TECHNICAL MOTOBRICK WRENCHING In Remembrance of Inge K. > Project Sidecar Motobricks

1985 K100 Repairs

(1/5) > >>

DirtyDR:
 Now that Winter will hopefully be settling in soon I decided to roll the K100/EML sidecar rig in the shop and start on some much needed repair work. The final drive has been leaking so bad I can barely keep lube in it long enough to run to the store with it. It still has the original 16 spline drive and shaft so I have purchased a good low mileage 20 spline final drive and drive shaft to replace them with. The grub screw in the transmission has backed out so it will be repaired also. With 150,000 on the bike I am also wondering if I should keep going and replace the output shaft with a 12 rivet shaft also since I am that far in to it and from what I have heard from a couple of friends that have pretty much the same setup you really do not want to have to pull the transmission and such any more than necessary because of that EML frame. I am sure somewhere along the way I will be confused and in need of support but you never know it could all just go peachy.

A few pictures of the start.

DirtyDR:
After a couple of evenings work I now have this in the shop.

That last is a pretty good shot of the EML frame and the others you can kind of see the nice dual sided swing arm and leading link front end I also have to deal with. When I get back over there next weekend I will try to remember to get some good pictures of that swing arm and front end for those who are curious about how to do rude things to a nice old motobrick.

TrueAce:
Thanks for taking pics and sharing.............this will be an interesting series. :euro

sj2000:
Wow, this is nice.

DirtyDR:
I did not get much done with the bike this weekend since I had house and yard stuff to deal with before Winter hits and I am only over at  the house on weekends. Nice thing is once Winter does finally get here I will nothing else to do there except work on the bike.

I took a bunch of pictures of the sidecar mounting and the EML frame on the bike, in case anyone is interested they are all here; https://dirtydr.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/K100-EML-Frame/
I may need these to remember how things go back together also since it will undoubtedly be a few months before I am at that stage.

A few pictures to tease:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version