Author Topic: Top case luggage rack for 22 L top case??  (Read 8220 times)

Offline Crapdealerbob

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Top case luggage rack for 22 L top case??
« on: May 22, 2011, 11:05:05 AM »
I have been trying to find a little luggage rack to fit on my 22 L top case.  I have seen a couple on other Beemers, but never have been able to locate or talk to the owner/ operator.  I would love for my wife to lose the back pack she has to wear, I have searched for one without success....anybody know of one that would fit, make, brand name??
Crapdealerbob
Wickenburg, AZ
1991 K100 RS

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: Top case luggage rack for 22 L top case??
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 11:21:04 AM »
greetings crapdealerbob...

my 22 liter as not fallen off but i have heard stories were they have... i think adding an external load to the 22 liter may be enough for that cam mechanism to fail... just my opinion...

the elusive reynolds rack may be your best option... are you familiar with the reynolds rack...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Crapdealerbob

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 12:57:27 PM »
greetings crapdealerbob...

my 22 liter as not fallen off but i have heard stories were they have... i think adding ab externial load to the 22 liter may be enough for that cam mechanism to fail... just my opinion...

the elusive reynolds rack may be your best option... are you failure with the reynolds rack...

j o

Johnny

I have already had the dis-pleasure of losing the top case on I-80 back in 2008 on my way to the BMWMOA rally in Gillette.  It went flying off at 80mph just past the Little America truck stop and hotel.  Luckily I saw it in my mirror and was able to stop, walk back and pick it up before the I-80 traffic ran over it.  The case was still intact, did not break open, I was amazed!  The locking pin had worked it's way loose, I put it back on and continued on my way.

When I got back to Vegas I had the Beemer shop add four drill holes, and screw them into the rack to hold it securely and have not had any other problems with since. 

The bag I would like to strap on the luggage rack would be light, the wife just is getting a little tired of being a "pack" mule..LOL.  We do seem able to add to the backpack as our trip progresses.

I'll look up the reynolds rack - thanks for the information.
Crapdealerbob
Wickenburg, AZ
1991 K100 RS

Offline mystic red

• Retired Professsional Driver
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 01:09:31 PM »
I looked for a rack for my 35 liter top box. Seemed simple but no love. If you really want to lighten the mules load try waterproof bags strapped to the top of the side cases. Just a thought........

Offline leecow

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 07:56:53 PM »
I just ordered a Givi E180 to open up a few more cargo stowage options. Seems to be a nice range of possibilities in their 'monokey' system.
Lee
'93 K1100RS

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 09:02:37 AM »
Not sure whay they say the Givi base can only be used with a Givi Monokey bag.

I get the Givi E181, keep the metal bottom part, resell the Monokey base plate for $50 and then install a nice little EMGO Travel Trunk.

Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline leecow

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 09:39:48 AM »
Thanks for the EMGO lead. Especially like the price.

Regarding the E18n, I imagine there's some particular fitment detail on the monokeys that mates 'just so' to the E180/181. Looking at a few pictures I'm sure you could attach many other cases without fussing over it too much. If I'm reading the Givi site correctly, the only difference between the 180 and 181 is that the 180 is aluminum and the 181 is nylon.
Lee
'93 K1100RS

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 10:12:44 AM »
I think you're right that it's just a different Monokey base plate.  I was aware that there were two Monokey base plates.

The metal bottom part should work with just about any top case that comes with it's own mounting system.

Aside from the price, the EMGO travel trunk is nice because it will hold a FF helmet.  (At least an Arai Quantum - not sure about modular helmets.)

FYI: The best part of having a level rear tail rack is that you have somewhere to put your beer when working on the bike. 8)
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline CrashBar

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
I bought the rack from A&S or Bike Bandit, about 80 bucks as I recall.  They pop up on ebay too.  That's where I bought my 22 litre case, cheap as it had gone down the road and been scraped up, but the scratches sanded out.  it seems very secure.  I still swap out for my standard LT rack and truck when Mrs crash and I camp.
  • Boston MA
  • 1993 K1100 LT
....to trade in these wings on some wheels...

1993 K1100 LT (143,000 miles and counting)
1973 CB350F / 1978 CB550K / 1973 TR5T

Tags: