Author Topic: K100 CAFE FIGHTER  (Read 115973 times)

Offline Boxermann

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
K100 CAFE FIGHTER
« Reply #200 on: March 02, 2018, 10:52:05 AM »
How do you check/are sure of your level now? Did you do many checks and top-ups during the first road tests post build?
It's obviously quite a task to gain access to the fill cap unless you have fuel line quick disconnects for the tank removal.

I filled about 2.6 liters (2.8 minus ca 7% as it expands when warm). I haven’t checked since and don’t see any reason for it to diminish. It’s a closed system, and I’ve replaced all hoses and gaskets with new ones. And temp is displayed on the speedo, so if I’m losing capacity I would notice it fast.

Waterless coolants isn’t as effective as regular coolants when it comes to cooling, but for a Cafe Racer kind of bike that’s just driven occasionally it won’t make much difference I think. The fan just runs a little more often.
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Boxermann

Re: K100 CAFE FIGHTER
« Reply #201 on: March 03, 2018, 08:47:21 AM »
Have you been through a hot summer this way?  Stuck in traffic, etc?

Yup. Well.. A Scandinavian summer at least.  :eek:
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Sebavidaurre

• Honda mechanic going BMW
  • Curious
« Reply #202 on: March 08, 2018, 03:01:13 PM »
well that beemer looks spiffy. Way to hit the apex in your design... Congrats
  • Chile
  • 1990 k100

Offline woodgeek

Re: K100 cafe fighter
« Reply #203 on: March 08, 2018, 03:21:51 PM »
Bike has apparently been well maintained. I'm replacing clutch plate, voltage regulator, alternator rubbers and a couple of the bearings.
Did you replace the voltage regulator because of its age or did it measure bad?
  • Henderson, NV
  • 1985 K100RT

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #204 on: March 08, 2018, 04:37:10 PM »
well that beemer looks spiffy. Way to hit the apex in your design... Congrats

Thanks!

Did you replace the voltage regulator because of its age or did it measure bad?

Brushes was worn out and a new regulator cost about the same as replacing the brushes on the old one.

• Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline woodgeek

« Reply #205 on: March 08, 2018, 04:40:38 PM »
Brushes was worn out and a new regulator cost about the same as replacing the brushes on the old one.
Got it. Thanks! :2thumbup:
  • Henderson, NV
  • 1985 K100RT

Offline oneplustwo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #206 on: May 03, 2018, 01:07:30 AM »
Great build Boxermann!  Really inspirational for a build I'm planning.  A few questions if you don't mind.  I read through the thread a few times so apologies if I missed it somewhere.

1.  How did you make the groove for the rear LED?  I saw your frame weld photos but didn't see how you got the groove in the tubing.
2.  Which bar end indicators did you use?
3.  Where did the MAF bracket mount to?  The frame tube running down the center of the tank?
4.  Did you connect your external relays to the relays of the m.unit?  Or were they triggered separately?
5.  How did you mount your seat to the frame?  Is it just bolted on or were you able to fab a release similar to the stock seat?

Thanks in advance for the insight!  And congrats again on an amazing build!
  • San Francisco
  • 1990 K75S (in 1000 pieces)

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #207 on: May 03, 2018, 04:36:19 AM »
Great build Boxermann!  Really inspirational for a build I'm planning.  A few questions if you don't mind.  I read through the thread a few times so apologies if I missed it somewhere.

1.  How did you make the groove for the rear LED?  I saw your frame weld photos but didn't see how you got the groove in the tubing.
2.  Which bar end indicators did you use?
3.  Where did the MAF bracket mount to?  The frame tube running down the center of the tank?
4.  Did you connect your external relays to the relays of the m.unit?  Or were they triggered separately?
5.  How did you mount your seat to the frame?  Is it just bolted on or were you able to fab a release similar to the stock seat?

Thanks in advance for the insight!  And congrats again on an amazing build!

Thanks!

1. I used metal filling.
2. Motogadget m.blaze disc.
3. The plate on the frame on the right side. It has two holes in it.
4. Ignition relay and start relay are connected to the m.unit. See attached wiring scheme. It's for a m.unit v1, but it's mostly the same.
5. Velcro.  :2thumbup:

Good luck with your build! Just ask if you have any more questions.
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #208 on: May 03, 2018, 04:47:23 AM »
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline oneplustwo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #209 on: May 03, 2018, 08:37:43 PM »
Awesome, thanks!  The motogadget stuff is cool, but pricey.  A few pieces from there and I will have already matched how much I paid for the whole bike!

Love to velcro idea, keep it simple.

Where did you relocate your horn?
  • San Francisco

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #210 on: May 04, 2018, 04:10:06 AM »
Awesome, thanks!  The motogadget stuff is cool, but pricey.  A few pieces from there and I will have already matched how much I paid for the whole bike!

Love to velcro idea, keep it simple.

Where did you relocate your horn?

Check out www.elektronikbox.de for a cheaper alternative for the m.unit.

The velcro works great. I have a little compartment for tools and papers there. The velcro makes it easy to access.

The horn is behind the MAF. I replaced it with a smaller one.
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline oneplustwo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #211 on: May 04, 2018, 06:13:35 PM »
Is it the version G box?  http://www.elektronikbox.de/ebox_g_uk.html

Looks like it integrates the m.unit button functionality as well.  No bluetooth though.  Definitely cheaper, but with the bluetooth, I might splurge for the m.unit to get rid of needing the key.  Super trick!

Speaking of controls, is there a rhyme or reason to choosing a different set?  Mine definitely could use replacing.  I'm likely to eliminate the "choke" so no need for that control.  I'd be looking for something simple that would fit with minimal modification.
  • San Francisco

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #212 on: May 05, 2018, 04:59:42 AM »
Is it the version G box?  http://www.elektronikbox.de/ebox_g_uk.html

Looks like it integrates the m.unit button functionality as well.  No bluetooth though.  Definitely cheaper, but with the bluetooth, I might splurge for the m.unit to get rid of needing the key.  Super trick!

Speaking of controls, is there a rhyme or reason to choosing a different set?  Mine definitely could use replacing.  I'm likely to eliminate the "choke" so no need for that control.  I'd be looking for something simple that would fit with minimal modification.

I haven't looked into the elektronikbox products that much, but probably that one yeah.

One very annoying thing with the m.unit blue is that the bluetooth keyless-go function doesn't work with 4-button configuration I have. You need to have a separate start button. Mine is configured to light+left turn signal for start and it doesn't work. Hopefully they get this sorted out.

I replaced my controls with motogadget m.switches because the I think the OEM ones are ugly and didn't match the rest of my bike. There are knockoffs on eBay if you think the motogadget ones are to pricey.

I'm doing fine without the choke (idle increaser).
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline oneplustwo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #213 on: May 05, 2018, 12:04:21 PM »
What if you used a three button version on one side?  I assume the extra button could be used as the start button?

What are the buttons for otherwise?  I was thinking something like this...
Left top - horn
Left bottom - signal

Right top - start
Right bottom - signal
Right rear (assuming three button unit) - kill/stop

Also, which throttle/brake/clutch assemblies did you go with?

• San Francisco

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #214 on: May 06, 2018, 02:58:29 PM »
What if you used a three button version on one side?  I assume the extra button could be used as the start button?

What are the buttons for otherwise?  I was thinking something like this...
Left top - horn
Left bottom - signal

Right top - start
Right bottom - signal
Right rear (assuming three button unit) - kill/stop

Also, which throttle/brake/clutch assemblies did you go with?

Yeah, but I would rather not spend more money on a 3 button version. I've mailed them and hopefully they'll look into it.

The button setup sounds ok. throttle/brake/clutch assemblies are cheap China eBay finds. For the brake, just make sure the bore size is correct. If my memory serves me right I think it is 13mm for non-ABS and 12mm with ABS for the K's.
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline oneplustwo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #215 on: May 07, 2018, 12:48:35 PM »
Got it, thanks.

Related to wiring:
1. Did you redo a lot of the wiring harness with the m.unit wiring kit?  Or were you able to disassemble and tap into the existing pretty easily?  I know you used the m.button so that was all fresh.  More curious about the other bits rearward of the handlebars.
2. In retrospect, without needing the BEP 3.0, do you think you could have fit the ECU under the tank as well?

Related to your intake:
1. Was the boxed section you folded from aluminum done for ease of fabrication or to create enough volume to match the stock air box for intake tuning reasons?
2. How did you affix the 38mm tubes to the throttle bodies?  Looks like maybe you used the short stock bits as an interface, but I couldn't see clamps or anything.
3. Are those 38mm elbows off the shelf pieces you can buy?
  • San Francisco

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #216 on: May 08, 2018, 05:29:02 AM »
Related to wiring:
1. Did you redo a lot of the wiring harness with the m.unit wiring kit?  Or were you able to disassemble and tap into the existing pretty easily?  I know you used the m.button so that was all fresh.  More curious about the other bits rearward of the handlebars.
2. In retrospect, without needing the BEP 3.0, do you think you could have fit the ECU under the tank as well?

1. I redid all the wiring. Not that hard if you follow the schematics and take your time.
2. No, its too big to fit there.

[/size]

[/size]Related to your intake:
[/size]1. Was the boxed section you folded from aluminum done for ease of fabrication or to create enough volume to match the stock air box for intake tuning reasons?
[/size]2. How did you affix the 38mm tubes to the throttle bodies?  Looks like maybe you used the short stock bits as an interface, but I couldn't see clamps or anything.
[/size]3. Are those 38mm elbows off the shelf pieces you can buy?

1. Both.
2. I cut the bottom of some 40mm rubber table leg caps to use as an interface between the alu tubes and the OEM bushings.
3. eBay. Search for 38mm aluminium elbow.
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline oneplustwo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #217 on: May 09, 2018, 08:31:02 PM »
Were you able to reuse all the connectors?  Or did you have to buy those?  Or were you able to reuse the connectors and associated wiring as needed?
  • San Francisco

Offline oneplustwo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #218 on: June 26, 2018, 12:43:44 AM »
Which air filter did you use?  The 3" ones I'm finding are humongous!
  • San Francisco

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #219 on: June 26, 2018, 03:48:21 AM »
Were you able to reuse all the connectors?  Or did you have to buy those?  Or were you able to reuse the connectors and associated wiring as needed?

I replaced most of them.

Which air filter did you use?  The 3" ones I'm finding are humongous!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JR-Race-Car-371-6216-Air-Filter-3-1-2-OD-with-10-Degree-Angle-/312145731830
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #220 on: October 26, 2018, 03:40:08 AM »
@ Oslo Motor Show 2018
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline almostordinary

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #221 on: November 10, 2018, 09:17:10 PM »
Great thread! Definitely will be coming back here while I undergo my k75 build.

Amazing work!
  • Los Angeles
  • 1991 K75s

Offline holmesy

• Curious
« Reply #222 on: November 11, 2018, 04:25:59 AM »
Great work mate. Love seeing the bricks stripped down!
  • Melbourne, Australia
  • 1995 K1100LT, 2005 SV650S
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline almostordinary

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #223 on: November 18, 2018, 03:58:01 PM »
Quick question, what is  that you're using for the Twist Throttle Assembly and what cable did you use to re-run the throttle cable from the stock setup?

Thanks!
  • Los Angeles
  • 1991 K75s

Offline Boxermann

« Reply #224 on: November 18, 2018, 04:04:28 PM »
Great thread! Definitely will be coming back here while I undergo my k75 build.

Amazing work!
Great work mate. Love seeing the bricks stripped down!

Thanks!

Quick question, what is  that you're using for the Twist Throttle Assembly and what cable did you use to re-run the throttle cable from the stock setup?

It's a universal throttle assembly (eBay) and I modified stock cables to fit the throttle assembly.
  • Norway
  • K100 / '87, K75 / '87

Tags: