Author Topic: Can You Read  (Read 25815 times)

Offline The Dude

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
Re: Can You Read
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2016, 10:47:40 PM »

But none of this really answers my question—if there was one—concerning the failure of powdercoating the starter to start my bike, which, incidentally, is making a strange noise, too, when I hinge back the seat—kind of like a combination of a singing whale and a Vita-Mix processing a wad of shop towel.

You didn't powdercoat the sprag clutch,did you?(the seat hinge is a red herring)
I suspect there is a special section on how to sort that,on this site,somewhere,if you keep looking....keep looking.search "red herring" first,to eliminate that.
  • Auckland, New Zealand
  • K75s
Current.
TR6R 1973 from new.
Moto guzzi 850 III .1983 from,almost, new.
K75S 1986 from new.vin-0103141
On my second millionth km.give or take a hundred k Kay's.
"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there."
All the best!

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2016, 10:54:37 PM »
I suspect there is a special section on how to sort that,on this site,somewhere,if you keep looking....keep looking.search "red herring" first,to eliminate that.
It'd be a lot easier if you'd just imitate the sounds of red herrings and sperm whales, Dude. When I went looking all I found were crabs so I didn't want to get too close. Kerosene affects my sinuses.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline TrueAce

« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2016, 10:56:56 PM »
Laitch, if you would just learn how to use the SEARCH BUTTON you would know the cause of that sound......it's a Korgasm :neener:
  • Florida
  • '85 K100GS, '85 K100RSSC,', '94 K1100RS,'10 S1000rr,'14 Ural Sidecar, '15 R Nine T

Offline jakgieger

• itinerant farmer
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2016, 11:21:24 PM »

But none of this really answers my question—if there was one—concerning the failure of powdercoating the starter to start my bike, which, incidentally, is making a strange noise, too, when I hinge back the seat—kind of like a combination of a singing whale and a Vita-Mix processing a wad of shop towel.

You didn't powdercoat the sprag clutch,did you?(the seat hinge is a red herring)
Damn..you learn something everyday.  Thanks Laitch :hehehe I just thought that meant more bumps. Now in regards to your specific diffugulty :xeno and  :useless
  • Kansas USA
  • 1989 K100rs se
"What we've got here is failure, to communicate.  Some men, you just cain't reach.  So you get what we had here last week.  Which is the way he wants it...Well, he gets it.  I don't like it any more than you men do."

Offline The Dude

« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2016, 12:07:48 AM »
Kerosene affects my sinuses.
Your parrafinalia won't help.I would post some pictures of mine but,that's just asking for trouble.
  • Auckland, New Zealand
  • K75s
Current.
TR6R 1973 from new.
Moto guzzi 850 III .1983 from,almost, new.
K75S 1986 from new.vin-0103141
On my second millionth km.give or take a hundred k Kay's.
"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there."
All the best!

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2017, 12:23:55 PM »
greetings...

this thread is like my k1100lt se streetfighter racer...

1 peculiar
2 strange
3 hopped-up
4 tricked-out
5 suspicious
6 unusual
7 eccentric
8 unconventional
9 whack
10 queered-out

more later...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2017, 02:59:37 PM »
this thread is like my k1100lt se streetfighter racer...
Is that your queered-out bike that blew its supercharger? No pejorative intended, of course.  :yes
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Motorhobo

• +20 years of K75
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2017, 11:05:39 AM »
Well, the alternative view is that maybe a lot of people come to this forum because they have little or no experience at all, are complete novices and don't know what to to search for, or haven't determined yet whether this site is something they want to be part of at all.

So when they test the water by asking for some guidance from the get-go, and then they get lambasted over the spit because 1) their googling skills don't meet some people's arbitrary standards 2) they don't know the Library by heart 3) they aren't K-Bike aficionados and aren't sure they want to be --  they might just say, "what do I need with a bunch of wannabe hard-ass, old-school, crotchety geezers who get a stiffie for beating people up -- f**k this, I'll go get me a new Versys and spend time riding rather than wrenching -- that's why I have a good job, i.e. to pay people to be mechanics."

I've found some people's attitude towards new posters here to be unnecessarily harsh and off-putting. I see no need to be disparaging towards people who come here asking questions. I see no advantage to scolding people for not searching 'adequately' to find the answer. I see no advantage to the community of using ROTF emojis to eviscerate noobs for asking questions, even if the answer could be found by searching the database. And IMO, if you can't provide information to people without slapping them on the wrists for asking, then maybe it's best not to jump all over every inquiry immediately and let some people give some advice that's not so admonitory.

When I first came here I didn't know jackshit and I'm sure I asked some dumbass questions. But I don't remember being treated with the kind of dismissiveness that reigns here these days. If I had, maybe I'd not still be here. It's not like we are flooded with people asking questions. Inquiries come in maybe 2 or 3 a day. I think some of us have become so accustomed to the volume of information on this site that we just kind of take it for granted. Well, it is a HUGE amount of information and is totally intimidating for new members. So telling them to search better and snapping at them is likely top do more harm than good.

I'd also like to remind you that any search here will turn up a number of different threads where people engage in all kinds of banter, and that reading through all these banter-saturated threads to get to the hard-core technical information can take a LOT of time. I'd also like to remind you that not all the technical information on this site is included in the Lieberry which hasn't been structurally updated to include all the new information in all the banter-saturatd threads for several years. So if someone shows up here and asks for a leg-up in cutting through all the old stuff to get to the most relevant, most up-to-date info, I think that's a reasonable request that deserves a courteous response.

In my opinion, we should be welcoming and supportive to new people who come here and should be willing to do a bit of hand-holding at the start of a new relationship. In my opinion we aren't here just as a source of information, but as a community of people who want to keep the classic K bikes on the road, and we should be willing to act more like ambassadors than disciplinarian schoolmasters.

BTW this isn't the first time this has come up. Every time it does, people get nice for a while then after a while it's back to smacking-hand-of-the-student-with-the-stick.

My humble $0.02.
1994/1995 K75 ABS Frankenbike: original engine 136k miles, frame from Gary Weaver (RIP), 173k miles -- Current Odometer: 193k miles
1994 K75 since 2013, 76,000 mi (11k mine) w/California Sidecar Friendship II Sidecar & Black Lab 'Miss B'

Past: 1974 Honda 550/4 (first bike), 1994 K75 (sold), 1995 K75 ABS (parts bike), Sidecar Dog & Best Bud 'Bo' - RIP

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2017, 11:42:12 AM »
Well said, Chaos!

There is one thread here with a new poster who I found to be pretty annoying.  I just stopped posting on it or reading anything by him.  Maybe he is getting better.  He's still here and maybe figuring out how to work with us to get a problem solved.

I rather enjoy the mental challenge of troubleshooting a bike I can't see, and don't have a problem answering the same question over and over.  Probably comes from my days servicing industrial control systems over the phone.  I just can't understand why some here choose to mock the newbie's lack of knowledge.  If you find a poster annoying or his questions obnoxious just ignore that thread and read or post on another.  Life is too short to do otherwise.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline jakgieger

• itinerant farmer
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2017, 12:02:26 PM »
+1 Hobo and +1  Gryph, your encouragement after my initial smackdown :hehehe is why I am still here :deal:
  • Kansas USA
  • 1989 K100rs se
"What we've got here is failure, to communicate.  Some men, you just cain't reach.  So you get what we had here last week.  Which is the way he wants it...Well, he gets it.  I don't like it any more than you men do."

Offline Soichiro

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2017, 12:41:19 PM »
I had trouble starting my K75 and someone suggested it was a mixture problem so I sent off to Germany for some air.  After sucking the air out of my tyres with a vacuum pump, I reinflated them with the German air using a funnel.  I've still got half a box left, which should last me years.  The difference is amazing - starts first time, every time.

Be careful of cheap Chinese air though,  nowhere near as good.
  • Caerphilly
  • K75S, 1986. 400Four

Offline Motorhobo

• +20 years of K75
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2017, 01:02:02 PM »
 :clap:

You're lucky you live in Wales which is still EU. Here, a box of German air costs a fortune. We can get Pennsylvania Dutch air cheap but the gene pool is so watery it barely works.

Where are you going to get your German air after Brexit?

1994/1995 K75 ABS Frankenbike: original engine 136k miles, frame from Gary Weaver (RIP), 173k miles -- Current Odometer: 193k miles
1994 K75 since 2013, 76,000 mi (11k mine) w/California Sidecar Friendship II Sidecar & Black Lab 'Miss B'

Past: 1974 Honda 550/4 (first bike), 1994 K75 (sold), 1995 K75 ABS (parts bike), Sidecar Dog & Best Bud 'Bo' - RIP

Offline Soichiro

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2017, 01:12:07 PM »
I'll get some black bags from the pound shop, go to Germany,  open the bags and steal some.  perhaps I should stock up before we leave the United States of Europe.
  • Caerphilly
  • K75S, 1986. 400Four

Offline Martin

« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2017, 01:26:35 PM »

Try adding Eucalyptus oil to your air it works well in OZ, and it is beneficial to people following especially if they have a cold. The only negative with it is you have to push off all the Koalas before you can ride.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Motorhobo

• +20 years of K75
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2017, 01:30:11 PM »
I'll get some black bags from the pound shop, go to Germany,  open the bags and steal some.  perhaps I should stock up before we leave the United States of Europe.

Definitely -- afterwards they will tax you if you cross the border holding your breath.

Offline Soichiro

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2017, 01:52:11 PM »
So that's why the Polizei breathalyse drivers leaving their borders ; not to check for drunkishness but to confiscate their air.  I hadn't thought of that.

I just had a thought;  next time I order ersatzteile (spare parts) for a Winterhalter dishwasher,  I'll keep the bubble wrap and squash it out when I need some.
  • Caerphilly
  • K75S, 1986. 400Four

Offline Motorhobo

• +20 years of K75
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2017, 02:07:45 PM »
You're going to be bummed out when your bike won't run because the bubble wrap was made in China!

Offline jaxon

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2017, 02:40:43 PM »
I've replaced the footpegs, the handgrips, all the lamp bulbs, the fork seals, and the front axle. I've scrubbed myself and the bike with Seafoam, Techron and WD-40. I've used a Dremel, a slide hammer, and an easyout on all the parts I could reach. I bought a 70-piece o-ring set online—still no start.

Switch your handgrips. They are on the wrong side.

:hehehe
  • Indiana
  • '92 K75S, '17 R1200GS LC
--
This space for rent

Offline Soichiro

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2017, 02:45:05 PM »
They're not on the wrong side, it's you Americans that have them on the wrong side. :hehehe
  • Caerphilly
  • K75S, 1986. 400Four

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2017, 04:02:14 PM »
Soichiro, have you tried Irish blended air?  Stay away from the single element brands, bad for your injector piston.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Soichiro

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2017, 05:05:50 PM »
Nah, wouldn't want to try anything that might make the engine run backwards... Or sideways.
  • Caerphilly
  • K75S, 1986. 400Four

Offline Elipten

« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2017, 05:22:28 PM »
Well said Motohobo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • San Antonio, TX
  • 1990 K75RT

Tags: