Author Topic: 1991 BMW K75S barn find resurrection steps  (Read 586 times)

Offline edengweiss

• Motobrick Curious
1991 BMW K75S barn find resurrection steps
« on: March 20, 2024, 09:22:17 AM »
Hello to all-

I've already introduced myself (In the Welcome to MotoBrick.com section) and moved over to this thread as suggested.

Scenario on the bike: has been off the road 2009 (last registered) and started and driven around the block 2 to 3 years he said after that.
So,12 or plus years dormant.

And so the process has begun following the nine step outline offered up by "The Mighty Gryphon" on another post titled rehab list.

Step #1.)
 Is done. I didn't use the exact brand cleaner but I cleaned the bike as
 best as I could. It's a lot better than it was for sure. More needed (will be done as I wait for parts).

Step #2.)
A.) All rubbers are bad, definitely dry rot and hard. Really not pliable at all, would definitely not rely on them. 
What is the best source for the z-tube and rubber caps that go on the throttle bodies. (Guessing Beemer Boneyard in NJ? OR another source?)

B.) I was able to get the coolant cap off very, very tight.  Slimy green stuff around the neck, no mineral deposits.

C.) Fan very stiff just barley able to turn with finger.  Worked it back and forth about 1/8 of turn at a time for a couple mins.  Still lots of stiffness no where near free spinning. Needs replacement (Guessing Beemer Boneyard in NJ? OR another source?).
 The fuel line that went from the tank down to the fuel rail pretty much crumbled apart in my hand. the end was stuck on the barbed part of the fuel rail. Need a new one (Beemer Boneyard for this too?)

D.) Brake pads also are very old and well worn done. I don't trust them.  I think new ones are best here.  From research is EBC the go to pad?  Source? (Guessing Beemer Boneyard in NJ? OR another source?)

E.) Air filter is full of debris.  Looks to be K & N.  Yes, mega rodent condo in air filter housing box below filter. smells like urine for sure. Will clean.

Thanks any and all comments are welcome-
Eden
  • USA
  • 06' Harley Davidson Super glide, 89' Yamaha FJ 1200, 1991 BMW K75S

Offline edengweiss

• Motobrick Curious
Re: 1991 BMW K75S barn find resurrection steps
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 09:24:36 AM »
I wanted to add a few pictures for reference.
  • USA

Offline edengweiss

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 09:26:14 AM »
Grommets
  • USA

Offline edengweiss

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 09:27:07 AM »
Air filter
  • USA

Offline edengweiss

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 09:28:29 AM »
Coolant neck
  • USA

Offline edengweiss

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2024, 09:29:28 AM »
Coolant cap.
  • USA

Online The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2024, 12:50:16 PM »
My inclination is to do a teardown, cleaning as you go and checking every part.  Besides giving you the opportunity to do a deep detail on the bike it will make you intimately familiar with the your bike and what makes it work as well as making it as reliable as possible.  With a month or so until good riding weather, it's a good time to do it.

I like buying my parts from a couple different sources.  MaxBMW is great, they have a nice online parts list and you can order online with free shipping on orders over $100 and they don't charge sales tax. 

Universal parts like fuel lines, filters, fluids, etc., I get locally at places like NAPA and Walmart.  Brakes, tires and batteries I get online, eBay has good prices.  There are also aftermarket sources; EuroMotoElectrics is a good one as well as some of the European sellers.  Personally, I have never been impressed by Beemer Boneyard, but YMMV. 

eBay is also a good source for used parts.  By scanning the listings periodically you can see what the current market is for various items.  I have had good luck with budget brake pads and tires on eBay.  It's also a very good source for used body parts.  There are a number of bike breakers who sell a wide assortment of parts there.

About your bike, get your rubber bits from MaxBMW, fuel line can be had at the local NAPA as well as the filters for fuel and oil.  Air filters can be had for a good price on eBAy.  Get your oil(Castrol GTX 20W50), antifreeze, brake fluid and transmission oil at Walmart.  I also use Walmart store brand ATF in my forks.  Can you tell that I'm a cheap bastard?  My attitude is that by keeping the cost of maintenance down, there is less chance of deferring it.  I go through everything on my bikes every Fall at the end of the season.

That "slime" in the cooling system may be the result of mixing different coolants.  You might want to do a good drain and a couple of flushes with distilled water before refilling the system with a good long life coolant.  I use Peak, but almost any brand name stuff will work.

Get a large bottle of DOT 4 and plan on running it all through the brakes system to completely flush out the old fluid.  For brake pads, avoid organic, they are filthy and will keep the wheels dirty.  Look for ceramic.  Get them on eBay for the best price.  Make sure you get the right year for your bike.  I found out the hard way that not all years use the same size pad.  Some years use pads that are a mm larger than other years.  They look almost exactly the same, but the big ones can be a bear to install if your bike doesn't use them.

• In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2024, 01:24:41 PM »
Parts are offered in Motobrick's FS-WTB-WTT marketplace. The throttle body caps can be found at most auto parts stores. Review Motobrick's mail order/online parts section for other sources. Even frankenduck—one of this site's many members experienced in the curing of chronically ill Bricks by the laying-on of hands—could have something available from his catalogue of organ donations.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2024, 02:08:15 PM »
Search this site for Spal fan and you'll get examples of how to install a high-quality replacement for your failing oem fan at less cost than the oem.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Tags: 1991 bmw k75s k75 k75s