Author Topic: High Rev in Idle  (Read 588 times)

Offline Steviescumbag

• Motobrick Curious
High Rev in Idle
« on: July 14, 2021, 05:50:51 PM »
Hey guys. I have a 1992 K75 RT that I have converted to a naked bike. I havenít rode my bike in a few weeks and recently I took off my gas tank to relocate my ignition to the right side of the bike. After putting my tank back on I tried starting it and like a noob I forgot to reconnect the 2 fuel lines on the left and some gas spilled . I cleaned it as soon as possible. A day later I went for a ride (today) and it seems my moto is reving super high when I pull in the clutch or have it in neutral. Any suggestions what could be causing this?
  • Toronto, Canada
  • 1992 bmw K75 Rt

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: High Rev in Idle
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 06:23:52 PM »
Make sure you didn't accidentally rotate the TPS as that will hold the throttle open.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 07:06:39 PM »
I would make sure I didn't disturb the throttle cable moving the tank around. 

Down by the throttle bodies there is a quadrant that the throttle cable pulls to open the throttle butterflies.  Make sure the throttle stop screw is touching the stop when the throttle is closed and the engine is idling.  It doesn't need to be very far from bottomed to cause a high idle speed.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '94 K75RT Mystic Red, '91K100RS White/Blue, '89 K100RS Special edition White/Blue
Current:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'91 K100RS "Moby Brick Too
'89 K100RS SE

Offline Steviescumbag

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 09:06:58 PM »
With your help I realized that the pin isnít touching the metal and there is no click when I open the throttle. How can I fix this problem. It seems pretty high and I donít know how it got this far away from the 2 touching. Could it be something blacking IT?

• Toronto, Canada
  • 1992 bmw K75 Rt

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 09:19:24 PM »
Check both the TPS position as well as the adjustment up where the throttle cable enters the right perch on the handlebars.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 11:03:08 PM »
The outer jacket of the throttle cable needs to be firmly bottomed in the fittings at both ends.  If you displaced the throttle cable when moving the tank around you may have pulled the jacket out of the fitting at one or both of the end fittings.  Most likely it's at the point where the cable goes through the forks near the steering head and goes under the tank.  You probably need to pull the tank again to see what is going on with the cable.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '94 K75RT Mystic Red, '91K100RS White/Blue, '89 K100RS Special edition White/Blue
Current:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'91 K100RS "Moby Brick Too
'89 K100RS SE

Offline Steviescumbag

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 06:46:25 PM »
Hey guys. So I figured it out. Easy fix. What happened was not that the throttle line was pinched but it was in an awkward position that was not letting the throttle close. Itís a sensitive line and just certain positions can cause this to happen. Thanks for the help family!
  • Toronto, Canada
  • 1992 bmw K75 Rt

Tags: