Author Topic: Is there a trick to getting the bike up onto the center stand ?  (Read 270 times)

Offline xcaret

• Motobrick Curious
Is there a trick to getting the bike up onto the center stand ?
« on: September 11, 2021, 10:30:53 AM »
I just got a great K75 RT ,and am getting used to it . I am having the same problem I had with another BMW I owned .
How do I get it up on the center stand ??  The book says to step on the center stand and with your right hand lifting up and back. I'm partly afraid the bike may fall on the right side once I heave all my strength into it. I'm 5'9" 175 lbs, and I'm sure others can get their bikes up on the center stands .
I hope there's something I'm not aware of to make this easier .

• Shepard in my garage
  • 1991 k75

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Is there a trick to getting the bike up onto the center stand ?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 10:35:07 AM »
Page 5 here:

http://www.kbikeparts.com/classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/optips/Operating_Tips_For_A_K75_or_2V_K100.pdf

If you have weight on the center stand with the ball of your right foot and are pulling up and back on the fold-out lever I think you'd be hard pressed to lay the bike down on the right side.

ETA: It also helps if you don't have any loaded luggage on the rear.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 11:08:53 AM »
What works for this 73 year old fart is putting the side stand down before dismounting.  Turn the bars to the right and get off letting the bike rest on the side stand.

Then gently lift the bike off the side stand while you hold the center stand down with your right foot.  Grab the lifting handle and straighten the bars while holding the center stand down and carefully lean the bike over to get both center stand feet on the ground.  Make sure to have your weight on the center stand and you will feel the other foot make contact.

Once you feel the bike on both of the feet, pull up on the lift handle and push down with your foot on the center stand while you pull back on the left handle bar.  The bike is heavy and you might have to jerk on the handle, but once it starts to move it will flop back onto the stand.

If the bike has been lowered by moving the forks up in the clamps and a shorter rear shock it can get real hard to get it up on the center stand because you are lifting the 500+ pounds of the bike an extra 3/4" to get it on the stand.   

• In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '94 K75RT Mystic Red, '91K100RS White/Blue, '89 K100RS Special edition White/Blue
Current:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'91 K100RS "Moby Brick Too
'89 K100RS SE
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline rbm

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 11:31:59 AM »
I was told by a friend many years ago to press on the foot of the centre stand as if you are going to push it all the way to China.  I do that, as well as pull straight up on the lift handle.  Both of those forces gets the bike on the centre stand reliably, for me.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline xcaret

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 12:06:31 PM »
Thanks for the advise . one thing I had not been doing was being sure the bike was in neutral. I'm at home hiding from the rain today, but will go to the garage and do what you all have said to do.. I feel quite confident now. 
  • Shepard in my garage
  • 1991 k75

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 03:21:50 PM »
One more thing, it helps a lot to be wearing hard sole boots or shoes.  Shoes with soft soles make it a lot harder.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '94 K75RT Mystic Red, '91K100RS White/Blue, '89 K100RS Special edition White/Blue
Current:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'91 K100RS "Moby Brick Too
'89 K100RS SE

Offline alabrew

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 04:18:29 PM »
A sagging rear shock can make it more difficult.

If these techniques don't work for you, you might consider laying a 1/2" or 3/4" piece of plywood on the floor where the rear wheel ends up, that little extra can help.

I could put my '02 K12LT on the CS wearing crocks. The '05 and '08 have the sweet electric hydraulic CS, so just push a button.

At that time, up to '07 when I lost the '02 to an accident, My "working weight" was about 235 pounds. I'm still 5" 10", but I'm happy to report that I'm down to 175.

I pop that '85 and '91RS up without a thought. I always park on the CS of all my bikes. The R65 is a bear as it has a ball on the end of the foot leaver and you need boots.
  • Birmingham, Alabama
  • 1985 K100, 1991 K100RS
Also:
2005 K1200LT
1979 R65
200,000 miles on BMW motorcycles

Offline beemuker

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 04:29:31 PM »
I can get my K11 up on the stand, but sometimes it takes more than 1 try. I'm down to about 150.If I'm tired, I can't do it at all.
  • Panama City, FL
  • '93 K1100LT,'00 R1100RT,past tense :94 R1100RS K75s, Honda NC700, Suzuki Bandit 1200, bmw R75/5 Honda 750

Offline Scott_

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 09:55:20 PM »
Check what tires you have on the bike.
I once tried a set of tires that were wider/shorter than the stock tire, and it made the bike a real booger to get up on the center stand.......
  • My Garage
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (R.I.P.)
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

Offline daveson

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2021, 05:07:15 AM »
Sometimes I use my right knee to push against my right hand, then you don't even use your back to get it on the centre stand.

Your centre stand might be like one of my bricks, it leans slightly to the right when it's on both feet, giving the uncomfortable feeling it might tip to the right, but it won't cause it's on two feet.

Looking at my centre stand, it seems to be twisted, maybe from repetitive repositioning after it was raised. That also means it has to be pulled further back than normal. One of my bricks gets lifted higher than the others, and one lower, the luck of the draw.
  • Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'85 K100RT~100,000km; four other bricks. Past; 1500 Vulcan, V Star 650, KLX 250(dirt bike) TT250(dirt bike)

Offline xcaret

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 08:54:21 PM »
Thanks to everyone on here I finally got the hang of getting my bike up on  the center stand . I tried a little bit of each reply ,and it's a piece if cake now.  I had not been puting the bike in neutral, and hadn't had both arms of the centerstand flat on the floor .Nor had I had the handle bars straight .
 Because of my being nervous that the bike might topple over on  the right , I had been leaning the bike a buit toward me .. It took a little courage to give a pull up once the stands feet were both fully flat on the floor ,but once I had everything set ,it surprised me that it was so easy .. I must admit before my attempt ,I made sure there was several large boxes on the right side that I cushioned with blankets incase the bike fell over . Ha,ha. I practised it several more times over the next few days . Now it's kinda natural.
Thanks everyone
  • Shepard in my garage
  • 1991 k75

Tags: