Author Topic: New to Brick-world in Round Hill, Alberta, Canada  (Read 94 times)

Offline jiggseob

• Curious
New to Brick-world in Round Hill, Alberta, Canada
« on: March 27, 2024, 12:01:09 AM »
Just picked up a new-to-me 1992 K75 RT. 97k kilometers (60k miles) on odometer.  Missing some stuff, right side cover, left side  fairing compartment cover.

PO looks like they dropped low speed on right side, so radiator surround and fairing lower are scuffed and need some love or replacement.  I'm not big on having a "pristine" looking bike, but I do like things that are reliable. 

The bottom tail of the right side of the fairing lower is not bolted on to anything.  The left side is bracketed to the engine.  I'd like to have a photo of that right side bracket, and where it bolts onto the engine.  If someone has an RT, could you please snap and post a picture of how the right-side fairing lower is bracketed and supported.

Theres a crack in the upper fairing right under the windshield.  Something I would "repair".  Whats the best repair method?  Wire mesh and JB weld metal epoxy?  Fiberglas cloth and some resin?  Martha Stewarts glue gun?  Advice appreciated.

I am a somewhat klutzy motorcyclist, in that I ride in adventurous places like dirt/gravel roads, and tilted places.  Not being on flat, level, hard pavement all the time, I occasionally "drop" my bike on its side.  This RT model looks like broken stuff every time I drop it.  My Kawasaki KLR 650 is like that, an expensive aluminum radiator on the right side.  For my KLR, I fabricated guard bars to protect engine and plastics when (not if) I drop it.  I'd like to buy or fabricate guard bars for my K75 RT.  Does anyone have guard bars on an RT that can snap a couple photos of how they are shaped and how they bolt-on.

Can't wait for the glaciers to recede and riding weather to happen in Alberta Canada....

• Round Hill, Alberta, Canada
  • 1992 K75RT with ABS

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: New to Brick-world in Round Hill, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 08:54:01 AM »
Welcome! 

To answer your questions, I do my repairs with fiberglass and polyester resin.

The parts fiche at MaxBMW will show you all the parts for your bike, as well as their approximate location. 

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51743&rnd=07242017

Crash bars are pretty much a waste of time and money on the brick.  The factory bars are designed to break away, doing extra damage to the lower fairing.  The problem is that they are bolted to the bottom of the oil pan which is an aluminum casting and doesn't have much strength.  If they were attached firmly to it, you would dump all the oil every time the bike is dropped. 

The RT is essentially a long distance pavement cruiser.  If you want to run with the adventure guys, I would suggest removing the lower fairing panels and the mirror pods.  You can mount mirrors on the handlebars easily as there are mounting holes in the switch housings.

You might be able to fabricate crash bars, but it will be difficult to attach them as there are no engine mounts below the cylinder head. There is a thread here somewhere of a bike that was built to go around the world.  The builder had created some crash bars that looked like they would work, but as I recall they were somewhat bulky.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline jiggseob

• Curious
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2024, 11:59:53 AM »
Thanks Mr Mighty Grypon, My quick-look at how the K75 is built concurs with the comment about functional protective crash bars being generally un-doable, due to the lack of good-solid attachment points.  In the event of a drop, one would prefer a crunched lower fairing, rather than a crunched oil-dumping hole in the cast oil pan or camshaft cover.

I am generally not accepting of the "un-doable", such as taking on a somewhat blemished 30+ year old motorcycle and making a decent ride out of it.  As I go through this bike to get it road-ready, I will be on the lookout for point(s) to attach functional crash bars. 
  • 1992 K75RT with ABS

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2024, 12:31:26 PM »
K75RTP wide police bike crash bars are rare, even in Europe where K75 police Bricks were common. I've only seen two offered in the US on eBay in 12 years and one of those was incomplete. Here's how they look on one member's ride; maybe they'll be inspiring.

• Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline jiggseob

• Curious
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2024, 10:12:21 PM »
Thank you Laitch.  Inspiring for sure, indicates at least some do-ability.

The look of the wide police bars is somewhat debatable, but at the risk of appearing to be some sort of bush-basher, I like the protection that those bars look like they might afford.  Is that member still active on this (or another) forum, I'd be interested to see more detailed photos of the attachment points.

Heres a couple pics of the new to me brick.  Yes, I have the mirrors and bags and one of the side covers.  Missing a side-cover and a fairing compartment cover.

* 92 RT Left.jpg (67.66 kB . 768x576 - viewed 4 times)

* 92 RT right.jpg (64.37 kB . 768x576 - viewed 4 times)

• 1992 K75RT with ABS

Tags: