Author Topic: Quick Trip to the Redwood Giants  (Read 10723 times)

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Quick Trip to the Redwood Giants
« on: June 03, 2015, 01:57:16 PM »
Hitting the road in a minute headed south on the 101 to the Avenue of the Giants. Need to be back by Saturday.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=d695556f26378a1fb

Will probably return on slow roads east of Eureka and then slab it through OR and WA.

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
Re: Quick Trip to the Redwood Giants
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 12:06:53 AM »
Cloudy all the way to Tillamook OR and then the sun started. Great riding on the 101 without too much summer traffic.

Got a campsite just south of Florence, OR and realized I'd forgotten my tent poles. Oh well.  No rain forecast so I'll improvise.

Pics to come...

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 12:08:33 AM »
 :2thumbup:

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 12:41:25 AM »
 :mbird

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 12:46:36 AM »
Oh... and my headlight bulb went. High beam works. Pretty sure I have a spare in the cowl.

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 07:23:34 AM »
you gonna roll out the lost coast... black sand beach... you and some cows will be the only ones there...

map of lost coat ride from the 101 to the 101... should be some driftwood down there for tent poles...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline billday

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 07:52:41 AM »
jealous
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 05:11:44 PM »
Woke up with food poisoning. Four hours of involuntary digestive purging. I feel cleansed but still crappy. Decided to bail and take the express route home.

It was fun while it lasted.

Have not eaten anything today and don't have an appetite yet. A nice couple in a car saw me barfing on the roadside and gave me a gallon of water.

Offline Glacial

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 06:25:42 PM »
Sorry to hear your trip curtailed by pesky microbes. Sick while riding a bike - not good. Get better soon.
Ed.
  • Cambridge, UK
  • 1990 K75S VIN 0109678
'If this is your mid-life crisis, you are going to live to be 114'

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 11:25:07 PM »
Feeling normal again, although tired. I'm not too disappointed since squeezing this much road into just three days was a bit of a stretch.

The K75's odometer hit 140k miles this morning. No problems with the bike besides the headlight bulb which I replaced.

Offline WayneDW

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 08:28:20 PM »
You really pack it all don't ya, Tim?  Impressed.
  • Minneapolis, MN, USA
  • 1992 K75RT

Offline billday

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 01:17:19 PM »
Back to being jealous again.
  • 1985 K100

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 11:05:34 PM »
I'm giving this another try.

Currently in Bandon, OR for the night.

Went to the Irish pub in Old Town Bandon and when the bill came all items were $1 higher than listed in the menu. Quite the scam.

Offline johnny

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 07:01:38 AM »
ireland is on the euro... im thinking its in the conversion...

just got back from indiana... they trade in tomotoes and watormelons down there... and of course all i had was white castles...

will be looking for some photos...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Elipten

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 07:58:23 AM »
Sliders from White Castles, hum good.  Must equate to a lot of melons and tomatoes..
  • San Antonio, TX
  • 1990 K75RT

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 10:14:58 PM »
That Old Coast Hwy is unbelievable.  Unbelievably beautiful,  rough, challenging, fatiguing and twisty. It was the best ride I've had and it will give me nightmares. Took a few pics I can upload once I get home. Tipped the bike over into a fluffy grass ditch when I took the first pic.  :dunno I need a new mirror.

All the CA campgrounds are full but I found some friendly Harley campers without bikes but with beer so I'm camping next to them in Garberville. I bought extra beer.
Hope to get an early start tomorrow . Looks like there's a road out of Garberville through Fort Seward up to route 36. Will take that to route 3 then slab it home. Might ride into the night tomorrow since it's gonna be hot.

Here are the phone photos.  Beach was early in the day, logs are in Eureka.

Offline billday

• 1985 K100

Offline johnny

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 05:14:21 PM »
garberville is for hipsters...

abouts that beaver... i gotts 8 words for ya... loaded chambered cocked locked holstered click bang bang... why... cause you never bang once...

garberville is for hipsters... ha ha ha...

j o

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 02:17:40 PM »
That was a great trip. Not long after I hit the road Thursday I got a call for some work this week, so I knew I'd need to cut the ride short again. Got home at midnight last night.  Kind of beat from the long ride home. Temps out here are rising and yesterday was very hot in the CA inland. Almost unbearable. Here are some pics. I'll add some notes when I get my energy back.

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 12:26:39 AM »
The old coastal road that Johnny linked to in his June 4 post is a road everyone should ride at least once. It's very narrow and very technical with more twists and turns and ups and downs than you can imagine. The road's condition is poor at best. I suspect that once a year they send a guy up there with a truck of tar and a shovel and whatever holes he fills before the tar runs out is "fine until next year". The stretch along the Pacific ocean is a grand payoff and there are good places to pull over and rest. The tiny "town" of Petrolia has a very good convenience store that surprisingly stocks lots of frozen organic meals, kombucha and co-op style foods that you generally don't find in the middle of nowhere. The southern end of the road winds narrowly through redwood forest and leaves you back on the Avenue of the Giants.

Alderpoint Rd leaving Garberville winds north for about 50 miles to Rt 36. 100% picturesque yeehaw. Most of the road is in good shape but there are patches of loose gravel you need to watch out for.

Route 36 is famously loved by moto riders everywhere. The guy who invited me to camp with his family on Friday night had a large "36" framed with a twisty serpent design tattooed on his forearm. I took 36 E to route 3 and then north to Douglas City where I decided to head east on 299 to I-5 instead of continuing north on 3 up to Yreka. I know that road to Yreka is very remote and I was worried about my front tire which seemed to look worse at every fuel stop. I was also eager to escape the heat which at that point was in the 90's and climbing.

I tipped the bike over on its right side when stopping to take a photo on the old coastal road where there was no shoulder. It looked like there was a place to put my foot, but it was just shaved tall grass growing out of ditch. I tried the classic lift method but there was absolutely no room to position myself between the bike and the ground so I was lucky to get some lifting help from a passerby. The only damage was a mirror. I noticed the next morning that I was low about 12 oz of oil. Not sure how that happened.

The headlight bulb failed at some point on Saturday. It was only a couple of weeks old. Probably caused by all the potholes. I replaced it with the spare and ordered two more when I got home.

Not sure what's going on with the front tire wear. I first noticed it a few weeks ago. The bike has handled fine, tracks straight, doesn't wobble... The tire has about 12k miles on it. Replacement tires are in the mail.

Offline chico

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2015, 02:33:37 PM »
Looks like a great trip. I'm missing that part of the country more every day. Thanks for sharing.
  • '86 K75

Tags: