • derby
anything is possible!

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
Re: rt or gs 1150 rear end
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2023, 09:09:30 AM »
soo... looking for a bit of clarity
i was floating the idea of fitting a gs 1150 swingarm and final drive as i have a rear gs1150 spoked wheel . . .  freekwillem has done this conversion but on a k1100 using a k1100s swingarm with . . .
Then he has not done the conversion you are contemplating. The R1150gs swing arm and the K1100 swing arm are two different animals with differing frame attachments, swing arm mounting, plus the GS's shock lower mount is attached to a central bracket cast into the swing arm, fergawdsake! A review of the profiles of the two in photos on the Web show stark differences between the two without requiring eyestrain; however, as you have indicated, anything is possible.  :laughing4-giggles:

• 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline ming

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2023, 11:11:26 AM »
i meant freekwillem had done the centrally mounted shock conversion  using r1100 swingarm, not that he had used a gs rear end! sorry for the confusion! i would have been surprised had it worked but it was just an idea that i thought might aid wheel alignment on the k100. if the r1100 swingarm fits why dosn't the gs fit? both are boxer engines? i realise that the gs and r swingarms are longer so there is likely to be an issuse with the driveshafts, ie the knuckle being in the wrong place and the splines are different but freekwillem has done this conversion so it must be possible.
tbh by the time i priced up the gs swingarm, f/d and shock, the retrorides horizontal shock dos'nt seem that bad an option!
its just the wheel alignment but i am assured by a very competant bike enginner that milling off some of the hub is very do-able.
thanks for your input
ming
  • derby
anything is possible!

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2023, 12:06:44 PM »
If a competent engineer is in the picture, thy will be done.  Pray It sounds like fun, in a perverse way!  It could make quite a splash at Bring A Trailer.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Tags: