Author Topic: A humorous trip report Oatman, AZ June 2010  (Read 4154 times)

Offline Crapdealerbob

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
A humorous trip report Oatman, AZ June 2010
« on: June 12, 2011, 11:37:46 AM »
We took a three day mid week trip down to Laughlin and stayed at the Gold Nugget (free rooms of course!)  We rode the Beemer down on a Tuesday afternoon, and by 3 pm we were having a frosty adult beverage outside on the patio.  After a nice steak dinner at the Salt Grass Steakhouse we hit the video poker machines.  Donna and I were playing 25 cent machines when I was dealt a Royal Flush, yep, I didn't have to do anything but wait on my jackpot.  So our little trip was off to a fast start.  We then retired to the hot tub for some bubble relaxation -  video poker and Beemer riding is hard work!

The next day we hoped on the Beemer and rode to a little old Route 66 town called Oatman.  It is about 30 miles due east of Laughlin. Their main claim to fame is selling Route 66 stuff and wild burros.  By "wild" I mean they have the run of the town while tourist buy and feed them carrots.  So as soon as we started walking the burros come right up to us and see if you have "any" food.  The town put on a "real" western shootout, and gave another plug for buying carrots and feeding the burros.  We visited the hotel where Clark Gable & Carol Lombard spent their honeymoon, and were frequent visitors.  We bought a few Route 66 pins.  After being assaulted by the "wild" burros again we walked down to the end of town and had a frosty Diet Pepsi.  As I was taking a few photo's of the town, Donna directed my attention to were we had parked the Beemer.  A 'wild' burro was trying to get, how shall I say "frisky" with the Beemer.  I told Donna - no it's next to a car and was rubbing it's throat on the corner of the windshield, then I saw the Beemer began to rock back & forth - sideways!!!  The frosty Diet Pepsi was discarded and I ran to protect my Beemer from being knocked over.  Without any regard to my own personal safety the burro and I became locked in a struggle over the virtue of my still upright Beemer.  I think the show we were putting on was attracting more tourist than the Wild West Shootout, only this was for real.  After several tense minutes, the frisky burro retreated to the middle of the street and glared at me.  The only good thing(or bad depending on your taste) was that the burro only had eyes for my Beemer and not the other 20 or so Harleys that were also parked about the town.  After catching my breath we packed up the Beemer and said goodbye to Oatman.

This is not the "frisky"burro

We rode the old Route 66 to Kingman.  Along the way we stopped at  Cool Springs, AZ.  It was a restored old time gas station and museum.  Before the restoration it had the honor of being blown up in the movie "Universal Soldier" with Claude Van Damn.  We spent about an hour there listening to the man who was running it explain the history behind the station and showing us around the little museum.  Then it was on to Kingman, AZ and back to Laughlin.  We had another steak dinner and played some more video poker, but didn't hit any other jackpots.  Then it was back to Vegas on Thursday.  When we got home and after downloading the pics from our little trip, we noticed a had taken a picture of the burro assaulting the Beemer, take a look inside the red circle, at the Beemer assaulting burro!!

We had a nice ride back through the desert, and came back over Hoover Dam.  The new bridge bypass is coming along, it is one high bridge.

My new sweat shirt..Donna got it for me, not sure what message she is trying to convey...

Crapdealerbob
Wickenburg, AZ
1991 K100 RS

Offline mystic red

• Retired Professsional Driver
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: A humorous trip report Oatman, AZ June 2010
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 12:00:38 PM »
No pictures of the burro assault? ;D

Offline Crapdealerbob

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 12:11:13 PM »
Mystic Red

No, the wife didn't think to snap any photos, she was too busy yelling at me not to touch the burro.  I kept telling her "what do you want me to do"?  She was very concerned that I would get the "mange" from the burro.  I placed myself between it and the Beemer and kept pushing it away, all the while a large crowd gathered to watch the contest!  This lasted about 5 minutes, the burro was quite aroused and it was must have been funny to watch.  When he finally moved out into the street, we loaded up and got the heck out of Dodge...
Crapdealerbob
Wickenburg, AZ
1991 K100 RS

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 07:38:50 PM »
i will help you out there crapdealerbob...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Tags: