Author Topic: Your K75 Adventure is waiting..!!  (Read 19885 times)

Offline MEZ

• Never surrender always busy
  • ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • once dead soon forgotten dream big aim high
Your K75 Adventure is waiting..!!
« on: January 01, 2018, 05:46:00 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Angel of the North
  • GS12adv '06, K75 GSadv, CRF500L 'special'

Offline The Dude

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
Re: K75 Adventure is waiting..!!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 12:14:29 PM »
Awsome effort.interesting original solutions.I guess you haven't fixed that sound system on yet? :2thumbup:
Happy adventures,I'm on one at the moment as far from home as you can get but not on my bike.Sigh.
  • Auckland, New Zealand
  • K75s
Current.
TR6R 1973 from new.
Moto guzzi 850 III .1983 from,almost, new.
K75S 1986 from new.vin-0103141
On my second millionth km.give or take a hundred k Kay's.
"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there."
All the best!

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 02:01:18 PM »
does it need the snorkel AND pontoons? :hehehe
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Skunky

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 04:53:15 PM »
 :clap:   Has it been built for a particular adventure? because the Berlin wall has already been knocked down.
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
Rebuild it and they will come..
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline MEZ

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 05:29:19 PM »

What's this...... Motobrickers with a sense of humour, don't let the mods see it happening or we'll all get thrown off..!!

Anyway, regardless of anything, this machine is going around the world my fellow Brickers. I've built it to bounce of things, intimidate humans and preditors, carry all my shit, keep me warm on the hoof, shower me with hot water on demand, and last but not least, 450  mile between petrol stops. It may humour a lot of folk, it may repulse some but one thing for sure, it's as unique as they come and will intrigue genuine petrol heads and travelling folk alike..!!
Basically this build has been one of my most progressive in terms of how the concept design has changed from 'basic travel bike' into an exercise of Madmax engineering excellence . You'll love it in the flesh I guarantee...!!!

• Angel of the North

Offline MEZ

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 05:31:19 PM »

Awsome effort.interesting original solutions.I guess you haven't fixed that sound system on yet? :2thumbup:
Happy adventures,I'm on one at the moment as far from home as you can get but not on my bike.Sigh.

I had to bin the sound system idea and go for blue tooth farkles instead, gutted...!!!
  • Angel of the North

Offline Skunky

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 06:12:30 PM »
And if the Zombie apocalypse should occur, you will be prepared  :yow.
 :clap: I applaud your build. Had I been undertaking a similar challenge I probably would have been lazy and bought a Triumph Tiger.
I love the idea of big speakers. The Ride of the Valkyries blaring out would certainly make an impression. 
What upgrades have you made for the rough stuff and extra weight?.
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline MEZ

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 01:28:45 AM »

And if the Zombie apocalypse should occur, you will be prepared  :yow .
 :clap: I applaud your build. Had I been undertaking a similar challenge I probably would have been lazy and bought a Triumph Tiger.
I love the idea of big speakers. The Ride of the Valkyries blaring out would certainly make an impression. 
What upgrades have you made for the rough stuff and extra weight?.
Hi Skunks, long story short, Alf Hagon rear remote rebound shock with uprated spring. Beefed mounting points. 50mm extension on swingarm + shaft. Front forks are 50mm KTM 'Extremes' again with one-off wound springs. Custom built 17/19" rear/front wheels with 4mm s/s spokes. TKC80's.
  • Angel of the North

Offline K1300S

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 06:11:28 AM »
Is the platform behind the rider for the howitzer gun turrent on that tank? ;-)

Seriously, what is your expected fully loaded weight with rider?  500kg?  sounds like you have beefed up several components.  for the weight expected and abuse planned....final drive, driveshaft splines, transmission, clutch up to it?
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 07:29:33 AM »
I'd love to see a video of it in action  :riding:

Any chance?
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline Skunky

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 01:51:37 PM »
Hi Skunks, long story short, Alf Hagon rear remote rebound shock with uprated spring. Beefed mounting points. 50mm extension on swingarm + shaft. Front forks are 50mm KTM 'Extremes' again with one-off wound springs. Custom built 17/19" rear/front wheels with 4mm s/s spokes. TKC80's.

I'd like to see more photo's, and you must Start a thread for the big trip. I'm looking forward to following the adventure.
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline MEZ

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 03:12:37 PM »

Is the platform behind the rider for the howitzer gun turrent on that tank? ;-)

Seriously, what is your expected fully loaded weight with rider?  500kg?  sounds like you have beefed up several components.  for the weight expected and abuse planned....final drive, driveshaft splines, transmission, clutch up to it?

Targeted weight is about the same or slightly less than a laden GS which with the lesser HP engine of the K75 wont hinder my performance targets too much. I want to pootle and see the world not blast through breaking overlanding records in the process..!!  500kg fully fuelled two up fully kitted out ready for Zombies isn't too far away from a realistic weight. I focused heavily on weight when giving details to the suspension guy but don't have them to hand right now. The whole running theme of the bike is bomb proof but sad to say it's a BMW at the end of the day and BMW's break there drive shafts so I have done as much as I can but you cant beef up a drive shaft you can only maintain one and have a good back up plan in place ( ie; have one sitting on a shelf parcelled up ready for Feddex to collect..!!
  • Angel of the North

Offline The Dude

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 07:36:47 AM »
Hey Mez,the brick is bullet proof.Including the drive components.There is one thing from my experience that may be a problem the fatigue failure of the rear subframe around the shock mount and on both sides from booting it on dirt road with corrugations.The cracks propagated from the underneath of the tubes an I found out about it when I lifted the back end to swing the bike into a tight parking spot.The tail went up too far when I lifted it!I suspect you have beefed up the shock mount at the top.

I welded webs in the crook of the tubes at the top and beneath both sides which required a bit of seat base cutting to close the seat and a hole drilled in the web that covered the access to the screw that holds the helmet lock(I think) or was it the catch mechanism the seat locks into.
If you're splines are good and lubed and that gear leaver grub screw is well in I would proceed with confidence.In my experience,from witnessing others,the most likely issue will be crash damage writing the bike off with this machine.I haven't done that yet myself.....
  • Auckland, New Zealand
  • K75s
Current.
TR6R 1973 from new.
Moto guzzi 850 III .1983 from,almost, new.
K75S 1986 from new.vin-0103141
On my second millionth km.give or take a hundred k Kay's.
"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there."
All the best!

Offline MEZ

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 08:13:07 AM »
Yo Dude, good to get opinions on the engine and drive as this is my paranoia content...!!! As for the subframe and shock mount area, this is all new fabrication work to accept the GS1200 seat so it is well catered for. I'm on my new laptop which doesn't have my picture files loaded yet but will post up later. I'm hoping to get it all finished off this year and get some testing done, bout flipping time...!!!
  • Angel of the North

Offline Markus77

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 11:17:14 AM »
Wow - impressive work! Looks like you're happy with the results and it is certainly unique. Overall weight would be a concern for me depending on how much off-road terrain you have planned for your trip but I'm sure you've looked into that. I have a 1200gs and believe me it is a beast to pick up especially if you're in sand/mud etc. Looking forward to seeing some more pictures for sure!
  • Toronto
  • '94 K75RT

Offline MEZ

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 12:00:46 PM »
Wow - impressive work! Looks like you're happy with the results and it is certainly unique. Overall weight would be a concern for me depending on how much off-road terrain you have planned for your trip but I'm sure you've looked into that. I have a 1200gs and believe me it is a beast to pick up especially if you're in sand/mud etc. Looking forward to seeing some more pictures for sure!
Hi Marcus, it’s planned terrain is anything you would encounter on a RTW trip with the wife on the back so not so much off road more so tarmac, Forrest roads light trails etc and yes me too, had my GSadv for 12 years now so am well equipped mentally. It’s the old argument of travel light or travel equipped..!!!

• Angel of the North

Offline gappy

• Curious
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 06:52:44 PM »
  Kool, I am impressed, but what is that big rack on the front for?
  • StLouis MO
  • 1992 K75s 1981r100rt 1988r100rt monolever 2003 suzuki burgman 650
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline MEZ

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 07:03:16 PM »
  Kool, I am impressed, but what is that big rack on the front for?

It hinges and grabs a dry bag/ bedding roll.

• Angel of the North

Offline jakgieger

• itinerant farmer
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 08:44:56 PM »
I like the bike :bmwsmile , safe travels.  Pictures or it never happened!
  • Kansas USA
  • 1989 K100rs se
"What we've got here is failure, to communicate.  Some men, you just cain't reach.  So you get what we had here last week.  Which is the way he wants it...Well, he gets it.  I don't like it any more than you men do."

Offline MEZ

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2018, 01:39:40 PM »
Attention 'Electrical' geeks. As a pretty ok sparky myself including auto electrics I seem to have a mental block when it comes to indicators. I am using some very robust LED lights sourced from the emergency services industry as indicators. I have had to integrate them using  GS1200 CAN-BUS style switch clusters and relays. My quandary is this, I have seen many LED friendly flasher units on ebay but I want to keep the hazard facility offered by the GS cluster. I have also spotted the many wiring diagrams on offer by Google image but which one is correct for my original K75 loom. Has anyone on here customising their Bricks used a retrofit LED compatable flasher unit keeping the hazard theme running...??? I would be in with a shout if the manual showed what went on inside these flasher relays but they don't so it will remain 'Witchcraft' until I find out...!!!! I know you can use resisters to get round this but they are too bulky for my application.
Any and all responses welcomed……

Mez
  • Angel of the North

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2018, 02:26:32 PM »
I have also spotted the many wiring diagrams on offer by Google image but which one is correct for my original K75 loom.
Any and all responses welcomed……
Without your showing us the diagrams you viewed, it's nigh impossible to identify which is correct. :giggles

Regardless, read this thread in its entirety. It might have your solution within it. The trace-cutting technique seems to have worked for many here.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Martini

• Curious
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2018, 11:31:23 AM »
I wouldn't mind seeing other pictures of the bike while you read about schematics...
  • In my head
  • Loaning an R1200S, hoping to build a K75 Café Racer next year

Offline billday

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2018, 07:54:36 AM »
Does this remind anyone else of Tim Tyler's K75?
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2018, 04:03:05 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing other pictures of the bike while you read about schematics...
Click on the link beneath the line under Mez's post—several photos can be found. Also, click on the Profile icon under his name in this thread, then click on Show Posts, and read some of the threads in which he has been involved.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline MEZ

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2018, 01:52:10 AM »

* IMG_2898.JPG (113.43 kB . 640x480 - viewed 1373 times)
* IMG_2878.JPG (110.93 kB . 640x480 - viewed 1257 times)
* IMG_2872.JPG (100.2 kB . 640x480 - viewed 1278 times)
* IMG_2844.JPG (124.4 kB . 640x480 - viewed 1249 times)
Exciting times, I decided to have a big push on the K75 project bike and it's stripped down with final welding and linishing being done to various frame sections plus some electroplating to the smaller ancillary brackets.
I have to say one thing here fellow Brickers, i am blown away by how compact and simple the engine/gearbox/drive unit is and looks. I am inspired by this and full of confidence for a big trip.

Also more importantly i have weighed individually all of the bike and have an estimated gross weight. Both me and my fabrication guru are a little suprised and encouraged by the fact we were expecting a far higher estimate.
  • Angel of the North

Tags: