Author Topic: K75 throttle bodies needed, have stuff to trade  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Motorhobo

• +20 years of K75
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
K75 throttle bodies needed, have stuff to trade
« on: June 01, 2022, 08:57:38 AM »
I dinked with my throttle bodies back before anybody had told me not to, plus I actually disassembled my spare one to 'clean' it not knowing I'd be too incompetent to put it back together properly and the bike has not run like it should ever since.

I'll be swapping engines out on the K75 I bought from Gary Weaver (RIP) back in 2017 and would like to have some factory-perfect throttle bodies. I could probably get them cheap from ebay but who knows whether they were also dinked with by some dumbass over the years. So if anyone has any untouched throttle bodies lying around, I could use them. I have a lot of spare parts to trade, as I parted out my first bike and most of it is still stored in totes in the attic. The only thing I don't want to part with is the 50 amp alternator, tank, and wheels...everything else is on the table. I do have a spare driveshaft with worn splines but if anyone is looking for an extra to send out to get refurbished, that might be a good trade item.

1994/1995 K75 ABS Frankenbike: original engine 136k miles, frame from Gary Weaver (RIP), 173k miles -- Current Odometer: 193k miles
1994 K75 since 2013, 76,000 mi (11k mine) w/California Sidecar Friendship II Sidecar & Black Lab 'Miss B'

Past: 1974 Honda 550/4 (first bike), 1994 K75 (sold), 1995 K75 ABS (parts bike), Sidecar Dog & Best Bud 'Bo' - RIP

Offline FlatSix

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: K75 throttle bodies needed, have stuff to trade
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 11:06:41 AM »
There is a fellow in AZ who goes by the Instagram handle of ditstang.  He rebuilt my throttle bodies a while back for a reasonable price and damn if they didn't look and operate just like brand new when I got them back.  Dude knows his stuff.

He might be of some assistance for you.
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project
1971 Triumph Bonneville -sold to a couple young female tattoo artists

Offline Motorhobo

• +20 years of K75
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 01:17:31 PM »
Thanks - just curious about the rebuild. Why did you think it was necessary? I thought those things were built for life once they come out of the factory. As I recall there are no rubber bits in there to replace and as long as you don't dink with the screws they don't require any maintenance.
1994/1995 K75 ABS Frankenbike: original engine 136k miles, frame from Gary Weaver (RIP), 173k miles -- Current Odometer: 193k miles
1994 K75 since 2013, 76,000 mi (11k mine) w/California Sidecar Friendship II Sidecar & Black Lab 'Miss B'

Past: 1974 Honda 550/4 (first bike), 1994 K75 (sold), 1995 K75 ABS (parts bike), Sidecar Dog & Best Bud 'Bo' - RIP

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 04:32:34 PM »
There is a video on YouTube by a guy who balances throttle bodies with small ball bearings.  Essentially, he puts a ball in each throttle body and adjusts them until all the ball bearings drop at the same time when the throttle is slowly opened.  From there, any imbalance can be adjusted out with the idle air screw.

Warning: He has a tendency to ramble.

• In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline FlatSix

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 09:31:32 AM »
Thanks - just curious about the rebuild. Why did you think it was necessary? I thought those things were built for life once they come out of the factory. As I recall there are no rubber bits in there to replace and as long as you don't dink with the screws they don't require any maintenance.

Good question.  When I bought my bike it came in boxes as the prior owner had completely disassembled it and sold off some parts to build it into some sort of cafe.  (He told me he happened into a newer K and decided to go with that one instead.)  I had thoughts of restoring it to original with every wear item replaced, parts updated if possible and renewed to better than new  :laughing1:  The throttle bodies were so covered with muck I wasn't sure they were operational.  I contacted the fellow mentioned above and sent them off to him.  He returned them in beautiful condition.  Price was very reasonable at the time.  Not sure what he would charge today it's been a couple years.  He is still doing K stuff on Instagram.

Sorry I don't have a "before" picture but attached is the picture of them when I unpacked them when they returned. 

Dave
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project
1971 Triumph Bonneville -sold to a couple young female tattoo artists

Offline Motorhobo

• +20 years of K75
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2022, 07:16:56 AM »
There is a video on YouTube by a guy who balances throttle bodies with small ball bearings.  Essentially, he puts a ball in each throttle body and adjusts them until all the ball bearings drop at the same time when the throttle is slowly opened.  From there, any imbalance can be adjusted out with the idle air screw.

Warning: He has a tendency to ramble.

That's amazing - thanks Gryph! I will definitely try that with the extra set of TBs I have before I do anything else. I thing I even have a ball bearing lying around somewhere. Yeah -- he rambles but fortunately they added the Playback Speed option in YouTube. Not so bad at 2X...

BTW thanks for the post FlatSix - they do look awesome but for my daily rider they'd be conspicuously out of character with what the rest of the bike looks like. I'm looking for the quick, dirty and cheap :-)

Tags: