Author Topic: New to Motobrick - Jumping In!  (Read 536 times)

Offline Dad3Sons

• Curious
New to Motobrick - Jumping In!
« on: August 07, 2023, 05:28:52 PM »
Motobrick Forum Gods -

Just acquired a "new to me" 1996 K1100. I did a lot of lurking through the Motobrick site on issues before I bought, so I think I was well forewarned about common problems.

I actually read the search guidance, posting guidance, and photo guidance threads. (At least the important parts at the beginnings....) But forgive me if I transgress the protocols. I"ll have to build a gallery to post my bike pics I guess...

There are a few issues that I want to fix over the first few weeks of ownership:

- The front tire has a date code from 2007. I don't know if a PO bought an NOS tire or it really hasn't been changed in almost 16 years. I ordered a new tire already.

- The PO said the cooling fan does not activate when the coolant reaches the target temperature. I know there is guidance on testing the fan motor, sensor and relay. The bike stays at an appropriate temperature while at speed, but warms while negotiating slow traffic or pulling long hills behind traffic.

- the PO was a shorter stature fellow and removed significant seat foam to be able to touch the ground. I am taller and need the seat padding as my inseam length is ample to touch both feet on the ground. Is there a source for a reproduction seat foam replacement?

Thanks in advance!!

Joe C. from NorCal-
  • Marysville, CA, USA
  • K1100; 85 GL1200 Gold Wing; 96 Kawasaki Concours; 07 Kawasaki KLR650; 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX500; 69 Yamaha CT-1 175 Enduro
Joe C. from NorCal

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: New to Motobrick - Jumping In!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 06:16:19 PM »
Welcome!  The Brick cooling fan does not get a lot of love from owners, and it's well deserved.  The brush holders melt and the motor bearing seize.  There are several threads here on how to replace it with a Spal fan.  I have replace two of the OEM fans over the years, and once you have the radiator out, it's not a very bad job. 

As far as the seat foam, the best way to handle that is to take the seat to an upholsterer who works on motorcycles and explain what you want.  They will add new foam and carve it to what the seat needs.  You can also watch for a used seat on the interweb.  With all the old bricks being hacked into scramblers and cafe bikes, used seat are not terribly rare.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Martin

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 06:32:56 PM »
If you're not battling traffic or slow climbs in hot weather the fan rarely comes on. This inactivity leads to problems as described by TMG. The cure is to put an override switch in so that the fan can be exercised occasionally. With a switch in the system you can hear that the fan is working circumventing any problems. Due to living in a hot part of Oz as soon as I get into heavy traffic I turn the fan on.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2023, 06:56:58 PM »
That seat is a Russell Day Long made by Russell Cycle Products just outside of Redding.          https://day-long.com/

It looks like the previous owner ditched the side covers - probably to get the seat that low.

The front fender is missing its reflector.

https://i.imgur.com/3fFV7r3.jpg

The easiest way to mount the Spal fan:
http://www.kbikeparts.com/classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/fans/fans.htm

Looks like a nice clean specimen. Congrats!

Some links:
http://bit.ly/new2kbikes
http://bit.ly/kbikemandm

Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Dad3Sons

• Curious
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2023, 08:13:50 PM »
Thanks Duck - I have the side covers. Also didn’t realize Russell products was so
Close to me - about a 2 hour drive. Looking forward to this project!

Still trying to navigate the photo posting/gallery/category/insert photo thing. Can’t figure out/remember how I posted the first pic….. :wink:
  • Marysville, CA, USA
  • K1100; 85 GL1200 Gold Wing; 96 Kawasaki Concours; 07 Kawasaki KLR650; 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX500; 69 Yamaha CT-1 175 Enduro
Joe C. from NorCal

Offline stokester

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2023, 08:16:17 PM »
Nice looking brick!  Welcome to the forum.
I replaced the fan assembly on one of my K75 with this ->. https://www.tills.de/product-112-113-158.html
The shipping prices from Germany look to have increased substantially but it is a quality product and a complete plug-n-play.
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline Lance

• Directly above the center of the earth 🌍
  • Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2023, 10:11:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum
I have very little knowledge of these bikes , but own 2 of them now
A 86 C and a 92 standard ( for lack of a better word)
Tons of knowledge here
  • In my garage
  • 1986 k75C 1987 BMW 325i vert

Offline Dad3Sons

• Curious
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2023, 11:18:22 PM »
Forum Gods -

I"m slow to pick up the whole gallery/catergory/photo posting protocols.

It's been so hot in NorCal I had to remove the lower fairing to try to move more air around my legs. I had a C10 Concours I did the same thing to and it helped immensely.

My cooling fan does not activate. I"ll be pulling it out this week.

• Marysville, CA, USA
Joe C. from NorCal

Tags: k1100lt