Author Topic: Buying a used rear shock on a tight budget.  (Read 3138 times)

Offline ExpatAussieBrick

• Motobrick Curious
Buying a used rear shock on a tight budget.
« on: October 03, 2019, 02:28:18 PM »
Hey guys,

Wanted to get an opinion on these progressive shock options. My 1992 K75S still has the stock shock from the factory on it and it's crap.

Bottoms out on NYC pot holes often especially two up even on the highest setting.

Hard to say if this first shock is an absolute bargain or if it's junk. Trying to replace my shock on a very tight budget.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bmw-K75-K100-Progressive-Rear-Shock/223678439563?hash=item341446208b:g:YcsAAOSwnPldiTWd

Alternatively looking at this one but it's still $200 with shipping only $99 less than a brand new one from Bobs BMW.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-K-100-K-75-Progressive-suspensions-rear-shock/293249902405?hash=item44470e6745:g:xGMAAOSwGOJdldA4
  • Sydney Australia
  • Bluebottle Blu 1992 BMW K75S

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Buying a used rear shock on a tight budget.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 02:38:24 PM »
I'd reject the first selection because its usage history is unknown. The second is a better possibility for a temporary solution to reduce wear and increase control of your moto right now but a new strut with more exacting sag setting and convenient rebound damping adjustment is the way I went when replacing the one on my moto. Two-up riding over potholes is part of my life and quick rebound adjustment makes a positive difference when alternating to solo riding.

• Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Soggz

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • 2 wheels are better than 4,but 4 wheels,2 bikes...
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 02:47:55 PM »
I bought YSS shock with unrated spring. Great for 2 up with luggage. I’m in the uk and it was around £130.00.
  • Down in Selwood Forest
  • 1986 K75C, 1982 Honda CX500EC Eurostreetbrat
One More Of These,One Less Of Those...

Offline ExpatAussieBrick

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 02:56:35 PM »
Valid points. I do see that I will want a better shock than the progressive in the near future. But right now anything would be better than my stock shock.

Cheers mate about the YSS shock they seem great for the price only issue is I want to get something for next weekend and all the ones on ebay appear to be in the UK.
  • Sydney Australia
  • Bluebottle Blu 1992 BMW K75S
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 05:48:43 PM »
Sent you a PM
  • NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Offline Past-my-Prime

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • All of us are better when we're loved.
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 10:05:26 PM »
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/302279030865?hash=item46613bf851:g:tc8AAOSwdU5gc-8j

vs

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/124870104776?hash=item1d12d696c8:g:~3cAAOSwBBVhJnBh

vs

https://www.beemershop.com/product/yss-z-series-rear-shock-damping-length-manual-pre-load-adj-k75-k100-except-16v-rs.html

or

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/133901392649?hash=item1f2d251b09:g:Z1UAAOSwx3FhZKXG

which is probably what I already have or close enough

vs

whatever else is out there?

I know next to nothing about shocks. Hell, I don't know if mine is bad. But I think it is; feels like a bit like a marshmallow and is 32 years old and I'd like to replace but looking here there and everywhere, I don't really know what to pick. So I thought I'd pick the brains of the brain trust. . . any sure-fire way to know first if I'm wasting my time and second, if I'm not, and I'm not a millionaire, where should I go?

OK, I do know that they have a spring that allows compression, and they have damping so it doesn't just bounce around, and the compression damping and rebound damping can be different. That's all I actually know about motorcycle suspension.

Thanks for reading. And for telling me something more about motorcycle suspension if you have the inclination.
  • North Shore of Lake Superior (in my garage)
  • BRICK: 1989 K75 RT - Rocinante; NON-BRICK: 2007 F650 GS Dakar - Betty Blue

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 10:24:45 PM »
I know next to nothing about shocks. Hell, I don't know if mine is bad.
You might find this explanation helpful.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 07:49:28 AM »
I've had 8 or 9 shocks for K bikes pass through my garage.  I got them on the bikes, and I've bought them new and used off of eBay and from on line sellers.

For a new shock, I have been very satisfied with YSS.  They ask a few questions and set up a shock with the spring.  The one I have on my 16 valve K100 is pretty nice and performs very close to the Fox Twin Clicker.

Fox Twin Clickers are nice, but no longer available new.  Once you get it dialed in the ride is very good.  There are sources on the interweb for rebuild parts, and they are not terribly hard to rebuild if you have a few tools like a spring compressor.  They can be found on eBay for between $150 and $200.

I've had two Works Performance shocks.  They are also good units and are easily rebuildable.  Parts are also available for them on the web.  I got one on eBay for a bit over $100.  I had another that I had to rebuild.  It cost about $90 to have new seals installed.  Again, these shocks come up on eBay from time to time for under $200, sometimes a bunch less. 

OEM shocks are okay, they keep the rear end of the bike off of the wheel.  I have a good one here that I will use to replace the aftermarket shock on a bike when I sell it if I have to cut the price a lot.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline motohippy

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2021, 10:20:47 AM »
Sometimes ebay smiles upon you...Picked up a used Wilbers 632 last year for little more than a new Progressive.  It turned 'maybe it's time for a new bike' into 'I'm gonna ride this thing forever'
If you can afford to be patient, you might get lucky.
  • SE PA
  • '88-ish K75S

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 02:36:28 PM »
Because of the single sided swingarm on BMW bikes, you pretty much have to get a shock specifically designed for K bikes and possibly a few Paralever equipped R's.

The problem in finding a lot of alternatives is that the shock is installed in the same way as a bike with a two sided swing arm, but the single shock has to provide two shocks worth of spring rate and damping.

Then, most monoshock bikes have shocks that are much shorter and have more mechanical advantage than the Monolever requiring even higher spring and damping rates.

This makes shocks for our bikes essentially oddball parts which makes them scarce and expensive.  Fortunately, as bikes are retired and parted out a lot of good aftermarket shocks are coming onto the used market.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline stokester

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 05:19:25 PM »
For a new shock, I have been very satisfied with YSS.  They ask a few questions and set up a shock with the spring.  The one I have on my 16 valve K100 is pretty nice and performs very close to the Fox Twin Clicker.
Agree about the YSS.

I spoke with Ted Porter at an MOA rally many years ago about shocks.  He sells Wilbers and YSS for the K75S and recommended to me the YSS as the best bang for the buck.  I've bought two, one for each of my K75Ss taking off an OEM and a Progressive.  He used my weight and riding for the initial settings which I've found to be good.

Not sure if you are in Australia or the US but you can have my old Progressive for postage.  PM if interested.
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Tags: