Author Topic: Harbor Freight Value  (Read 47377 times)

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Harbor Freight Value
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 10:30:19 PM »
Back in the summer of 2004 I bought a HF trailer for $200 shipped to rescue my K75RT with stripped splines from MN. (If I knew then what I know now I would've fixed it there and ridden it home.)

I used it to pick up my LT in Spokane the next year.  I've also used it to transport a bunch of other bikes for various purposes and some other hauling tasks.  After reading horror stories about failed wheel bearings over on ADV  I pulled the wheels off last summer.  Bearings looked OK so I repacked them with Mobil 1 bearing grease and put it back together.

I've definitely gotten my $200 worth out of it.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
Never knew how much I need these till I popped the $3.  Use em for grease, paint, whatever & pitch them.  Big plus. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline DRxBMW

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2012, 11:01:21 PM »
I bought a chain breaker/master link installer.  The skinny bit that is used to press out the old master link bent.  I straightened it and then it snapped when I tried to use it again.

Good to read the above tidbit.

Pondered buying the HF chain breaker but it did look cheep.

Nothing worse than being out in the boonies with a compromised chain and a broken piece of ch!t tool.

Gary
Williamsport,Pa

1994 K 75 ABS "custom"
2005 F 650 GS

Offline ned37

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2012, 11:25:17 AM »
Quote from: Lawrence on February 17, 2012, 01:53:35 PM

I bought a chain breaker/master link installer.  The skinny bit that is used to press out the old master link bent.  I straightened it and then it snapped when I tried to use it again.

Good to read the above tidbit.
Pondered buying the HF chain breaker but it did look cheep.
Nothing worse than being out in the boonies with a compromised chain and a broken piece of ch!t tool.

i've had a similar chain breaker for years.  the driver pin on mine also bent so i replaced it with a ground down drill bit.  been going strong for a long time.
ned
---------------
'92 k75rt/c
cottonwood, az

Offline CRASH

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2012, 12:49:04 PM »

:2thumbup: :2thumbup: :2thumbup:

Fail ... taken two sets back after only a few hours.  Electronics burn out.
- CRASH -

Offline HCorn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2012, 07:37:58 AM »

Thanks HCorn, I'm in the market for a roll-around cart/table.  I'll give that one a look-see.

I have purchased jack-stands and a cherry-picker from HF.  So far they've worked flawlessly.  I'm in the process of putting an sbc/700r4/D300 into a Wagoneer.

Along with the one at home, we use two at work.  By far one of the best tool related purchases I have made. 

Speaking of Wagoneers . . . I had a Grand Wagoneer a few years ago.  I'm pretty firmly in the landcruiser camp now, but the Wagoneer certainly had more charm.  I wouldn't mind picking up an older Cherokee one day.  Getting hard to find nice FSJs anywhere they salt the roads nowadays (except New England, where they seem to love FSJs and Subarus!)
1986 K75T

Offline motodude

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2012, 11:29:59 AM »

Thanks HCorn, I'm in the market for a roll-around cart/table.  I'll give that one a look-see.

I have purchased jack-stands and a cherry-picker from HF.  So far they've worked flawlessly.  I'm in the process of putting an sbc/700r4/D300 into a Wagoneer.

Along with the one at home, we use two at work.  By far one of the best tool related purchases I have made. 

Speaking of Wagoneers . . . I had a Grand Wagoneer a few years ago.  I'm pretty firmly in the landcruiser camp now, but the Wagoneer certainly had more charm.  I wouldn't mind picking up an older Cherokee one day.  Getting hard to find nice FSJs anywhere they salt the roads nowadays (except New England, where they seem to love FSJs and Subarus!)

Not sure if you're referring to the jackstands or the cherry-picker (guessing the cherry-picker).

Yeah, I'm going through a Jeep phase right now.  I recently put together a budget Cherokee (XJ).  I'm into the whole thing for about $3k, 4.5" all spring lift, 31's.  The thing was a mess when I got it.  Replaced a bunch of body panels, etc, etc.  Sourced almost everything on CL.  Decent driver now.

IMO the FSJ Wagoneer is just about the perfect size SUV.  Big enough to carry 6 and all their gear but smaller than a Suburban.  This one is old enough I won't have to go through DEQ (the Cherokee is the first vehicle I've ever owned that had to do through DEQ, what a pain in the a$$).
'95 K75RT
'90 K75RT
'87 K100RS Motorsport
No, I am not cool.  Yes, it really is the journey.

Offline HCorn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2012, 07:47:59 PM »
Not sure if you're referring to the jackstands or the cherry-picker (guessing the cherry-picker).

Actually I was still referring to the 5 drawer chest.  I don't have any experience with the jackstands or cherry picker.  I've heard good (at least satisfactory) things about the hoist.  I'm not inclined to go under a vehicle supported by HF jackstands though. :eek2: :biggrin:
1986 K75T

Offline motodude

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2012, 08:19:20 PM »

Actually I was still referring to the 5 drawer chest.  I don't have any experience with the jackstands or cherry picker.  I've heard good (at least satisfactory) things about the hoist.  I'm not inclined to go under a vehicle supported by HF jackstands though. :eek2: :biggrin:

Yea, I realized as soon as I hit "send" that you're probably referring to the rollaway chest. :confused:

The jack-stands are actually quite stout and reasonably well made.  I bought ones that were vastly overrated for what I needed and I have no qualms about climbing under the Wagoneer. 

CRASH's picture of the RS on the lift gives me the willies though.  I can just see that bike falling on me.  I have zero experience w/ moto-lifts and while I can see the benefit of not having to get on the floor, I can also see the disaster of an improperly supported bike falling off a table 3 feet in the air.  And, it has nothing to do with the lift coming from HF.  And, I'm sure my fear is not rational.  :loco:
'95 K75RT
'90 K75RT
'87 K100RS Motorsport

Offline CRASH

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2012, 11:39:57 PM »
Actually it is a GT, not an RS ... way fatter than an RS.

Your fear is quite rational but these tables are amazingly stable if you are not a idiot.  I see guys lift bikes with no straps ... may as well just start looking for a new bike in my opinion.  But I have lifted some pretty heavy bikes on it (this one is about 700 pounds as she sits) and it is like a rock.

I saw HF trailers mentioned too ... I have one I got as payment for doing a service on an RTP - I have modded it a lot to fit my needs so I did not post it, but the trailer itself is solid as well.  Had two big bikes on it with no issues.
- CRASH -

Rick G

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2012, 12:19:24 AM »
  I'm not inclined to go under a vehicle supported by HF jackstands though. :eek2: :biggrin:
And, I'm sure my fear is not rational.  :loco:
[/quote]
Not at all I have a friend here who has been out of action for 2 years because the bike fell on him. He didn't have it strapped down but the idiot that sold it to him said it was not neccessary.  Mind I would strap it down even if the rest of the world said no need.

Offline motodude

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2012, 10:14:25 AM »
Actually it is a GT, not an RS ... way fatter than an RS.

Your fear is quite rational but these tables are amazingly stable if you are not a idiot.  I see guys lift bikes with no straps ... may as well just start looking for a new bike in my opinion.  But I have lifted some pretty heavy bikes on it (this one is about 700 pounds as she sits) and it is like a rock.

I saw HF trailers mentioned too ... I have one I got as payment for doing a service on an RTP - I have modded it a lot to fit my needs so I did not post it, but the trailer itself is solid as well.  Had two big bikes on it with no issues.

My mistake.  I thought it looked different, but GT isn't in my vocabulary.

Like I said, my fear has nothing to do with the lift coming from HF, bikes fall over on the ground everyday, one falling off a table next to where I'm standing is scary.  Folks also use moto-lifts everyday w/o any issues, but I suspect that there is a method for using them that works better than others.
'95 K75RT
'90 K75RT
'87 K100RS Motorsport

Offline motodude

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2012, 10:19:56 AM »
  I'm not inclined to go under a vehicle supported by HF jackstands though. :eek2: :biggrin:
And, I'm sure my fear is not rational.  :loco:
Not at all I have a friend here who has been out of action for 2 years because the bike fell on him. He didn't have it strapped down but the idiot that sold it to him said it was not neccessary.  Mind I would strap it down even if the rest of the world said no need.
[/quote]

The Wagoneer has a 4" lift so, unless I need to pull an axle, jack-stands are not really necessary.

As I indicated in the previous post, I'm sure there is a method for using a moto-lift that has more pleasant consequences than others.

Tom
'95 K75RT
'90 K75RT
'87 K100RS Motorsport

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2012, 07:44:50 PM »
Got one of these 'cause I had a 'for free' coupon, and it's great!  Zaps moths, spiders, even stuns hornets long enuf to step on em.  Don't use it as a swatter, just wave it around and let them fly into it.  Had a swarm of fruit flies in the kitchen and it got em all.  Well worth the $3 just for the entertainment.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
sold 6/23

Offline mystic red

• Retired Professsional Driver
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2012, 12:14:56 PM »
CRASH's picture of the RS on the lift gives me the willies though.  I can just see that bike falling on me.  I have zero experience w/ moto-lifts and while I can see the benefit of not having to get on the floor, I can also see the disaster of an improperly supported bike falling off a table 3 feet in the air.  And, it has nothing to do with the lift coming from HF.  And, I'm sure my fear is not rational

Not HF but you get the idea. The vise on this lift will stabilize a bike very well but without wheels I opted for the straps. :dunno2:

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2012, 06:52:21 PM »
I wish I'd found these magnetic metric nutsetters for $3.99 (w/ coupon) a  long time ago.  I know better than to use any torque on HF stuff but, since they're magnetic and relatively shallow, these should work great for starting nuts.

Also scored a magnetic parts tray for only $2.99. (w/ coupon)

Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2013, 01:40:01 PM »
Picked up these for about $10 with sales and coupons.  They're decent quality, especially for smaller nuts. Never really used 1/4" drive much until I got these. Couple things I love about them though is the small footprint of the holder, and the convenience of having all the sockets in one package.  Used to spend half my garage time looking for misplaced sockets, this thing is now my go-to set for most jobs under 14mm.  I marked the sizes on the holder with a paint marker, easier on the old eyes. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
sold 6/23

Offline Motorhobo

• +20 years of K75
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2014, 10:02:58 AM »
Old thread -- but so what.

These are great -- color coded. I have a socket set you need an electron microscope to read the freakin' numbers.

I always find new uses for these - so dirt cheap, can't go wrong

I'm sure this is absolute crap but I've fixed stripped threads on my K75 mirrors, mic stand thumbscrews and lots of other stuff, so if you don't have a tap and die set this is better'n nuttin'.

I've used this now for 2 spline lubes -- someday I'll graduate to the platform but this works great for my needs in my limited space right now.

This is an unadulterated piece of garbage. First time it tipped over, all the bearings on the rollers cascaded across the floor and within a month the weld points on the casters were failing. BUT -- I bought another one anyway as a cheap Xmas gift and used the receipt to return the broken one -- the HF sales guy didn't even look at the receipt, just handed me a new one. This one seems to be holding up better, but it's still garbage. Handy garbage though, I use it all the time and have gotten my money's worth out of the replacement.

I got the 1/4 drive for Xmas and bought the 3/8 drive on sale for $12. I read a bunch of reviews that said these things are better than the Craftsman stuff at 3X the price as long as you reset to 0 after each use. We'll see...I have a 3/8 bar-style one I can calibrate against.

I keep this in my beater car and have used it dozens of times...I don't think the ones you get at the auto parts stores are much better. It works to get whatever it is lifted so it can be supported, that's all it needs to do.

Also, I have an assortment of needlenoses, the precision tiny ones have come in very very handy, as have the long 11" ones. There's a lot of things I wouldn't get at HF like vise grips or anything that runs on electricity but for the dinky crap it's fine.

Van
1994/1995 K75 ABS Frankenbike: original engine 136k miles, frame from Gary Weaver (RIP), 173k miles -- Current Odometer: 193k miles
1994 K75 since 2013, 76,000 mi (11k mine) w/California Sidecar Friendship II Sidecar & Black Lab 'Miss B'

Past: 1974 Honda 550/4 (first bike), 1994 K75 (sold), 1995 K75 ABS (parts bike), Sidecar Dog & Best Bud 'Bo' - RIP

Offline Kyle10

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2014, 01:44:01 PM »
My new HF air gauge doesn't seem to be registering air pressure...?

Could be the issue. Harboring some buyer's remorse...

FAIL
1985 K100rt
1983 Honda VF750F

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road.
The other 2% made it home.

Offline Kyle10

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2014, 02:11:08 PM »
A must for any and all K bike riders

Yep, available at your local HF...

PASS
1985 K100rt
1983 Honda VF750F

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road.
The other 2% made it home.

Offline subforry

« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2014, 02:29:42 PM »
Junk http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-bolstered-screwdriver-set-94899.html
The bolt-head at the top is not connected to the screwdriver shaft.

To balance the good and the bad, here is an item that I am very happy with
http://www.harborfreight.com/120-led-rechargeable-under-hood-work-light-60793.html
  • Hermosa Beach, CA, USA
  • 1996 K1100RS
1981 Suzuki GS850G
1990 Suzuki Katana 1100 (GSX1100F) - sold
1996 BMW K1100RS
2009 BMW K1300GT

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2014, 10:43:38 PM »
I work around boats in a marina and we are always losing tools in the water.  All our wrenches are HF now because it doesn't hurt so much to hear them splash.

Would never buy anything with a motor or a cutting edge there.

My favorite purchases so far are the metric Allen wrench set http://www.harborfreight.com/metric-hex-wrench-system-9-pc-69084.html and the "hockey puck" LED light http://www.harborfreight.com/27-led-portable-worklightflashlight-69567-8869.html. 

I got the wrenches when I bought my bike last April, and have used them to take almost everything on it apart.  They fit perfectly, and show no wear at all after a lot of use.  The ball ends are surprisingly strong.

I must have bought a couple dozen of those lights.  I give them away and have them everywhere at home and on my boat, bike and in my cars.  One caveat though.  There seems to be two manufacturers of these lights and the ones with the shiny blue case are junk, look for the ones with the flat finish blue case.  They are on sale now for $3.  Will probably pick up a couple this weekend.

Another good deal is their tape measures.  Especially when they are on sale, or better yet, FREE.

• In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline wmax351

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2014, 01:39:21 PM »
Their el-cheapo stick welder does the job. http://www.harborfreight.com/70-amp-ac-120-volt-stick-welder-68888.html

Make sure to buy 1/16th electrodes though. It says it will do 3/32, I say it doesn't. Get some good 7014 or 6013 electrodes and it welds quite nicely. 6011 work too. They just have to all be 1/16th. I used it to fabricate and install a floorpan on my 1986 BMW 325es.
  • Albuquerque, NM
  • 91 BMW K75 Standard, 98 Moto Guzzi California EV
Bikes:
Current:1991 BMW K75 Standard, 1998 Moto Guzzi California EV11
Past: '83 BMW R65LS, '75 Honda CB550F, '69 Honda CB175, 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, 1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V, 1971 BMW R75/5 in Toaster outfit, 1979 Harley Davidson XLS-1000 Sportster Roadster

Offline leaton10

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2015, 09:18:54 PM »
A funny ad!
  • Lawrenceville, Ga.
  • 95 K75, 97 R1100RT, 05 K1200LT

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2015, 10:01:00 AM »
"Muppet-Grade" Right there's a worthy benchmark goal!
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Tags: